How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Re: How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

Post by Nostalgia » November 1st, 2009, 12:56 pm

eliaskeme wrote:
Nostalgia wrote:Elias you should stop asking questions for a while and thank Heiro :friends: The amount of time he has spent on figuring this stuff out is massive :V:
Nos I have already said thanks to Hiero and stopped the questions (if you noticed) .
Well I've never seen you thank him ONCE (eg: "Thanks Heiro") in a post and he has helped you HEAPS.

Believe it or not, Heiro hates experimenting with this stuff (fiddling around to get the best results, etc etc) as much as the rest of us.

And it's not just you and me, it's HEAPS of newbies who come here asking questions that he helps.

Hiero needs more thanks for his work. I talk to him with voice/MSN all the time and constantly thank him :V: And I will be buying him many beers when we meet.

He doesn't get paid a cent for his work and deserves more thanks from people. Sorry to single you out but too many people take stuff like this for granted.

Nice videos btw elias. Good stuff. I'm about to do one for my 3rd strike review...

But if it wasn't for Hiero then I wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » November 1st, 2009, 11:48 pm

Oh my, hmmm... didn't expect this. Getting a bit off track there guys.
:samus:

Nos makes some good points, elias. I don't see anything that looks like "Thanks Hiero" from you in here, or in PM. It seems a bit too late for that to be meaningful at the moment, so I don't really want to hear it right now. Think it over for a while. If someone needs to be told about this kinda thing then they should really brush up on their people skills. Where I come from words like "please" and "thank you" are just common courtesy.

Nos didn't say you should completely stop asking questions. Ask as many questions as you like mate, that's the whole point of a topic like this. It's surprising sometimes how much we can all learn from one simple question!

Good work on the gameplay vids, elias. Feel free to add them to your Rec Games reviews whenever you're ready.
eliaskeme wrote:I just realised something. Even if you record input for 2 seconds and then playback input for more than that the AVI video will last the time you played. So I think I will do a MSHVSF video like this
Huh? Seems to me doing that would defeat the purpose of having an inp file to record to AVI in the first place. You might as well just go File>Play with Options>Record AVI Output like before and try playing against the lag, which is originally what I was trying to fix for you. If an inp file lasts 2 seconds then that's how long it lasts. Once the input playback has finished the game just goes back to normal.

Still not sure why your MSHVSF input playback can have a different enemy sequence than what was happening during the input recording. Afaik we're both on the same MAMEPlus! 0.134 now and using the same method. I say again from testing this that mine works fine. There must be a different circumstance occurring somewhere. I dunno, maybe it's got to do with how I configure my Default Game Options that is letting it work for me.

Nos, I sure look forward to those beers if I ever make it down to Tassie one day. Make mine a Cascade! You're right again mate. Doing the groundwork to figure out this kinda stuff is not exactly a barrel of laughs for me. However, the results are worth it. There's some mad fun to be had by everyone from making quality gameplay vids, so let's carry on!
:woot:

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Post by eliaskeme » November 2nd, 2009, 6:10 am

Hierophant wrote:Huh? Seems to me doing that would defeat the purpose of having an inp file to record to AVI in the first place. You might as well just go File>Play with Options>Record AVI Output like before and try playing against the lag, which is originally what I was trying to fix for you. If an inp file lasts 2 seconds then that's how long it lasts. Once the input playback has finished the game just goes back to normal.
That's what I say. The Record AVI gives too much lag. And as far as the inp file goes I will make it last 2 seconds so I can battle and record it no matter what.

PS: If you and Nos are looking forward to a "thank you" lemme tell you both guys something: I only say thank you (and believe me I say MORE than that) when my problem is solved completely. As you see we may be close to that problem's solution so get ready for a BIG thank you !!

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » November 2nd, 2009, 11:36 pm

I for one have not recorded MAME while playing against another player online. I wondered about the lag issue before. In my case it is hardware. My network speed it fine, but it all boils down to my CPU and ram. I just got a new video card, so I am going to give this tut a try. So, who wants to kick my butt at MSHVSCAP? :tongue:

As for chatting, I really like skype cause you can make phone calls with it, do web cam chat and voice chat. Doesn't hit your resources so hard either. Best is its free and calling other countries is 0.5 cents a minute, but if they have Skype then free to call.

Be nice if we all could get on the same voice / IM.

Another option is Digsby then you can keep using MSN. It probably is the best option. However not sure if I still would need an MSN account for that. I hope not. Never really liked there email server or IM. OH Digsby has no video chat though, that the down side...but may be offered later?

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » November 3rd, 2009, 2:51 pm

Chris, I have some Ventrilo servers that we can try out with you, but these servers don't actually belong to me.

Hierophant and I talk on them while playing street fighter etc etc, or just to chill out, all the time with no problems. We share these servers with friends of ours who play counter-strike, etc.

If it works for us all then you might want to consider making one with a password for mameaddicts members only. Might cost money but shouldn't be much at all.

I've never talked to people in America etc with it. It would probably be fine though.

Download Ventrilo. Free program. You just have to install it and it works straight away (I will teach you about the finer details if you install it). Google it.

Even if there is some lag, hopefully the delay won't be too bad for when we're just chilling out. As for hierophant and I, we basically play/talk without lag. Couple that with p2p and we may as well be in the same room! :hooray:

Elias needs a mic :smile:

I really hope this works out.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 3rd, 2009, 5:54 pm

DAMMIT! I'm so close to figuring out all the necessary steps to make a movie of online gameplay in MAME without the need for Camtasia, Hypercam, Fraps, etc., except for one problem.

