Arcade Cabinet Discussion/Advice

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Arcade Cabinet Discussion/Advice

Post by Thulsa » January 12th, 2010, 10:20 am

Hello MAME Addicts

I have recently run into some spare change that will allow me to finally purchase a new arcade cabinet.

I was hoping to get some feedback from the forums if anyone has purchased or has thought about a pre-built cabinet or if you know anyone that has purchased from any of the companies below and what there experience was???

I am looking at the following websites

North Coast Customs
Dream Arcades
X- Arcade
(links not included as I am still unsure about the policies for putting up links on this site)

North Coast Customs
By far seems to be the most expensive and impressive when it comes to the ability to customize your own cabinet. I like both there cocktail and there upright made for the X-Arcade Tank Stick.

Dream Arcades
Their Cabaret unit looks great and is priced better. I worry about the height on it though. It seems pretty small at around 5'3 according to there FAQ. Granted I would be sitting most of the time but I am 6'3 which makes me a bit nervous with this product.

Their 4 player cocktail with track ball looks great as well.

Last is X-Arcade
Personally this pony leads the way. It is a great price and good size. I bought a dual tank stick from them about a year ago and have nothing but good things to say about it. I am looking at there 799.00 with the option of adding the monitor for another 425. It seems priced right but honestly I don't like the look as much as the other ones.

So any help, comments, quandaries, questions, or concerns please have at it. I am looking for a very great discussion to help me make an informed decision when it comes to a purchase this large.

Thanks in advance
Thulsa
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Re: Arcade Cabinet Discussion/Advice

Post by Thulsa » January 12th, 2010, 9:51 pm

With further clarification from a member...

Here are said Cabinets!

North Coast Customs

http://www.mameroom.com/Categories.asp?ID=ArcadeSystems

I think some of you are familiar with there customizable cabinet as I have seen a thread floating around with pics of desired builds.

I am interested in either the cocktail or the upright.

Dream Arcades

They have either kits or pre-built. The cabaret is the one that looks too small to use for any real amount of time IMO.

Cabaret
http://www.dreamarcades.com/cabiocade.shtml

4 Player Cocktail
http://www.dreamarcades.com/3-scade.shtml

X-Arcade

http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-mac ... r-machine/

So any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, or advice for this post and the one above would be great.

Thanks
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

suits00
Guru Supreme
Guru Supreme
Favorite Game: STREETFIGHTER

Post by suits00 » January 13th, 2010, 3:16 pm

I like the North Coast Customs. Their cabinets look very pro and the kits look great and easy to put together. I have not ordered any cabinets in the past, so I don't know about the insides. The Dream Arcades and X-Arcade ones look ok, but I bet you can built something 10 times better looking than the cabinets they offer and for less money. They just seem like too much money. The x-arcade tank stick or 2 player cp looks horrible, the way they have it mounted IMO. The 4-player sit down from dream arcades is about $2100 with shipping, which is way too much, I think. The North Coast one is awfully expensive as well, but looks the best out of the three and is most customizable IMO. ALso, the North Coast kits are cheaper if I am not mistaken. So, if I really really had to buy a cabinet and not enjoy all the fun (lol) of making one myself, I would go with North Coast Customs kit or system.
Suits00,

P.S.
You can disregard anything I said, remember its YOU who is gonna enjoy whichever cabinet you are gonna buy. If you don't go with North Coast, X-Arcade would be second choice on my list.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » January 13th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Thanks for the advice suits.

I agree the North Coast cabinets are probably the best. My only concern is the sheer size of there cabinets. I am really starting to lean towards a cocktail cabinet. Who knows I will spend the next 3 days thinking and probably buy something completely opposite of what was discussed here.

It is ending up being a rather hard choice. I kind of wish I had not googled custom arcade cabinets. lol
~Thulsa Doom~

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » January 15th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Well I made my choice.

In the end size does matter. I went with the smallest option there was despite my original misgivings. After some careful measurements I realized the smaller Dream Arcade Cabaret kit was the best choice for me.

I could not get over the looks of the X-Arcade cabinet nor could I get past the sheer size of the North Coast Custom designs.

I will let you all know when it arrives and how it plays. I intend to post pictures as well if the forums would like to see it.

http://www.dreamarcades.com/upr.shtml

~Thulsa~
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » January 16th, 2010, 8:17 am

Thulsa wrote:I will let you all know when it arrives and how it plays. I intend to post pictures as well if the forums would like to see it.[/url]

~Thulsa~
Yeah, post some pics when you're ready mate. I wanna see the insides of it as well. I like seeing vids of these things in action too if that could be arranged.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » January 16th, 2010, 2:58 pm

I will be more than happy to take some interior and exterior pics. I will see what I can do about a video. I am planning a MAME night with some of my friends when it arrives. I am assuming I need make sure Aliens vs. Predator is running in the background. :clapping:

Right now I plan on using Mala as a front end. Does anyone have any pro or cons for a proper front end???
~Thulsa Doom~

suits00
Guru Supreme
Guru Supreme
Favorite Game: STREETFIGHTER

Post by suits00 » January 16th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Nice choice and I hope you enjoy it Thulsa. I too want to see it in action, you can do the first MameAddicts Review just in case anyone else wants to buy one. As far as frontends, I have heard good things about Mala and Gameex. Their is a new frontend called hyperspin, it looks really cool. As for me I use Mamewah and that's the one I am most familiar with.

Mamewah:
Pros:
-Customizable (Skins, etc)
-flexible/Runs emulators I tried so far (Mame, Zinc, Daphne, Snes, CPS3, Mame32, Mame32++)
-Plays preview videos for games (Avi format and windows format I believe)
-Works with Mame32 and Mame32++ (U can have endless Mames, but have to rename them )
-Filters roms
-Plays background music
-Controller via arcade controller
-Supports Intro Video
-Small file size
-Stable

Cons:
-Other than previews, it fairly stationary
-Not as easy to config as other frontends
-Requires ini file editing

For me though, it was easier to config than most other frontends. Then again, its a matter of choice. I would definitely go with Mala, its a great frontend and would be my second choice after Mamewah. Mala's website is here and they offer a list of the pros, but no cons, hehe. I would also check out Gameex and Maximus arcade. Maximus Arcade ranks number 2 in terms of eye candy, after Hyperspin. Maximus was easy to use, but I could not get more than one Mame to run on it, it could have changed now.

Hope this helps,
Suits00

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » January 16th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Suits, you're MAME cab help and advice is invaluable. :SM:

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » January 17th, 2010, 7:57 am

I second that!

Thanks for the advice! I will try Mala first and see how I like it. Currently I use the command line version of MAME so anything will be a step up in terms of a graphics and menu selection.

I am looking forward to combining my collection of games with my new cabinet. I am hoping for a seem less integration but I am sure I will hit a few snags along the way.
~Thulsa Doom~