How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

Post by Hierophant » November 10th, 2009, 4:02 am

Nostalgia wrote:It seems like this stuff is harder than it really needs to be Hiero!

Very annoying.
What shouldn't be that hard is for a few people to take 5 minutes or so to test the problem and help me confirm whether or not this is a general bug in the MAME32 Plus Plus AVI Record option.

Here's the simple steps to follow again minus the angst from before.

1. Make an inp file for a game, which is:

right click a game in Available>Play and Record Input

Play for a little while and exit. Then with the game still highlighted in Available go:

File>replay (inp) to AVI Record>and Open the inp file

Report back what happens. At this point mine gets the MAME encountered a problem error and closes.

2. Test this AVI option too:

right click a game in Available>Play to AVI Record>OK>OK

Right here I get the AVI file error. Normally I won't see the error if MAME is in full screen, but I'll hear it ping me behind a black screen. If I hit the Windows key that will clear the black screen and there is the AVI File Error message. The game can still play after that but there's no way to record an AVI.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Post by eliaskeme » November 10th, 2009, 10:01 am

Nostalgia wrote:Thirdly, you'll probably find that the people around you will be impressed that you can speak English!

You're missing out if you aren't playing these games online while talking to the other player(s). Speaking of which, I might see you online tonight Hiero, I sent you a PM about that anyway :smile:
Firstly a german mate called the other time and I had to speak english. Well the rest of the people didnt actually believed that my english is impressive. Besides this is what happens here in Lakkoma and you just can't change it

Secondly, even if I get a mic I don't think I will ever manage to go online with all these roadblocks that appear

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » November 10th, 2009, 10:07 am

Hierophant wrote:Hey elias, I managed to replicate the problem with playing back the MSHVSF input. It's gonna take me a lot of time to pinpoint the exact cause and solution though.
Why don't you do what I do ?? Record Input for 5-6 seconds and then playback it. Even though it says "playback ended" the game will still be in recording state. That's what happened in WrestleFest. In fact my mate and I actually went all the way through to the Legion of Doom. Of course the video was large (20GBs !!) but I cut it proplery on the Moive Maker. No problem !! Now I am gonna do the same to the MSHVSF.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » November 10th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Hierophant wrote:right click a game in Available>Play to AVI Record>OK>OK

Right here I get the AVI file error. Normally I won't see the error if MAME is in full screen, but I'll hear it ping me behind a black screen. If I hit the Windows key that will clear the black screen and there is the AVI File Error message. The game can still play after that but there's no way to record an AVI.

This works for me :smile:

I think you might be missing a codec(s).

If I do it the other way you mentioned then I get the same error as you (i'm using v119 by the way).

With this .avi method I don't get any errors, however when it first launches the game it's just a black screen. All I have to do though is press the windows key which straight away takes me back out and it has a little box where I can choose how I want to record (I've just been leaving it on the default setting so far) and once I click ok the game starts up and I just use my avi record hotkey (the one you find when you press tab in-game and go to 'special controls') and it starts recording.

Pressing the same button again stops the recording.

The game runs fine for me on this default setting. Might jerk a little for the first five or so seconds (good time to select your characters), but I don't remember it being unplayable after that and also the jerking doesn't show up when you actually watch the video.

The files take up A LOT of space for me so far, but I might be able to fix this by playing around with stuff. If not, then when you and I play Hiero, I'll do the recording as I have lots of free hard drive space.

To give you an idea, one of my recordings goes for 42 seconds and takes up 653,487 MB :hehe:

Another thing, the colours were messed up using the default settings in the first screen you come across Hiero, but I fixed that by going to 'Color Option' and ticking the box that says 'Convert 16bit to 24bit'. Don't tick the 8bit option, it looks like crap.

Anyway, I'm going to try again now at 30 frames per second and will edit this post in about 10 minutes with the results.

Edit - Ok, 30 frames per second wasn't acceptable.