I'm using the MAME32 Plus Plus 0.119 from - http://www.kaillera.com/download.php - which is also the same online MAME that's in MA's Downloads section, (MAME32 UI ++). I overwrite the packaged Kaillera dll with Kaillera p2p client (nov 01 '07) instead, which should have nothing to do with the problem btw.

Problem is though, whenever I try to use any AVI options to complete the process there's a bug somewhere. I either get AVI file error or MAME has encountered a problem and needs to close error.

:stare: *GRRR!!!*

I need to know if this is just in mine or not. For example, could everyone please test this in their MAME32 Plus Plus 0.119 by making an inp file for a game, which is right click a game in Available>Play and Record Input. Play for a little while and exit. Then with the game still highlighted in Available go File>replay (inp) to AVI Record>and Open the inp file, then report back what happens. At this point mine gets the danged MAME encountered a problem error and closes itself every gosh darned time I try this. ARGH!!!

If you know what you're doing then please test this AVI option too; right click a game in Available>Play to AVI Record>OK>OK. Right here I get the AVI file error. Normally I won't see the error if MAME is in full screen, but I'll hear it ping me behind a black screen. If I hit the Windows key that will clear the black screen and then I can see the dreaded AVI file error message. The game can still play after that but there's no way I can record an AVI.

:help:

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help test this out! :hello:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 4th, 2009, 1:40 am

Quoted from Rec Games Discussion:
Chris wrote:
Hierophant wrote:I've run into a bit of a snag with how to record online gameplay. I'll explain over in the How to Record Gameplay thread. I need everyone's help please!
:help:
OK I'm in! I will run two mame and just point to the same directories. Just so I know, I am running Windows XP SP3?

:confused: I wonder if it is a codec issue? I have klite codec pack which is one of the best.

Now we all need to figure what two games to play each other on. One should be a game that does not hit the resources as hard. The other can be 3 strike or MSvsCAP? Having twp completely different games might help for trouble shooting.

Lastly, when and what server to meet. Mondays is good for me.
Thanks Chris. :hello:

Funny you should mention codecs, I was wondering if it was some issue to do with that too.

Some guy Down Under is running a local server at the moment that allows 1 player online so I was able to figure out all those steps on my own. It's just not being able to record to AVI in MAME32 ++ 0.119 as explained in above post that's got me stumped now and it's the last step that's needed. Once that's sorted I can publish a full guide on how to record online play.

LOL, I think I overdid it trying so many different things. My MAME32 ++ 0.119 doesn't even want to open now. Melted it!
:wacko:

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Post by eliaskeme » November 4th, 2009, 5:17 am

Nostalgia wrote:Elias needs a mic.
My cousin is using a pair of headphones that have a speaker and he speaks with ohter Greeks while he is playing AION. But the problem is one: imagine myself speaking english in a bar with 20 people listening to me. I mean when my cousin is speaking the rest of the customers try to understand where he is refering to !! And they think he is crazy or he speaks to an imaginary person !! So what are they gonna say when I speak ENGLISH to a place only few speak that language ??

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 9th, 2009, 6:26 pm

eliaskeme wrote:In my MSHVSF input when I want to playback the inp file since my enemies change the whole move thing get screwed up. Apparently I should record a game where everything is settled in just one way (like the 2.5Ds and the shooter/flying games).
Hierophant wrote:Still not sure why your MSHVSF input playback can have a different enemy sequence than what was happening during the input recording. Afaik we're both on the same MAMEPlus! 0.134 now and using the same method. I say again from testing this that mine works fine. There must be a different circumstance occurring somewhere. I dunno, maybe it's got to do with how I configure my Default Game Options that is letting it work for me.
Hey Elias, I managed to replicate the problem with playing back the MSHVSF input. It's gonna take me a lotta time to pinpoint the exact cause and solution though.

In the meantime could you and anyone else who cares to help please test the AVI record problem in MAME32 Plus! Plus! 0.119 like I described in this recent post and report back here. If anyone's using MAME32 Plus! Plus! 0.117 instead of 0.119 it's also got the same AVI record problem for me, so testing that one would also apply in this case.

It won't take long for people to test both steps I outlined in the post I linked to, probably around 5 - 10 minutes all up, and most of that would time would be spent playing a game while the input is being recorded anyway.

Thank you :hello:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » November 10th, 2009, 12:50 am

It seems like this stuff is harder than it really needs to be Hiero!

Very annoying.

eliaskeme wrote:
Nostalgia wrote:Elias needs a mic.
My cousin is using a pair of headphones that have a speaker and he speaks with ohter Greeks while he is playing AION. But the problem is one: imagine myself speaking english in a bar with 20 people listening to me. I mean when my cousin is speaking the rest of the customers try to understand where he is refering to !! And they think he is crazy or he speaks to an imaginary person !! So what are they gonna say when I speak ENGLISH to a place only few speak that language ??

Well firstly, who cares what they think or say? Secondly, you can just spend most of the time playing and just say "good game" and stuff like that after a match :V:

Thirdly, you'll probably find that the people around you will be impressed that you can speak English!

You're missing out if you aren't playing these games online while talking to the other player(s). Speaking of which, I might see you online tonight Hiero, I sent you a PM about that anyway :smile: