Favourite older gaming systems that aren't arcade

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Re: Favourite older gaming systems that aren't arcade

Post by Nostalgia » July 4th, 2009, 2:09 am

xenon1 wrote:I may be giving my age away but my favorite game that isn't arcade is the Intellivision console....
I don't know if you've seen this yet:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry ... tack/32245

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry ... tack/32647

It's a two part episode on the intellivision by AVGN (angry video game nerd). I enjoyed it :hehe:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » July 9th, 2009, 12:15 am

That reminds me of my first experience with a home console. One of my uncles had an Atari 2600 when I was a kid. Cool right? Well unfortunately the first game I played on it was Superman as featured in this vid from the Nerd:

http://screwattack.com/AVGN/2008/Superman

It's lucky I didn't get put off video games for life. :sick:

lee
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme
Favorite Game: The King Of Fighters

Post by lee » July 11th, 2009, 4:12 am

I'm sorry to say...but It's Sega Dreamcast that was way better back in the day. SNES was not as amazing in the adventure games department. And Shenmue on the Dreamcast was like WTF! BTW...sweet baby jesus for that super man game...very traumatic experience at a young age...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 11th, 2009, 7:11 am

Zelda on SNES is still generally regarded by experts as one of the best adventure games ever made.
:link:

If there was an adventure game on DC that can even come close to comparing to Zelda I never heard of it. There's a bit of a technological generation gap between DC and SNES. I believe I may have been mistaken earlier thinking DC was part of the PSX, N64 era. It seems DC is actually classified in the same console generation as PS2, GC, and Xbox, so it's pushing the envelope a bit far for what's been defined as an "older" system here.

lee
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by lee » July 11th, 2009, 11:41 am

ok SNES has ONE excellent game, while Dreamcast has MANY good games; quantity over quality.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 11th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Yeah, I guess the poor old SNES could only manage to get one top 10 game in the list of Best-Selling Video Games of All Time if that's any measure of success. (Sarcasm intended; all games on the list I linked are for various Nintendo systems.)

:mario:

lee
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by lee » July 11th, 2009, 12:43 pm

But when Dreamcast makes a series it continues on to the next console and never dissapoints, when SNES makes serieses its never remade until like a decade later, perfect example...SAMURAI SHOWDOWN lmfao, i was so confused when i saw the trailer, SNES is awesome, Dreamcast is just better to play (and Neo Geo is the best of course).

suits00
Guru Supreme
Guru Supreme
Favorite Game: STREETFIGHTER

Post by suits00 » July 11th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Hierophant wrote:Yeah, I guess the poor old SNES could only manage to get one top 10 game in the list of Best-Selling Video Games of All Time if that's any measure of success.
:mario:
It is a measure of success indeed. Technically they can pull a Chris Jericho "We are the best in the world at what we do!!" "We have the best selling game of all time!!" "Dreamcast is nothing more than a pandering hypocrite that is not even on our stature!!" "Now we will unveil another Mario series and break our own record of best selling video game of all time!!". :rofl: :rofl:

lee
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by lee » July 11th, 2009, 10:40 pm

MARIO IS OVERRATED,
CASE 1: Mario Sunshine
CASE 2: Insanely identical plot...different gameplay
CASE 3: The fact that Mario is a italian plumber who rides a egg farting dinosaur named yoshi to rescue a princess (whose name is peach) from a spiked fire breathing turtle named Bowser is not at ALL strange to ANYONE?? What were the writers thinking when they wrote this??

Dreamcast...hmmm hypocrisy? Its as straightforward as say...Marvel Vs Capcom and Sonic (which had its own popular TV Series..can;t say the same to Mario) I love SNES, Love Dreamcast a HELL of alot more.

suits00
Guru Supreme
Guru Supreme
Favorite Game: STREETFIGHTER

Post by suits00 » July 11th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Lol, I was just joking and trying to copy Chris Jericho and his antics. And yes Dreamcast's games may have had their own TV series but Mario games are still being made and sold (can't say the same for Dreamcast or its games).