How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

Post by Hierophant » January 4th, 2010, 10:16 pm

That's OK, I don't care if the subject changed from online MAME recording. The name of this thread is 'How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!', which was originally nothing to do with online. The online stuff just got thrown into the mix, but it's still closely related enough I guess.

What annoyed me is that what you said felt like my Mum telling me what to do when I was a kid or something. "Hiero junior, how many times have I told you to clean up your room!" So yeah, my reply was a bit cheeky.
:tongue:

Besides, I'm getting tired of repeating myself about this business. How many times have I told you that I can't verify that the whole making a short inp file and playing it back thing actually works to stop lag while an AVI is recording. If anything my numerous tests have proven to me that it doesn't fix anything. If for some bizarre reason it really does work on your possessed PC then fine, but, you still haven't uploaded an MSHVSF vid yet (I have), and now you want Nos to help you with Fraps. I wonder why...

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » January 4th, 2010, 10:36 pm

eliaskeme wrote:Oh and I would like to ask NOS which FRAPS version he has. Cos the one I could record for a few seconds and then you had to hit the record button again and again and again...
I have the full version, 3.0.3.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Post by eliaskeme » January 5th, 2010, 5:16 am

Hierophant wrote:Besides, I'm getting tired of repeating myself about this business. How many times have I told you that I can't verify that the whole making a short inp file and playing it back thing actually works to stop lag while an AVI is recording. If anything my numerous tests have proven to me that it doesn't fix anything. If for some bizarre reason it really does work on your possessed PC then fine, but, you still haven't uploaded an MSHVSF vid yet (I have), and now you want Nos to help you with Fraps. I wonder why...
I grew tired of watching my input getting desync so I decided to make it like this OR using a certain programme (>FRAPS). So that's why I asked NOS his version. Oh NOS thanks by the way...

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » January 5th, 2010, 5:27 pm

I don't know what the hell you're doing to get problems, elias... But anyway, if you don't want to pay for/illegally download the full version of fraps, then there are other screen capture programs out there with basic/trial versions that might have unlimited recording times, but I'm not sure.

A couple of examples are camtasia and hypercam.

Fraps is probably the easiest to use but I think it might just really comes down to your computer being powerful enough to use it properly.

I might have to buy a new computer soon... There's nothing worse than not being able to run something properly... Not even death!

Ok, maybe death.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Post by eliaskeme » January 6th, 2010, 4:55 am

Nostalgia wrote:I don't know what the hell you're doing to get problems, elias... But anyway, if you don't want to pay for/illegally download the full version of fraps, then there are other screen capture programs out there with basic/trial versions that might have unlimited recording times, but I'm not sure.

A couple of examples are camtasia and hypercam.
I don't know either NOS :link:. Apparently my version is the one that causes all the problems. Oh I have downloaded these programmes and as you saw (if you did) at YouTube the colours were all screwed up !!! So I think that the FRAPS you have is good cos the one I had could only record for 10 second so I had to press the record button again and again which was difficult cos I was playing Snow Bros and I couldn't stop my gameplay to press the record button.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 14th, 2010, 9:02 am

Hmmm... the behaviour of my MAMEPlus! 0.134 has changed slightly for some reason. Not sure why but it may have something to do with me putting all my MAMEs in a folder called MAME in C:\Program Files for the sake of organisation. That's the only significant thing I can recall changing recently in my setup. The change in MAMEPlus! behaviour relates to my previous guides for Input Playback Desync, this part in particular:
Hierophant wrote:Now normally if you delete an automatic output file like nvram it will just get recreated the next time the game is launched. Luckily, MAMEPlus! is smart enough to stop nvram being created again if 'Record Input' or 'Playback Input' is being used. Problem solved!
and again here:
Hierophant wrote:5. Play for a while then exit, (for MSHVSF try playing through at least two stages for a good test). After exiting repeat step 1 to make doubly sure the nvram is still deleted (should look the same as in step 3).
I noticed lately in MAMEPlus! that after I delete nvram and select 'Record Input' the nvram is there again when the input recording is finished. It didn't used to do that. I was very thorough in documenting each step in the process. Weird!

The funny thing is though it doesn't seem to matter. Using MSHVSF again as an example, so long as the nvram IS deleted before recording input, the playback will always be IN SYNC even though the nvram is back again once input recording is finished. And also as before, if nvram is NOT deleted before recording input then the playback will always be DESYNCED.

So, despite this small change the method for avoiding playback desync of a recorded input still works in basically the same way. Anyway, if I figure out what caused this little change I will give an update.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » January 25th, 2010, 4:22 am

I had some issues on mine so check this out. Thanks to Hiero you might think you have it covered with selecting a record video button and going to file and make video with avi, but you would be wrong.

Look in the in game options with tab, then go toward the bottom option where you see all the Kaillera options and you should see a AVI button option.

In my opinion (IMO) that hotkey for avi should be right next to the record movie button and NOT in the Kaillera options! By the way do not set your "record movie" hotkey to your record avi hotkey.