I'm going to see how much I can cut the filesize down by opening one of these uncompressed .avi files in sony vegas and rendering it as a .wmv. This method works great for my counter-strike source videos and so far they have been much much larger .avi files than these, plus they go well on youtube.

Edit 2 - Ok, I did that and got the 653,487 MB filesize down to 24,701 MB. I could probably make it look better and stuff but I'm pretty happy for now with how this video turned out for that filesize. It does the job.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 11th, 2009, 3:37 am

eliaskeme wrote:
Hierophant wrote:Hey elias, I managed to replicate the problem with playing back the MSHVSF input. It's gonna take me a lot of time to pinpoint the exact cause and solution though.
Why don't you do what I do ?? Record Input for 5-6 seconds and then playback it. Even though it says "playback ended" the game will still be in recording state. That's what happened in WrestleFest. In fact my mate and I actually went all the way through to the Legion of Doom. Of course the video was large (20GBs !!) but I cut it proplery on the Moive Maker. No problem !! Now I am gonna do the same to the MSHVSF.
I'll tell you again why I won't do that, elias, because it doesn't fix anything! Let's recap the story...

The original problem you had was that playing games while recording straight to AVI was no good because the AVI recording process causes so much lag it interferes with gameplay. That's where I got the idea to use record input and then playback input to AVI record later, so that you don't actually play directly at the same time as the AVI is being recorded.

Then you discovered the problem in MSHVSF where input playback gets desynced from what happened during input recording, resulting in a different enemy sequence and effectively destroying the gameplay. Now that I've replicated the problem I see that the stage background in MSHVSF also gets desynced when this happens.

Making a 5 second inp file doesn't fix any of these problems. Everything is still desynced and what's worse, after a few seconds you have to take back control of your character anyway once the input playback has ended. In the meantime AVI is still recording and you're still playing against the lag, so you're back to square one. Like I said before, you might as well play and record straight to AVI and put up with the lag for all the good it does to make a 5 second inp file.

Just be patient OK mate, I'm working out the problem.

:SM:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 11th, 2009, 8:56 am

Hey Nos, thanks for taking the time to help me test this out. You came through big time! :hello:

So that confirms what Chris and I thought earlier about the need for a particular codec to make straight AVI recording possible in MAME32 Plus Plus 0.119. Unfortunately it also confirms that there is a definite problem with 119 crashing whenever you try to playback an inp file to AVI record. Dang, and that's the last step needed to do online gameplay recording without Camtasia, etc.

Like you said, it's really annoying that it's so much more difficult than it needs to be to try and get this working properly.

The quest continues. :link:

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » November 11th, 2009, 9:30 am

Hierophant wrote:Making a 5 second inp file doesn't fix any of these problems. Everything is still desynced and what's worse, after a few seconds you have to take back control of your character anyway once the input playback has ended. In the meantime AVI is still recording and you're still playing against the lag, so you're back to square one. Like I said before, you might as well play and record straight to AVI and put up with the lag for all the good it does to make a 5 second inp file.
Actually the lag happens because there are some settings with the fps or something. But when I keep recording after the inp is finished there is no lag at all !! That's something I haven't told you yet apparently. Sorry

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 11th, 2009, 5:01 pm

What are you saying exactly, elias, can you be a bit more clear with your explanation? The only way I know to affect FPS internally in MAME is with frameskipping. Even so I don't see how using a short inp file could make a difference to anything. If you're using frameskipping to lower the lag then you can play and record straight to AVI and get the same result.

Once I confirm the cause of the input playback desync in games like MSHVSF it won't matter anyway. You'll be able to make a complete inp file to playback to AVI with full framerate.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » November 11th, 2009, 8:08 pm

That recording came out great. Was that online play? I am assuming it was.

30 fps is the standard btw.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » November 11th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Nah it was single-player Chris. I'm hoping to have an answer about the multiplayer soon from this guy on another forum.

It might just be the copy of mame 119 he's using or maybe a different .dll file for kaillera that makes it work for him and not for us.

And thanks, yeah I'm pretty happy with how the video came out for that filesize :smile: