Another Top 5 - Top Fighting Games

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Another Top 5 - Top Fighting Games

Post by Thulsa » December 23rd, 2009, 11:08 pm

I have seen a good deal of talk about vs. fighting games on the forums. I thought I would throw up a top 5 list since I am working tomorrow and I will need something to read. :clapping:

So what I am looking for is your top five vs. fighting games and what characters you like to use and why. It doesn't have to be a particular game it can be a series or anything along those lines.

#5 Soul Caliber specifically Soul Caliber 3.
Favorite Character:
Kilik - No major reason other than I think the simplicity of fighting with a Quarter Staff is awesome.
Asteroth - Big mean and very quick for the big man of the series. Most large fighters tend to be powerful but extremely slow. Almost to the point to where they are not worth playing. Minus maybe the demon Zangief, Asteroth is one of the first big men in a fighting game that is really worth using.

#4 Mortal Kombat 2 or 3
Favorite Character:
Sub-Zero - Personally I enjoy ice themed characters and Sub Zero was a nemesis of so many of my friends when we played I had to make a serious use of sub-zero just to annoy them.
Raiden - hmm Thunder god! What more do you need to know.

#3 Capcom vs. Snk 1 & 2
Favorite Characters:
Akuma, Chun-Li, God Rugal, Ken, Blanka, Ryo, Iori - Really I didn't know anything about the world of SNK until I picked up some comics based on SvC. Those comics got me interested in the games themselves. I find Capcom vs. SNK 2 in particular to be a fantastic fighting game. The characters over the years become some of my favorites fit my play style while others I use just to throw opponents off.

#2 Marvel vs Capcom 2 HD or original
Favorite Characters:
Ice Man - My favorite X-man, ice themes as mentioned before, and one of the best defensive characters in the game. People just don't know it. :lipssealed:
Jill Valentine - A character that is speedy and fast and has multiple special abilities to throw people off. And to be honest just plain cool.

There are many more but I won't go naming off all my favorites this post is already getting too long.

#1 Street Fighter Series - in particular Super Street Fighter HD Remix, Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike. I could have easily put 3 or 4 street fighter games in the top 5 but I wanted to make room for others.
Favorite Characters:
Ken, Chun-Li, Blanka, Sakura, Akuma, E. Honda

3rd Strike in particular is one of the best fighting games out there. The characters I use have just become a main stay throughout the years. It's always nice to sit in front of TV or computer monitor and know the moves no matter what game you will be playing.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Another Top 5 - Top Fighting Games

Post by Hierophant » December 31st, 2009, 4:55 am

1. Fatal Fury series.

With the top quality titles Real Bout Special, Real Bout 2, and Garou - Mark of the Wolves, Fatal Fury just can't be beat!

"Hey, how's it goin' dude, and let's begin! Choose your favourite character." Obviously my avatar is a dead giveaway here. Terry is the coolest!

2. Samurai Shodown series.

Easily the best 2D weapons-based fighting games by far. Nothing else even comes close.

Haohmaru is the man! I usually seem to stick with the main men when it comes to the characters I most identify with. It also helps that Haohmaru is based on the heroic Miyamoto Musashi.

3. King of Fighters series.

The ever popular KOF transformed the versus fighting genre with it's team battle system. Being a wizard at only one character won't cut it here. You'll need to master at least three if you're ever gonna get very far.

Fatal Fury Team. Errh yeah, heh heh... that would be the team with good ol' Terry in it! Not to mention his brother Andy and their good friend, Joe.

4. Street Fighter series.

The legendary game that started it all! Enough said.

Ken rules! When we first got SFII for the SNES my bro would always pick Ken, so I'd always end up with Ryu (even though I secretly preferred Ken). I know I could have invoked the code for Same Character in Vs. Mode, but I've never been fond of same character battles so I just put up with being Ryu for ages.

5. The Versus series.

You all know what I'm talking about, right? The series where characters from Capcom, SNK, and Marvel often collide. So many great games!

With way too many cool characters in this series I'll just give a special mention to a couple of my fave Marvel guys: War Machine with his awesomely destructive Proton Cannon; and Spiderman with his funny comic book taunts. "HEY! C'MON! DO YOUR JOB!"

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Re: Another Top 5 - Top Fighting Games

Post by Seraph » January 25th, 2010, 5:03 am

Before I begin, just remember that this was a very difficult list for me and they all deserve to be highly respected.

#5 Street Fighter Series - Without Street Fighter we would not have the breadth of fighting games that we have at our disposal today. This game relates to and appeals to so many different people that you have to give it the kudos it's due.

#4 Tekken Series - This game not only brought hope to 3D fighting gameplay for me, but allows you to beat someone down with many different fighting styles. The "tag" feature alone puts this at #4 for me! My only disappointment to the series is that after the success of Tekken Tag Tournament, we have to play Takken 4-6 without that EPIC feature. I think they want to keep it as a trilogy feature and it's only a matter of time for Tekken 6 to die down and we see Tekken Tag Tournament 2!

#3 Mortal Kombat Series - I know Street Fighter came first but SO WHAT! This game is violent and later on had so many characters to choose from that you could spend hours and days just figuring out how the next person should die.

#2 Marvel & X-Men Series - I am loyal to Marvel so this is a given for me, but back when I was playing X-Men on the Arcade, I wanted to see a "Street Fighter-Like" fighting game with Marvel characters. I got my wish in spades!

#1 vs. Series - I have to agree on the fact that not only does this bring multiple worlds together for epic battles, which before these titles people only dreamed of (marvel characters vs. Resident Evil and Mega Man characters); BUT I think it allows people with a difference in fighting games to come together and duke it out!
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)