How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Re: How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

Post by eliaskeme » November 12th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Hierophant wrote:What are you saying exactly, elias, can you be a bit more clear with your explanation?
Certainly. On the MAMEPlus I had before when I wanted to "Record AVI Output" there was a board with different adjustments (frameskipping, number of fps etc). On that way I could adjust the fps to 30 and play and record at the same time. But as you saw the colours were all screwed up. Now with this MAME when I do my trick there is no lag during gameplay.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » November 12th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Ah OK, that's a little bit clearer. I think your talking about the 'AVI RECORD' settings window in MAME32 Plus Plus 0.119 that has options for 'Frames' and 'Skip Frame'. I haven't used the AVI record stuff in 0.119 yet. Haven't gotten around to finding the right codec to make it work. However, I do know how to fix the colours in 0.119.

In that same 0.119 'AVI RECORD' window there is a section called 'Color Option'. Tick the checkbox for 'Convert 16bit to 24bit' and the colours should come out fine. Nos already tried this when he was helping me test the 0.119 problems and it worked OK for him.

Now, in the MAMEPlus 0.134 we've also been using recently there is no such window to change the AVI settings. From what I've seen it's all been automated. You just tell it to record and then the game starts. I've tested your idea of making a short inp file in 0.134 a number of times now on my PC and it doesn't do anything by itself and seems pointless to me. In 0.134, even with frameskipping, the lag is always there whenever an AVI is recording during gameplay on my P4.

So you see mate, the goal of this thread is to find useful recording methods that can be tested to work reliably in MAMEPlus and shared with anyone who wants to make gameplay vids without the need for Camtasia, etc. If you can give me a perfectly clear explanation of how your process can possibly prevent lag during AVI recording in MAMEPlus 0.134, and it can then be verified through further testing, that would be great.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

How to Avoid Desynch of Input Playback in MAMEPlus! (Part 1)

Post by Hierophant » November 14th, 2009, 8:43 am

How to Avoid Desynch of Input Playback in MAMEPlus! (Part 1)

This guide is written mainly with MAMEPlus! in mind, although the same principles could apply to other MAME builds that offer AVI recording capability. For various reasons, playing back an input file (.inp) to AVI record is the preferred method of making gameplay vids in MAME (refer to my first post for details).

To briefly describe the problem, if the proper preventative measures are not taken then the playback of the inp files of some games with variable outcomes (like versus fighters) can get desynched from what occurred during the original gameplay. For example, as previously discussed, in Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter (MSHVSF) it's possible for the input playback to exhibit a different sequence of opponents and stage backgrounds, thereby destroying the viability of the inp file. Fortunately this problem is easily fixed.

The main culprit I've found so far is nvram, which is an output file that gets created automatically the first time a game is played. If the MSHVSF nvram file is present when an inp file is being recorded for it then the game's input playback will be desynched. Therefore, we need to delete the nvram for MSHVSF before recording any input. To save rummaging around in folders looking for the right file to delete, MAMEPlus! has a convenient way to do this in the GUI.

Simply right click the game in the 'Available Arcades' list and use the 'Remove' option to delete the nvram file.

Now normally if you delete an automatic output file like nvram it will just get recreated the next time the game is launched. Luckily, MAMEPlus! is smart enough to stop nvram being created again if 'Record Input' or 'Playback Input' is being used. Problem solved!

WARNING! Obviously it is NOT RECOMMENDED to delete the nvram of CD rewrite games like the parent rom, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (USA, 990608). I've only done minimal testing of SFIII3S (USA, 990608) so far, but even if it's nvram is already present, using 'Record Input' prompts the game to do the whole 20 minute CD rewrite again anyway. Use the clone rom SFIII3S (Japan, 990512, NO CD) instead to create your movie.

I've heard that MAME's game info screen can also cause input playback desynch in some games, although I haven't encountered this myself yet and I never will. I always enable 'Skip game info' whenever I configure MAME just because I think that extra screen is annoying. I recommend that everyone else do the same for their MAMEPlus!.

