DeeJayTai's first MAME Cabinet

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
DeeJayTai
Favorite Game: Mat Mania

DeeJayTai's first MAME Cabinet

Post by DeeJayTai » November 6th, 2013, 5:18 pm

First off, at the time I knew NOTHING about making a MAME cab. I just knew I WANTED ONE. So when I saved enough, I just purchased a TankStick, an Xtension Cabinet from 'rec room masters' and decided to modify it to my liking. Cut out the top part and added a fluorescent light and bought a custom marquee. Made the bezel out of thick cardboard and glued the grafix. Changed some buttons to match the TankStick's color scheme. Added a 4-way stick at the top. Added stickers and decals I purchased online, and added a real coin door. UPDATE: White side buttons are now red LEDs.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: DeeJayTai's first MAME Cabinet

Post by PantherUK » November 6th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Well that is pretty sweet work from somebody not knowing anything..! :wink:
Nice one and thanks for sharing...
Ooer... No pictures...

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » November 7th, 2013, 10:53 am

Looks good to me. Any Arcade cabinet that works is a good cabinet.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme
Favorite Game: KOF 96

Post by ChameleonAlpha » November 7th, 2013, 10:09 pm

It's simple, but awesome.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » November 9th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Nice build buddy! :thumbsup:

I would be reallly cool if you explained how you got your coin mech to work.
Where on the micro switch go the coin mech did you put your cables into. Always closed, Always opened. A picture would work.
Plus, how you tied it into the xarcade.

I could not have a button for coin AND the coin mech on mine. It was one or the other, so I chose a button on the CP.

I too use the tankstick and GameEx. You should look into getting a picture of your cab in the slideshow on the home page. Details here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2013

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

Post by jyarrison » November 10th, 2013, 7:25 am

Hey Chris, I might be able to shed a little light on the coin mech situation. I set me coin mechs up about 8 months ago. I just hacked an old USB game pad and use 2 of the button on it for the 2 coin slots, player 1 and player 2. I run several different arcade emulators and I was surprised to see that they actually let me configure the joypad for the coin and the keyboard (Tankstick) for the controls. Since MAME allows for dual input, I still have the pinball button for my convenience but when people see the cab for the first time, I show them the working coin mech.

The switches in the coin mechs are just micro switches but have a special arm that comes out and reaches under the coin drop. So basically if the coin mech allows a real quarter to pass thru, it drops onto this arm and presses it down triggering the microswitch to register one button press. Then the quarter continues to fall down into the coin box. The terminals you use for that are the same as the way they operate in normal arcade use, not sure if it is NC or NO but the closest pin to the ground pin. I believe it is the NO and when a coin hits is it is briefly closed to register the input.
JY

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » November 11th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I was hoping I could splice the coin switch wire to the xarcade controller button mapped to coin. What happens is it will work, but its like rapid fire, keeps adding credits till you disconnect wire.
Switches are good. swapped wires.

So for me, It hd to be one or the other. Hoping I can set up coin button and coin slot to act as same input in mame. :confused: