Please dont hammer me...Basic Newbie question...hopefully

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
matt68061

Please dont hammer me...Basic Newbie question...hopefully

Post by matt68061 » November 27th, 2008, 11:29 pm

Hello all. Basically a newbie here. I purchased a MAME arcade machine from a friend who moved away several years ago (three at least). Worked great for years and now as I start the machine (computer turns on directly to front end) I get an error message that says "ERROR LOGS DIRECTORY NOT FOUND"... I am not totally computer illiterate but far from an expert. I have tried to search all the forums for similar issues but can not seem to find anything out. Hopefull this is so simple that it just never comes out.

I am not totally sure of which version I have but I can tell you it is running on Windows 98.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: Please dont hammer me...Basic Newbie question...hopefully

Post by Incito » December 1st, 2008, 11:47 am

Exit out of the frontend (should be Esc key unless he changed it) and find out what version of mame you are running. This will help us better. Also, tell me your OS the computer has (XP, OSX, Vista).

We don't hammer noobs here ;)
I was a noob once :o

matt68061

Post by matt68061 » December 1st, 2008, 5:46 pm

thanks!....Windows 98. MAME v.65

again, turn on computer...see the opening MAME page...it "thinks" for about 90 seconds and I get the error message "could not create "logs" directory"....I then try to manually run the launcher from the start menu (Glaunch, by the way)...it thinks for another minute and I get the same error message.

to make matters a little more confusing, my wireless keyboard is not being read. and yes...I have checked the batteries and usb connections.

this thing worked like a charm for years...until my kids had friends over and they kept hitting all the buttons while it was booting up...oh well.

after I have done all this poking around on the internet I do have some questions...mainly just curious.

My monitor is very bad..the horizontal/vertical is way off...the color is bad and no matter how much tinkering with all the settings it just stays, well, bad. constant flickering. I also do not have a track ball.

I am curious if I purchased a new monitor...one that just hooks directly into the back of a computer .... and if I purchased some new controls...like an X-arcade (or something like it)...could I just download the latest version of MAME, get the ROMs, (for a newer computer tower, more memory, newer OS, etc...) and plugged in some speakers...

I mean is it as simple as that? just wondering.

thanks again!

Kratos
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by Kratos » December 2nd, 2008, 9:56 am

matt68061 wrote:thanks!....Windows 98. MAME v.65

again, turn on computer...see the opening MAME page...it "thinks" for about 90 seconds and I get the error message "could not create "logs" directory"....I then try to manually run the launcher from the start menu (Glaunch, by the way)...it thinks for another minute and I get the same error message.

to make matters a little more confusing, my wireless keyboard is not being read. and yes...I have checked the batteries and usb connections.

this thing worked like a charm for years...until my kids had friends over and they kept hitting all the buttons while it was booting up...oh well.

after I have done all this poking around on the internet I do have some questions...mainly just curious.

My monitor is very bad..the horizontal/vertical is way off...the color is bad and no matter how much tinkering with all the settings it just stays, well, bad. constant flickering. I also do not have a track ball.

I am curious if I purchased a new monitor...one that just hooks directly into the back of a computer .... and if I purchased some new controls...like an X-arcade (or something like it)...could I just download the latest version of MAME, get the ROMs, (for a newer computer tower, more memory, newer OS, etc...) and plugged in some speakers...

I mean is it as simple as that? just wondering.

thanks again!
if i am understanding right, R saying....put everything on a new computer? it depends on your OS. i have xp and i use mame32 (same one offered n downloads section. windows 98 uses a fat files system and xp is ntfs. so you may only e able to copy you roms over to the roms folder in your new computer....same with snaps and icons. that is what i would do. spend the extra effort to have a clean install and make sure your directories is right. it is really not hard, but depending on the speed of your old computer and the method of copying, couple be time consuming..but who doesn't have a hour to burn ne way LOL.

xenon1
Gamer
Gamer
Favorite Game: Mortal Kombat 1 2 3l

Post by xenon1 » December 8th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Yeah, an hour to waste setting up a fresh install is nothing compared to the hours you'll spend (and have spent) playing it :D . A fresh install on a newer rig and it would be pretty much plug and play with the items you are talking about using.
If practice makes perfect and nobody's perfect then why practice?