Looking for a working Joe & Mac Returns rom

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
MugoUrth

Looking for a working Joe & Mac Returns rom

Post by MugoUrth » June 2nd, 2016, 12:06 pm

I've downloaded this game from several different sites, but every time, I get the same problem: it doesn't work properly. I'm using Mame32 0.91u1 as my emulator if that makes a different. Where can I find a working rom of the game? Or is it my emulator.

From the site rules: New members will be in the "Newly Registered Users" group for their first few posts. Each post must be approved by a Moderator.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: Looking for a working Joe & Mac Returns rom

Post by PantherUK » June 3rd, 2016, 12:30 am

That is quite an old version of MAME... R0ms change over time, better dumps etc... Fairly often you need the correct r0ms to work with the version of MAME you have... I would suggest updating MAME and visiting somewhere like romnation for an up to date r0m...
Ooer... No pictures...

MugoUrth

Post by MugoUrth » June 3rd, 2016, 6:14 am

Alright, downloaded the rom from Romhustler, but that one doesn't seem to work on my emulator either. I guess the next step is to try a different version.

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » June 3rd, 2016, 12:24 pm

I would definitely try the newest version of MAME, most of the sites that carry r0ms tend to have the latest ones, although this isn't guaranteed... The world of emulation can take a bit of time and effort to set up, but so worthwhile when you finally get there...
Ooer... No pictures...

MugoUrth

Post by MugoUrth » June 3rd, 2016, 3:01 pm

It seems like the latest version is in a Binary download. I'm a bit unfamiliar with Binary downloads. Do you download the binary and then install, or do you download the binary, and it takes you to a downloader where you have to download another file?

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » June 3rd, 2016, 8:59 pm

I use MAMEUIFX which should come as a stand alone installation/.exe file...
Ooer... No pictures...

MugoUrth

Post by MugoUrth » June 4th, 2016, 6:44 am

MAMEUIFX32 0174, right? Cause I downloaded the one from Emulator Zone and that didn't work either.

I don't know if it matters, but a big reason I want this game is because I really like games with big bosses, especially elephant bosses with multijointed trunks (I don't know why, those multi-jointed bosses in general are cool) but the other bosses in the game are kind of cool too. It's also kind of cool that the main villain is the same guy from the game "SPIIIIIINMASTUR!" Another game I liked fighting bosses in. I know it's kind of weird, but there you go.

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » June 4th, 2016, 10:13 am

Try having a mooch around emuparadise, they tend to be pretty up to date, and the game is available there, I just looked, but we don't post links to r0ms here... Let us know how you get on...
Ooer... No pictures...

MugoUrth

Post by MugoUrth » June 5th, 2016, 9:01 am

Looks like I FINALLY found an emulator the game works on... but I'm not digging the newer emulators. I missed being able to quickly scroll through games instead of treading through a HUGE list for minutes on end.

...Oh well, I suppose.

MugoUrth

Post by MugoUrth » June 5th, 2016, 10:47 am

HOWEVER!!!

...I have two computers. One computer I use for internet, the other I use for gaming, as I have a bandwidth and don't want to be using a computer with internet all day. I downloaded two emulators and they both run the game on the computer with Internet. ...But neither of them work on my gaming computer!

Ugh, I am about ready to give up! Fighting giant elephants isn't worth having to go through this constant battle to find an emulator the game works on. (Also, I don't like using my Internet computer to play games. I prefer to play games alone as I tend to prefer more colorful games and I'm kind of embarrassed to play them around other people.)