The Nostalgia Thread

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

The Nostalgia Thread

Post by eliaskeme » January 3rd, 2012, 2:53 pm

Nope it has nothing to do with our great member Nos but it has to do with that feeling we have about good old times (this is a Hellenic word called "νοσταλγία"). And since I post it in a forum like this, you guessed it, it is about arcades, and generally videogame times we all had back in the day. I came up with that after I remembered the talking we had with Atarix during a stream, plus, the fact that the last December I spent most time remembering things I did when I was young (I was done with the university at the middle of December so). I would like everyone here to share some of their memories of "those days" they all had fun (I'm speaking about the past cause I know that even now we have fun). By the way here's Hiero's From The Collection thread that I'm sure is amazing...

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: The Nostalgia Thread

Post by Incito » January 6th, 2012, 11:15 pm

Thanks to a Arcade just opening up down the street from my house, I have had some memories that I got to relive. One such memory was when I played Donkey Kong for the first time. I was so amazed at the ability to control the cartoon like graphic from the controls. Oddly enough, this first time play of DK was at a laundry mat.
The Arcade I used to go to as a kid was a blast. Dim lighting, loud arcade noises, people placing a quarter on the control panel showing that challenge is their at Street Fighter 2.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » January 7th, 2012, 6:48 am

In some way I would say that this still is related our bro, Nos, even if you didn't intend it, since Nos chose the name "Nostalgia" for the feeling of the good old arcade times. Nos even used to work in an arcade when he was a young bloke. I never worked in any arcades myself, but I sure used to spend a lotta time hanging around in them.

Everyone should know what a "pub crawl" is. Back in high school, some of my mates and I would occasionally go on "arcade crawls" around Sydney. We used to have some pretty good arcades here in Wollongong, but if you wanted see a lot more of the latest pinballs and video games, then Sydney was the go. We would organise to all save up as much of our meager pocket money as we could and head up to Sydney on a Saturday via a 2hr each way train trip. There were about ten main arcades in the Sydney CBD in those days. We'd spend the whole day crawling from one to the next until we'd blown all our money.

Similar to what Chris described, some of those old arcades were dark, seedy, smoke-filled dives that were probably set up by underworld figures to supplement other forms of income. Others were clean, bright, and more professionally laid out. We didn't care either way, so long as they had new machines to check out.

I used to mow a lotta lawns to make my pocket money when I was in high school. Putting hard-earned money into those machines was part of what created a different feeling in arcades compared to, say, console gaming at home, or even playing MAME on the PC. The intensity of the experience was always much more concentrated when money was scarce and you were paying for each game on the spot. You really wanted to make the most of every precious coin!

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » January 7th, 2012, 8:49 am

Well since my father was (and still is) the owner of this cafe-bar with the arcades I didn't have any problem loading the machine with coins :hehe: But we did go to a place called "Stadium" with school after we watched a movie and it has filled with games like Time Crisis (with the lightgun), several versions of Virtua Striker (the old ones we had AND the newer ones we had at that time), some Metal Slugs (including the X which my friend and I played just to see how good we were after a long time), PhotoPlays, some racing games with motorcycles (you were riding the motorcycle machine to steer) and the one I didn't stop playing, Mace: The Dark Age. And that's half the Stadium cause the other half is a bowling Colloseum !!! So when we were informed at school that we were gonna watch the movie and then we'd go to the Stadium I got extra 10€ just to make them 50cent coins cause you never knew what my friend and I would play and how much we were gonna spend !!

