Computer Help

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
louisey

Computer Help

Post by louisey » April 19th, 2011, 12:14 am

Can you take a DVD-ROM drive from a computer tower with Windows 1998 and use it on a computer with XP? I got a bunch of games I wanted to install on this computer, but it turns out that this computer doesn't have a DVD-ROM Drive! Just a CD-ROM drive with the capability to burn CD-ROMs...

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: Computer Help

Post by Incito » April 20th, 2011, 10:15 pm

louisey wrote:Can you take a DVD-ROM drive from a computer tower with Windows 1998 and use it on a computer with XP? I got a bunch of games I wanted to install on this computer, but it turns out that this computer doesn't have a DVD-ROM Drive! Just a CD-ROM drive with the capability to burn CD-ROMs...
Short answer, yes.
Just make sure your bios sees the device. BUt should be no problem.

Atarix777
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Atarix777 » April 21st, 2011, 12:34 am

And don't forget to set the "Jumper" to the right setting...

Watch if your actual CD ROM is set to "Slave", "Master" or "Cable select" (you can see that when u take it out of your computer on the backside where you have to connect the power- and probably IDE cable) and put the DVD ROM's Jumper into the same positon before building it in.

It will not work if you try to run two MASTERS or SLAVES on one Cable.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » April 21st, 2011, 5:26 am

It's great that we have some clever people here with special areas of expertise. :SM:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » April 21st, 2011, 8:39 am

Great advice in this thread.

It's been a while but yeah i'm pretty sure newer motherboards are more forgiving in terms of master/slave drives, pretty much the only rule 'back in the day' when I was a tech on Windows 98 era PCs was to keep burners on their own port (meaning they would be set to master with the pin on their own slot) but you probably don't even need to do that anymore.

But yeah, it's generally super-easy to build your own PC from scratch these days. No floppy drives no nothin'. You can even format from a flash drive (usb stick) if you enable it in the BIOS (easier than it sounds... All you need to do is turn on your PC and press the key that it tells you to press to get into the BIOS and go from there).

I've had my current PC (which was already built for me) for about 7 years so I'm a bit rusty, but it really is simple these days and has always been pretty simple. Just be sure to earth yourself (have no power connected and touch the inside metal casing and don't be standing on carpet) before touching any hardware inside your PC.

But as Incito said, short answer is yes, lol. I just like talking geeky :P

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » April 21st, 2011, 6:44 pm

Good point about static electricity, Nos. You don't wanna give any sensitive components an irregular jolt. :bow: