Able to map but unable to actually use controller.

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
funktuous

Able to map but unable to actually use controller.

Post by funktuous » July 6th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Hey there, I'm new to M.A.M.E. emulation as of about a week ago. I've loved checking out all the games for these old platforms that I never got a chance to see growing up.

I personally like using keyboard for most beatemups but for some games a controller with a joystick would be better, and on top of this I have a friend who doesn't really want to try out M.A.M.E. until I can get his controller working.

I've read the tutorials for M.A.M.E. clients on how to map keys for controllers and that step is fine. If M.A.M.E. clients were less temperamental about being screenshotted, I would show you that I am indeed very able to map my controller to various system-specific, and client-wide mappings using the tab menu. However when I leave the tab menu and try to play, only directional input works on the controller. To confirm: I have joystick controls enabled. If I didn't I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even be able to map the controller to functions.

Flustered, and seeking a workaround, I tried a couple different input mapping softwares to try and just assign the buttons/triggers on the controller to keyboard functions. After doing so I tested the controller in notepad and the input mapping software was working fine, but when I booted up M.A.M.E. client (I tried all of this on mamuifx64 and mameui64 which are obviously based upon closely related codesets) it still wasn't able to recognize the input remapped buttons as usable ingame inputs regardless of what I saw mapped on the tab screen(s).

T.L.D.R. the joystick and buttons on my ps4 controller work fine in the tab menu as far as remapping detection but when I close the tab menu and try to actually play, only the joystick seems to register.

Very confused, pls advise if this is a known issue and I can delete this thread or link it to the existing solution. Even after a number of queries I wasn't able to find a solution so I registered on this site to make a thread. Cheers fam. Denjin Makai II is 100% my fave game so far with Battle Circuit in 2nd place and Armored Warriors trailing behind those.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Able to map but unable to actually use controller.

Post by Hierophant » July 7th, 2016, 4:22 am

G'day :hello:
funktuous wrote:T.L.D.R. the joystick and buttons on my ps4 controller work fine in the tab menu as far as remapping detection but when I close the tab menu and try to actually play, only the joystick seems to register.
That could be the problem right there. I don't have any experience with the PS4 controller, but as far as I know it is NOT a plug 'n' play option for a Windows PC without additional software to make it emulate an Xbox controller.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: Able to map but unable to actually use controller.

Post by Incito » July 7th, 2016, 9:43 am

Are you using Blutooth or USB to connect to your PC?
Note here from steam forums that USB connection can be wonky. http://steamcommunity.com/app/295790/di ... 226449955/
Try using both of these and see if the problem still occurs.
If you computer does not have blutooth ... well think I have to dig deeper on this.

Have you tried other games too with the same result?

What do your default games options > controller set up as?
Screen cap that.