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » January 7th, 2012, 9:06 am

Another thing I just remembered is that my sisters and I used to go with my parents at the house of a family we are great friends all these years (in fact my mother baptised their older son and my father their younger) and play with their PS1 all time. But I must say that their bedroom didn't only have the PS1. It had around 70-80 (yes 70-80) table games which my sisters prefered playing with the older son while the younger and I were facing each other at TEKKEN 3. However the TEKKEN 3 had only the default characters (they didn't unlock the rest of them) so I only played with Law since he was the one I knew how to play with back then (we had the cabinet with the PS1 in it so I was playing the PS version of TEKKEN 3 using the lever and buttons). But it was this day (I can't remember 25th Match or 28th October) when we celebrate the rebellion against the Turks in 1821 and the "NO" we said to the Italinas in 1940 and every year we make a parade. So after the parade my friends, sisters and their mothers went to this Heaven of games to play. I didn't mention that the younger son had probably the most toys in Lakkoma so when someone was going there he had many things to play with. So while some of my friends were playing the table games and others with the Action Man and Power Rangers figures the boy had I was playing TEKKEN 3 with my friends. It was a lot of fun to see so many people in one room but after the time passed by almost everyone had to leave (except us for the reason I mentioned). So at that tiem my sisters and I decided to unlock all the characters and I must say we did it and pretty quick (after someone completed the game the other one was taking his place so everyone was happy). This was probably the best day of my childhood (not only cause we didn't have school) because I was with my friends and sisters and we all had a lot of fun !!! :hooray:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 15th, 2012, 4:34 am

I'm not sure why, but lately I've been having a lotta PS1 nostalgia.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » January 16th, 2012, 1:27 pm

I always find myself moving through the decades of gaming. Sometimes it's the 80's then it might be 90's. Just depends. Right now I am stuck back in the 80's. Been playing a ton of classics.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » January 16th, 2012, 5:53 pm

As Hiero said, I chose my name because nostalgia is a huge thing for me. It's been a bit sad for me lately though, as I am gradually coming to realise that there isn't much left for me to revisit after spending the last few years finding all the games I used to play on consoles and arcade (through emulators). When I find an old treasure and try it out, watching the attract mode and eventually playing through a few levels, memories come flooding back and it's quite a powerful feeling!

I don't just recall being young playing the games, but also all the old friends I had, the places we used to go to get food on school holidays before rollerblading and of course often going to an arcade... Generally just memories of when I didn't have a worry in the world.

Watching old films and listening to old songs is another big nostalgia tool for me! Hiero you might want to do what I did and go on Wikipedia and check out the Triple J Hottest 100 lists from the 90s. My god there are some classics that take me back!

Here's one that relates to my memories of renting Sega Master System games out from the video shop. Man this takes me back...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 17th, 2012, 12:11 am

It tends to go in cycles for me. I'm very reminiscent about PS1 at the moment. There's no telling what kinda nostalgic phase will hit me after that, or even how long it will take for the current PS1 phase to wear off and when it will eventually come back around again.

I didn't think about how it applies to other art forms. Apart from movies, TV shows, and music, I also go through nostalgia cycles for certain books and end up reading them again.

Nos, this little Aussie gem first appeared in 1998:

WOW OOH WUH OH! :wistle:

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » January 17th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Hiero wrote:I'm not sure why, but lately I've been having a lotta PS1 nostalgia.
Hiero actually I also have that PS1 nostalgia nowadays...mainly cause of Chris' "Hard Boss" thread. As I mentioned there "Remember my childhood". Oh by the way I'm very glad to say that after I found a cable for power I found out that my PS1 is WORKING (it's been out of use for 8 years). However I do need the AV-out cable, a controller and a memory card (not to mention the games). HOWEVER a friend of mine said that he still has his PS1, cables, controllers, memory cards AND TEKKEN 3 !!! Time to start practising in ePSXe apparently...
Nostalgia wrote:I don't just recall being young playing the games, but also all the old friends I had, the places we used to go to get food on school holidays before rollerblading and of course often going to an arcade... Generally just memories of when I didn't have a worry in the world.
Nos I know how that feels. In fact the last day of 2011 my friend (the one I mentioned) and I were driving all around the village remembering the good times we had back then. The best example would be when we were driving past the parks and I was like "Oh do you remember when we came here with school ??" and he was like "Yeah when we stepped on grass we rushed to the goalposts and make teams to play football"..although there weren't goalposts but what we call here "airstairs". Great days :hooray: