How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

Post by Hierophant » August 1st, 2010, 1:11 am

G'day :hello:

That's a bit of a mystery to me, too. To date, I have never been able to get any MAME Plus! Plus! to record an AVI; it always crashes. I just stick with regular MAMEPlus! for recording purposes. It's easy to use and does the job for most games. Defender is a good example of a game that won't record properly in MAMEPlus!.

As I recall (without actually trawling back through the whole thread), some of the other guys had recording in MAME Plus! Plus! at least partially working. The problems with internal recording in MAME Plus! Plus! might be a codec issue. I've tried everything that the guys and I could think of though, with no luck.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 25th, 2010, 4:53 am

I finally found the specific codec that MAME32 Plus! Plus! 0.119 needs to record AVI. It's the XviD codec (as opposed to the DivX codec that Seraph suggested earlier). The weird thing is that I thought I had a proper XviD ever since installing K-Lite Codec Pack. XviD is included in K-Lite, but it seems like something was missing since it never enabled AVI record in 119. I recently did a full XviD install from their actual site as I heard it would fix recording problems I was having in some other emulators. I remembered all the frustrating 119 AVI problems and thought I'd give it another shot.

OK, so now I can record straight to AVI in 119 thanks to XviD. Unfortunately though, 119 still encounters a problem and crashes when attempting to replay input to AVI record so it's still not much use to me if I can't record netplay input to AVI. God knows what's missing to make that work. Anyway, that's half the mystery solved.

:hello:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 24th, 2011, 12:02 am

This is a record of the settings I used in ZD Soft Game Recorder 1.5 to do this capture test for Nos in Mortal Kombat, since not all games will record properly with the internal recording method in MAMEPlus!:

In MAMEPlus! I go Default Game Options>Global OSD Video (or Display in most other MAME builds)>check Run in a Window and uncheck Start out maximized. Doing this will run the game in as small a window as possible and save some resources. For MK games it's also worth remembering to go into the service menu with F2 and turn the game volume all the way up.

Note: The following settings are for my old, low spec P4. You may be able to increase the fps, etc. without causing recording lag.

In the ZD Soft Game Recorder Video tab I had these settings:

Encoding: AVI File - DIVX.
Video Size: Custom 320 x 240.
Video FPS: Custom 24 fps.
Video Bit Rate: Custom 1536 kbps.

In the Audio tab I had:

Record audio along with video checked (of course).
Audio Device: Back Line in/Mic, Front Line in.
Audio Input: Stereo mix and in Advanced Settings I have the Stereo Mix slider set between the first and second notch from the bottom. This will prevent overdrive in the recorded audio.
Audio Sample Rate: Low.(22,050 Hz).
Audio Bit Rate: 64 kbps.

Once I had the ZD Soft AVI I upscaled it to 480p and double fps in VirtualDub. The quality is really not too bad considering my poor sys specs. :V:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » January 24th, 2011, 1:36 am

:goodpost:

Thanks for that mate. It's going to really come in handy for me.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Post by eliaskeme » January 24th, 2011, 11:36 am

:ty: mate but it seems to be a problem with my ZD, look at it:
^You may be a bit confused since I prtscr the programme while I was wathcing your post.
^The bar next to the programme is the Advanced Settings.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 24th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Yeah mate, that prt scr at the top confused the hell outta me when I first saw it, lol. :tongue:

Wow, you have a very limiting set of sound options there. You wanna be able to record game audio from Stereo Mix, not Microphone. I only really know what works on my WinXP PC so I dunno if I can help you. Can you check this though: go right click on the little speaker icon in the task bar>Open Volume Control>Options>Properties>Mixer Device>choose Realtek HD Audio Input>mark Recording if necessary>OK, then show me what you see.

Maybe later, if I can't help you fix it, you could also try going to the Realtek site and updating your sound drivers. Make a system restore point before installing anything though, just in case.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » January 25th, 2011, 11:09 am

I changed it as you told me and this is what I get:
^Keep in mind that Επιλογή=Select
However no matter which one I select:
1st) When I press Close the audio gets back to USB Headphone Set
2nd) The selections in ZD are still the same.
Maybe I should remove the headphones, see what happens and then re-put them.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 25th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I never have my headset plugged in when I'm using ZD Soft, so yeah, maybe it's being detected and overriding the normal ZD Soft settings or something. Like you said, try it with no headset plugged in and see if there's any change.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » January 26th, 2011, 7:12 am

:agree: This method really gave some great results !!! Anything I want now is recorded, I'm uploading Razor's and Bull's Intros right now !!!! But when ZD records it shows at Razor that the FPS are 66, at Jewels that they are 58 and at Bull that they are 62. Should I adjust them like this or 24 is fine (The videos look good with the 24 FPS by the way) ??

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 26th, 2011, 10:16 pm

You may be able to increase settings depending on your PC specs. For example, try setting Custom Video FPS to 30 and see if you get any lag while recording. 30 FPS is a good minimum to aim for when uploading to YouTube. I just couldn't quite get to 30 FPS while recording that MK test. 24 FPS was the best my old PC could manage without causing any recording lag. I kinda got around it, though, by doubling the frame rate in VirtualDub which smoothed it out a bit for YouTube's encoder. This vid is a good example of what I'm talking about:

I captured that one from my PS2 at 25 FPS with EasyCAP and Ulead. When I first uploaded it to YouTube at that frame rate the vid was choppy, especially in the parts where all the characters scroll by really fast. However, even though YouTube converts everything to 30 FPS, after I doubled the frame rate of the original capture to 50 FPS in VDub, the scrolling in those parts came out much smoother than they did on the first try.

:V: