If you could own..

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

If you could own..

Post by Thulsa » February 6th, 2010, 6:01 pm

If you could own any fully functional and fully restored Arcade Cabinets what would they be? Say you are starting up your own Personal Arcade. Which machines are a must for you?

I am going with the following.

Q*Bert

Gauntlet 2 - 4 Player

X-Men - 4 Player

Mortal Kombat 1 or 2

Ms. Pacman - Cocktail

Fisherman's Bait A Marlin Challenge - With Nifty Fishing Rod and Reel Controller.

Popeye - Yes I like Popeye.. there I said it. Now we can move on. lol

Smash T.V.

Star Wars

Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike

I could go on happily forever and say I want every single one. But I will stop there. I was going to add pics of the cabinets but I didn't want to take up too much space on the forums. Unless you guys want pics then I will add some pics as well!!

I think this is a good start to any Arcade.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: If you could own..

Post by Hierophant » February 7th, 2010, 8:57 am

There are a few games in your selection that would be a must for me too, so I won't repeat those in mine. My dream games arcade would be based on certain especially fond memories I have from a long history of playing arcade games since a very young age.

Pong

Ultra Tank

Space Invaders and Space Invaders Part II

Centipede

Missile Command

Defender

Asteroids

Galaga

I could list heaps more games from that era, but anyway, that's some of the essentials. Here's some in the more modern category.

Raiden and Raiden DX

Final Fight

Warriors of Fate

Vendetta

Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha

Darkstalkers

Starblade

And so on. Of course, I would have a 6 slot Neo Geo MVS running the following as well.

Sengoku

Metal Slug

Samurai Shodown IV

King of Fighters '98

Last Blade II

Real Bout 2

My fantasy arcade would also have to include a few old favourite pinball machines since that was a big part of growing up with arcades for me.

Gorgar

Flash

Firepower

Stellar Wars

And again, others too numerous to mention. Some of the more modern tables such as those seen in my Pinball thread would make a welcome addition too.

As you say though, it's a start. :woot:

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » February 7th, 2010, 10:40 am

Oh man if we are doing a Neo Geo wall!

Every single Metal Slug cabinet. Side by side

World Heroes is a must for me.

Also forgot to add Golden Axe how I skipped over it I have no idea. Golden Axe goes right by Gauntlet.

If we are throwing in Pinball machines I would go with...

Adams family

Terminator

Dr. Who

And since we have neglected Light guns I would throw in...

Jurassic park

Operation Wolf

Terminator 2
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » February 7th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Awwh yeah... I'm reminded of how Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder blew my mind the first time I saw it. I could definitely go for some Ghosts'n Goblins/Ghouls'n Ghosts action in there too. I totally forget to honour Xevious, the first big time vert scrolling shooter I ever played, and I played it LOTS! Heh heh... I was also thinking about gun games later on after I posted, namely Alien3 The Gun and Space Gun.

Btw, it's your thread bro, post any appropriate pics you want if you feel like it.

Check out this awesome Starblade cab. That's one big box of glory. SAAAWEEEEET!!! :hooray:

Playing Starblade any other way would be tame in comparison to hopping aboard that monster!

Here's some nice technical info on Starblade from the System 16 site:
system16.com wrote:Notes : Had a big concave screen that made it seem a lot larger than it actually was, It's a shiny dark plexy-glass molded 1.10m diam. concave mirror which reflects the inverted image of a 25 inch 15kHz monitor just above the players head. The result is an enlarged 'lens' effect, like surround vision cinema.

Then we have the sound:
4 channels 'real' surround sound (2 front, 2 back). The laser canons sound from the rear speakers and the lasers 'swooshes' to the front speakers, nice to hear actually. The balance between front and rear is adjustable.

Rumble pack:
The first american version has the 'electric motor with a off-balanced weight' positioned beneath the seat. The second american version and the european version had the motor placed inside the seats back. As the seat module was placed above the base structure and supported by 3 rubber cylinders, the rumble effect was quite noticable when getting hit by enemy lasers and when dying.

There were 3 versions of the Starblade cabinet that I know of, 2 american and a european. The european was more durable and heavier than the first american. It also had the lights in the back portion and different plastic decoration. The second american was like the european but had no back lights and was somewhat simpler.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » February 7th, 2010, 8:29 pm

OOOOOH!!! StarBlade that is one serious cabinet!

As for the pics I was ready to throw up a pic of every Arcade that I listed. I was in love with the 4 four player Gauntlet Arcade Machine back when I was young. I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

I don't know many 4 player machines that hit before Gauntlet. I would still prefer Gauntlet 2 as it had the great intro music.
~Thulsa Doom~

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » February 8th, 2010, 10:03 am

For nostalgia reasons I would have to own Computer Space, the very first arcade game ever in production and very cool looking cabinet! Read about it here!

The rest are as follows:
Afterburner
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong
Star Wars
House of the Dead 4
Street Fighter 2 Champion Ed.
Robotron
Vampire Hunter aka Dark Stalkers.

...I am sure there are more I will add later :wink:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » February 8th, 2010, 11:00 pm

Interesting molded cab design that. Looks like something outta the Jetsons.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » February 10th, 2010, 5:07 pm

For me, it would have to be games that can't be done any justice in MAME. Like some racing car games and gun games.

Obviously I would love a real street fighter 2 arcade machine and stuff like that as well though, and I've seen some on ebay/whatever for around $500 AUD ($437 USD).

I have a spare room that I could turn into an arcade room too!

But I still can't justify it :tongue:

Smeghead

Post by Smeghead » May 18th, 2010, 2:43 pm

If I ever see a working full cabinet TRON I will sell one of my kids to buy it