Choose a button but make sure it does not conflict with another button Also, check your codecs - Hiero. I used download.com to get both windows media codecs and divx updates with a divx player. I then set my avi files to open with Divx player by right-clicking on a .avi file and going to properties to choose a program. After that I was good to go!

I made my file through file and record with avi. I waited till I was ready to click my avi button which I set to 'm'. Then, I hit 'm' to stop which I could tell it worked since my game sped up again (Sometimes the game slows while recording). Afterwords, you just need to find the avi folder in your MAME folder and there you go!

Hope it helps someone since it took hours of my time. In retrospect, I should not drink while troubleshooting a computer problem. :rofl:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 25th, 2010, 10:58 am

Wow, dude, take it easy there. You need to get some facts straight before you jump in late on a complicated topic like this. For starters you should specify which MAME you're talking about, Seraph. I can tell you're referring to MAME32 Plus Plus 0.119 but others might be clueless. That's important because recording in MAME32 Plus Plus 0.119 works somewhat differently to MAMEPlus!. The main topic of this thread is the MAMEPlus! build after all. MAME32 Plus Plus 0.119 only came in as a sideline attempt to verify a MAME internal method for making vids of online play.
Seraph wrote:I had some issues on mine so check this out. Thanks to Hiero you might think you have it covered with selecting a record video button and going to file and make video with avi, but you would be wrong.
So, thanks to me everyone would be wrong, eh? I think you couldn't be more wrong, mate. If you'd taken the time to read and absorb the useful parts of this thread properly you might have noticed a couple of things. I haven't been able to use 119 for AVI recording and never offered any info here on how to setup the AVI record hotkey in 119, although Nos did in an earlier post:
Nostalgia wrote:...the game starts up and I just use my avi record hotkey (the one you find when you press tab in-game and go to 'special controls') and it starts recording.
Most of my info here pertains to MAMEPlus! 0.134 which is the only MAME I've done recordings in.
Seraph wrote:Look in the in game options with tab, then go toward the bottom option where you see all the Kaillera options and you should see a AVI button option.
LOL!!! I was the one who told you about that in chat and now you're here to save us from my wrong info. Before that, all you were doing was making MNG files instead of AVI. Even though I don't use 119 for recording, I knew enough to tell you what you were doing wrong. You're instruction isn't very clear either. Here, lemme show you how it's done:

Press 'tab' in-game>Input (general)>Special Controls>select Avi Record with 'enter' and input your desired hotkey.
Seraph wrote:By the way do not set your "record movie" hotkey to your record avi hotkey. Choose a button but make sure it does not conflict with another button
Yep, that's also from good advice I gave you in chat. :rolleyes:
Seraph wrote:In retrospect, I should not drink while troubleshooting a computer problem. :rofl:
Hmmm... that might explain a few things. :tongue:
Seraph wrote:Also, check your codecs - Hiero. I used download.com to get both windows media codecs and divx updates with a divx player. I then set my avi files to open with Divx player by right-clicking on a .avi file and going to properties to choose a program. After that I was good to go!
That sounds like very good info for anyone recording straight to AVI in 119, not that I care about that part of it since I use MAMEPlus! for those purposes. The part that I do care about is this: if those codecs can fix the 119 input playback to AVI record crash problem (covered earlier here - http://www.mameaddicts.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 2315#p2315) that would really be something. Nos was the only guy who bothered to test the problem and when he did he got the same crash as me. Seraph, if you can do test 1. from that post without 119 crashing and I can later verify it then I'd regard that as minor miracle.

:wistle: :zzz:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » March 7th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Been having some issues with Windows Movie Maker lately. Still like to use it for rendering basic gameplay vids, but some bug has developed where the audio gets degraded. How and why is a mystery to me.

Could do everything in Vegas I suppose, except I'm a bit finicky about how Vegas alters the facts of a game's graphics with the seemingly unavoidable motion blur. That's not to say WMM is perfect either. WMM has problems with transparencies such as shadows, which end up as slowly flickering black shapes. At least WMM retains the crisp look of most of a game's graphics without all that blurry Vegas motion. Still though, there are some games - namely Raiden and Alien3: The Gun - that I wouldn't have been able to render as successfully if not for the powerful capabilities of Vegas. My tutorial vids also wouldn't be what they are without Vegas.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I was trying to think of an easy workaround for the WMM audio problem; then I remembered about good old VirtualDub, which I used to render this latest gameplay vid:

In VirtualDub it was easy to edit out the parts of the avi I didn't want using the mark in/mark out arrows to select sections to delete. In video filters I used the resize option to scale the video resolution up to 640 x 480 (looks good on YouTube). In video compression I used the XviD MPEG-4 codec which gave a good quality render while reducing the size of the avi from about 2gig to around 100meg.

VirtualDub really is one of the greatest free programs known to man! :woot:

Hyper2faceman

Post by Hyper2faceman » July 31st, 2010, 2:28 pm

I'm having a small problem that I need help with. (I don't know if this was already answered or not but...) I've recorded an inp file of a playthrough of Soul Calibur and I'm trying to find a way to record the footage to an avi file, but whenever I hit "replay(inp) to avi record", my MAME crashes. I'm using MAME Plus! Plus! 0.132 and Windows Vista.