Options>Default Game Options>Misc>tick the 'Skip game info' checkbox>OK

Apparently the cfg output file can affect some games the same way nvram does, but again, I haven't seen an example of this in testing yet. Like nvram though, cfg is also included in the MAMEPlus! 'Remove' option described earlier if removing nvram alone isn't enough to fix any input playback desynch problems.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » November 14th, 2009, 10:33 am

Thanks mate !! That helped me a lot.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » November 15th, 2009, 4:16 am

Hierophant wrote:I haven't seen an example of this in testing yet.
Now you do: Once again MSHVSF is responsible. But lemme tell you what exactly has happened: First I removed the nvram file and started to record input. Just because the inputs weren't good as far as the gameplay goes I eventually recorded 5 (!). The strange thing is that at those 5 inputs the 2 first matches (the ones I recorded) were all the same (!!!). But when I tried to playback input, here we go again !!! The first match alone was enough to drive me nuts. You should be next to me and see: Akuma performing MESSATSU GOU-HADOU while Sakura (and not Chun-Li as it should have been) is behind him !! However when it was Chun-Li she was finished !! I will try to remove the cfg and then try again. Stay tuned...

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » November 15th, 2009, 5:27 am

eliaskeme wrote:I will try to remove the cfg and then try again. Stay tuned...
Well the results are the same: Sakura instead of Chun-Li and gameplay screwed up. I HATE SAKURA !!! I will make sure she gets some SHUN-GOKU-SATSUs for revenge !!

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 15th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Yeah, I pretty much said that removing the cfg file won't fix the MSHVSF input playback desync. It's the nvram that's the problem. If you're gonna quote me, please do it properly.
Hierophant wrote:Apparently the cfg output file can affect some games the same way nvram does, but again, I haven't seen an example of this in testing yet.
That was the whole sentence and it's still true. I haven't seen an example of cfg causing desync yet, only read about it somewhere.

Btw mate, just stick to making one inp file at a time while we try and work this out, OK. It doesn't matter if you played like a demon or not, it's only a test for now to see if you're doing everything right. Once you get it all working the same as me then you can go crazy. If an inp file is desynced in playback then it's never gonna work, so you might as well delete it. Having a big pile of inp files for the same game just makes things confusing after a while.
:confused:

Let's go over everything again from scratch, and with pictures too! Get ready for epic posting! :woot:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

How to Avoid Desynch of Input Playback in MAMEPlus! (Part 2)

Post by Hierophant » November 15th, 2009, 11:50 pm

How to Avoid Desynch of Input Playback in MAMEPlus! (Part 2)

I'm using Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter (MSHVSF) as a prime example of a game that can get input playback desynch.

Alright, this is the MAME I'm talking about, MAMEPlus! 0.134.

This is the 'Skip game info' option. It doesn't affect MSHVSF but turn it on anyway because I dunno what other games it might affect.

1. So, first delete the mshvsf.nv. Right click MSHVSF in 'Available Arcades' and go 'Remove'.

2. Then click nvram/mshvsf.nv.

3. Repeat step 1 to check that the nvram got deleted and you'll see this.

4. Now record some input. Right click the game in Available and go 'Record Input' then 'OK'.

5. Play for a while then exit, (for MSHVSF try playing through at least two stages for a good test). Now check the playback of the inp file that just got made with File>Play with Options>Playback Input>select and Open the inp file>OK.
Image Image

By now the input playback should be synced properly because MAMEPlus! stopped the game's nvram from being recreated during the input recording process. If not, then delete the inp file and start again from step 1 making sure not to miss anything. If the input playback was synced successfully go to step 6.

6. Once you've got an inp file with some kickass gameplay, make an AVI of the gameplay from the input playback. Go File>Play with Options>Playback Input>select and Open the inp file (same as the first three images in step 5). Now here, instead of going 'OK' though, click 'Browse' next to 'Record AVI Output' then 'Cancel'. Doing that creates the file path needed for the AVI. Now click 'OK'. The input playback will commence and be recorded to AVI simultaneously.

7. Now make your movie! Here's me beating up some guys in MSHVSF using the exact same steps outlined above.
:hooray:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » November 15th, 2009, 11:56 pm

Nostalgia wrote:I'm hoping to have an answer about the multiplayer soon from this guy on another forum.

^ Well this guy still hasn't replied to my email :stare:

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » November 17th, 2009, 6:32 am

Easy NOS. He will reply unless he wants a taste of my Shun-Goku-Satsu (in case you don't know it means Instant Hell Murder).