First attempt at a cab

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
g5rry

First attempt at a cab

Post by g5rry » February 23rd, 2014, 2:59 pm

http://s975.photobucket.com/user/Gerry2 ... how/Arcade

Used to love playing arcade games so thought I would have ago at making my own.
Got loads of help and tips online, so thought I would join a forum and maybe give something back, will probably end up in the crap mame, hall of fame, but the best I could do.
Hope I get the pictures in as I took a few as I was going along.
This was the thoughts to start with, I had to make one as it had to be slim to fit in the room, I had an old laptop that had been kicking around for a few years, battery had it, keys missing but would do the job, an old monitor again been lying around a while and an old 2.1 speaker system found out in the summer house. Hardware sorted at no cost.
So with help from a mate we knocked up a cabinet out of 18mm MDF in two and half hours.
A few coats of suitable satin finish black paint.
Hole placement, a bit of a worry but went simple, also decided to slope the back panel.
Had purchased some bits online, joysticks, buttons, speaker covers etc.
View of the back, won't be seen often!!!
Had a marquee specially made to fit, and notice the home made sprung loaded button to put the laptop into sleep when it is fitted into the back.
I wanted to have a screen that would rotate, so we came up with this concoction on the back.
Once I had the front end working (hyperspin) and happy with things working, it was time to put everything in place.
Started to take shape but needed some tweaks, so monitor bezel was painted black to blend in better and finally the addition of the chrome edging strip.
Well pleased with the outcome was done in one week and a cost of a fraction over £80.00.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: First attempt at a cab

Post by PantherUK » February 24th, 2014, 2:22 am

Looks good mate, nice to see another rotating monitor, I thought I was the only one... :wink:
Ooer... No pictures...

g5rry

Post by g5rry » February 24th, 2014, 6:31 am

PantherUK wrote:Looks good mate, nice to see another rotating monitor, I thought I was the only one... :wink:
There is another, I thought it was the way to go but no else seemed to do it that way. No hassle to spin it and get full screen every time :thumbsup:

g5rry

Post by g5rry » February 24th, 2014, 3:45 pm

One unusual thing (I think anyway) I did with mine was to use a usb extension cable and attached an LED light for the marquee.
Works quite well, alas I had hoped that when the laptop was put to sleep it would go off, but it doesn't.
Anyone have any idea if there is a way to make it?, if not I suspect it will not last overly long.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » February 25th, 2014, 5:29 pm

There should be an option within windows, possibly through the device manager to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power..." I would imagine you need to click on the properties for the USB hub or something to look for this... Failing that hibernating the PC should turn it all of but it will take longer to restart...
Ooer... No pictures...

g5rry

Post by g5rry » February 25th, 2014, 6:15 pm

PantherUK wrote:There should be an option within windows, possibly through the device manager to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power..." I would imagine you need to click on the properties for the USB hub or something to look for this... Failing that hibernating the PC should turn it all of but it will take longer to restart...
Cheers for the advice, have checked the settings in device manager, alas make no difference. With my strange push button I can only put it to sleep or fully shut down.
I work on the laptop via remote access from an iMac so can make changes with relative ease.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Shut down USB light when in sleep mode

Post by Incito » March 1st, 2014, 10:26 am

The absolute best answer I can give is that you need to adjust your advanced power settings (Control Panel>Power Options). Open that up and go into USB Setting. Make sure Plugged in and On Battery are enabled.

I actually found some picture here so I don't have to upload any! :wink:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... roblem.htm

Also, here is some helpful info.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/arc ... spend.aspx

It sound like your light is just not detectable because is only uses he v5 USB connections. Therefore, window may not even see it?

g5rry

Re: Shut down USB light when in sleep mode

Post by g5rry » March 3rd, 2014, 1:41 pm

Hi
Thanks for the advice, alas as this is running from an old Dell laptop it doesn't have such in depth options within the power plans, nothing relating to usb at all.
Not a problem I will have to install a proper light with a power on/off button, just thought this was a clever work around, clearly not and probably why no one else seems to have done it. :crying:

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » March 3rd, 2014, 1:49 pm

Ok, I know this issue.
Go to the dell site and download the latest USB drivers. Sounds like someone reinstalled windows from a disk and did not load all the device drivers.
Even if there was an error on the device, you would not see it on device manager.
Give that a try before throwing the towel in. :wink:

g5rry

Post by g5rry » March 3rd, 2014, 2:16 pm

Been on the Dell site but there doesn't appear to be any update for the usb drivers (Vostro 1000, running Vista 32bit) Don't want to risk cocking up what I have got working to cure this unless it is fairly straight forward, I've had a few doses of one step forward two steps back whilst trying to get things working, especially pinball that was right fun and games Hyperspin got in a right flap with that!!!