Opinions regarding which LED monitor size to use

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Icarus

Opinions regarding which LED monitor size to use

Post by Icarus » September 22nd, 2014, 8:28 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently working on my first MAME cab, which is basically a restoration of a 1998 Atari Guantlet Legends Dark Legacy. It came with a 27" Wells Gardner CRT which appears to be missing some components so I'm considering just putting in an HD monitor instead. My cabinet space for a monitor measures 25" across, so I understand a 32" monitor is off the table. I've found this vizio which I think might fit nicely in there with a wall mount:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E280i-B1-28 ... B00H8JNI2S

I'm thinking I can just make a bezel for it and switch to a 4:3 aspect ratio for gaming. It measures 24 and 3/4" wide so I don't think it will be an issue. I believe the height is about 13 and 1/2". The old Wells Gardner measured 16" in height. I'm thinking this is the largest screen I can possibly fit into my cab.

Just wondering if I could get any thoughts or opinions from this great community? :) Are there better options out there or am I on the right track with this?

Thanks in advance! :hello:

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: Opinions regarding which LED monitor size to use

Post by Incito » September 23rd, 2014, 2:53 am

I say make it able to rotate like what PantherUK has so you can play vertical and horizontal games at full screen. So sacrifice a little on size, only to gain a bunch on vertical shooters. :wink:

Icarus

Post by Icarus » September 27th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Incito wrote:I say make it able to rotate like what PantherUK has so you can play vertical and horizontal games at full screen. So sacrifice a little on size, only to gain a bunch on vertical shooters. :wink:
That sounds like an awesome idea Incito! I've been looking around at the options and i'd really like to stay away from manually rotating the monitor. I've seen a couple motorized setups using a servo/arduino combination. Unfortunately I don't have very much knowledge when it comes to building a servo though I'd love to learn. I can't really find any good resources and/or kits that would be compatible with each other.

I understand i'll probably need a high torque servo, but if I get one should it work with any arduino board? Also not sure how this would mount to a standard VESA bracket for the monitor itself :|

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » September 28th, 2014, 9:46 pm

I saw a rotation using a regular motor, a long bolt and a coupe of switches. You don't need arduino to make this happen.