Save state on exit

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
ShadowFlame
Gamer
Gamer

Re: Save state on exit

Post by ShadowFlame » July 13th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Not sure why it isn't working. The plugin is enabled and the box is also checked. I'll try running mameuifx 64 instead and see if it saves. If it doesn't, I'm just going to forget about it.

Not worth the hassle. Would be much better if Mame could just save state on exit for each game.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » July 13th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Hang in there, ShadowFlame. :link:

I just realised something. It's been a year or two since I last checked in on the Arcade main page. I was thinking about my idea for us to both get on the latest version and went to see what version number we're up to these days (which is 0.211). It was then that I noticed an archive link:

http://www.progettosnaps.net/arcade/

That makes life much easier since it means I can test your exact version.The other good thing about having the archive is that if it turns out that the problem still eludes us, you can simply grab a fresh copy for a clean install. I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this one way or another now without too much difficulty.

Do you have a reason for using the 32bit version, like, are you running MAME on WinXP or something?

ShadowFlame
Gamer
Gamer

Post by ShadowFlame » July 14th, 2019, 4:58 pm

I tried with Mameuifx64 and it only had the option under miscellaneous to "enable hiscore support". Which still didn't work.

I'm running window 7 64 bit, I downloaded the Mame and hyperspin files from a site called "arcade punks" I downloaded the HyperTate V2 file which is 30GB because it comes with more than just arcade ROMs, but I don't use anything else other than the arcade ROMs.

I appreciate your time in trying to figure this out. I am completely at a loss to why it refuses to save hiscore for the unsupported "save state on exit" games.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » July 14th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Long shot here, but is your hiscore.dat file set to read only..?
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 15th, 2019, 4:01 am

That's worth checking because something funky is surely going on.

I did a bunch of tests today, ShadowFlame, and have two things you could try, each with minor good points and bad points. Since you're on a 64bit OS, you should use Arcade64 instead of 32. That's nothing to do with the problem, just a general recommendation.

I suspect that something might be damaged in your current installation. The idea here is to create one or two separate, clean installations to test the problem. A fair bit of text below, sorry, but it's all straightforward stuff.

1. Sticking with 0.196

The 0.196 versions of Arcade at the Progetto archive are not complete packages for some reason. The plugins folder is missing for example, but we can get around that. So first, go here and get Arcade64 0.196:

http://www.progettosnaps.net/arcade/ (Note that the 64bit versions are the 2nd column of Downloads.)

Next, go here and get the MAME Binary, mame0196b_64bit.exe:

https://www.mamedev.org/oldrel.html

That's just to get a guaranteed 0.196 plugins folder. Rip the plugins folder out of that package and add it Arcade64 0.196. That's what I ended up doing when I found that the plugins folder was missing in the archive. Add your Twin Cobra ROMs and audit them, set up controls etc. and do the high score tests. Both games passed the test for me.

2. Moving to 0.211

Since the 0.196 archive seems to be a bit of a mess, I decided to check out the current version, 0.211. Everything seems to be in order in 0.211 from what I've seen so far, like, the plugins folder is already included. So, go to the Arcade page and grab ARCADE64 0.211 (64-bit, GUI):

http://arcade.mameworld.info/

Again, do all of the setup like I outlined before. Both games passed the test for me here as well.

So, to summarise the good points, bad points:

Option 1 keeps you on the same version to match your existing ROM set. The archive is incomplete, but there are workarounds.

Option 2 looks like a complete package. It moves you to the current version which may break compatibility with a few ROMs. That can be easily fixed, though.

Some other related thoughts I had today: I never really got into the Twin Cobra game before this, maybe just a quick go once or twice. There are so many great shmups in MAME. If left to my own devices, I tend to gravitate towards the ones I'm already into. It's been fun playing the Twin Cobra games during the tests I've run and seeing my high scores improve.

That's the other important point. I think having high scores saved is vital to the enjoyment of many arcade games. It's highly motivational to have those scores there to compete with yourself or with others. To me, that's worth a great deal of hassle to get it working properly.
:V:

ShadowFlame
Gamer
Gamer

Post by ShadowFlame » July 15th, 2019, 9:24 pm

No, it isn't. I've given up. Nothing is fixing it. Everything is set the way it should be, but it will not save hiscore.

ShadowFlame
Gamer
Gamer

Post by ShadowFlame » July 15th, 2019, 11:56 pm

I didn't see your other post. I will try 0.211 when I can and report back to here.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 16th, 2019, 2:56 am

Okay, good luck!

ShadowFlame
Gamer
Gamer

Post by ShadowFlame » July 16th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Hey,

I did what you suggested and tried 0.196 64bit on a different computer got the plugin folder and played twin Cobra 2 on it. It saved the high scores! :)

Now, I wonder if I can just copy this directory to the one that wasn't working and replace it .. it's on a modified arcade1up Pacman cabinet that I turned into the Mame cab for vertical Arcade games.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 16th, 2019, 9:15 pm

That's great news, ShadowFlame! :woot:

I think it would be okay to put the new directory in your setup, so long as you take some precautions. You obviously wouldn't want to inadvertently wipe out your ROMs collection. Your front-end, Hyperspin I believe it was, is probably configured to look for the precise folder name of your MAME, so take that into account.