black screen "help"

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
ld17
Gamer
Gamer

black screen "help"

Post by ld17 » March 24th, 2016, 11:59 am

Hi guys new to the board. Hope to make a cab one day. In the mean time finally got around to trying to install mame and play some games for my frist time. This is what i've done so far.
1. Installed Mameuifx32 0.170
2. Installed game rom (not sure how to check if it's compatable with .170)
3. Launch mame and can see game rom. Click to play and screen just goes black. I can start the game and I hear sounds and can play but no screen. any ideas. Thanks Lorenzo

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: black screen "help"

Post by Hierophant » March 24th, 2016, 5:46 pm

G'day :hello:

Tell me which game you tried so I can double check it for you.

You can check ROM compatibility in MAME GUI. In the left pane select the 'All Games' folder. In the <search here> bar at the top right type a game name to narrow down the list. In the game list go right click > Audit on a game to see if all of the required game files are present.

ld17
Gamer
Gamer

Post by ld17 » March 24th, 2016, 7:53 pm

It was pacman Midway version. I just googled it and it is light green in mame and it says nothing is missing.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » March 26th, 2016, 1:14 am

Well, Pac-Man is definitely not a problem for MAME. I can only guess that your configuration might be messed up somehow. Try deleting mame.ini. You can keep a backup if you want. If no mame.ini is present then a default one will get made the next time MAME is launched.

ld17
Gamer
Gamer

Post by ld17 » April 1st, 2016, 8:25 am

tried deleting mame.ini and I still get a black screen when launched. Can hear sounds but no picture. I tried it on another computer and I managed to get games playing and working but not on this original computer I initially tried it on. Any other thoughts. Thanks

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » April 4th, 2016, 1:15 am

Try going into Options/Game Options and turning off all the different items there... For testing make sure the video mode is set to Direct3D... The only time I had a black screen but still had sound, I was using the wrong HLSL files for the version of MAME I had installed...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » April 4th, 2016, 2:54 am

Alternatively to what Panther said, since Direct3D is normally the default video mode, you could also try forcing DirectDraw or GDI and see if that does anything.

ld17
Gamer
Gamer

Post by ld17 » April 7th, 2016, 10:42 am

thanks for the suggestions. Still nothing works. I've even tried an older version of mame to see if that did anything and still the same black screen with sound.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » April 7th, 2016, 6:06 pm

You've certainly got me scratching my head ld17, I've been using MAME for about 15 years and, other than the problem I had and solved, I really haven't come across this problem unless it's been graphics driver or a previously mentioned settings issue... Is there another computer you can use so we can eliminate whether or not it's windows or MAME settings..? We don't give up easily here and are more than happy to help you get things up and running...
Ooer... No pictures...

ld17
Gamer
Gamer

Post by ld17 » April 12th, 2016, 7:58 am

PantherUK wrote:You've certainly got me scratching my head ld17, I've been using MAME for about 15 years and, other than the problem I had and solved, I really haven't come across this problem unless it's been graphics driver or a previously mentioned settings issue... Is there another computer you can use so we can eliminate whether or not it's windows or MAME settings..? We don't give up easily here and are more than happy to help you get things up and running...
I got it to work on another computer I have. But it's not working on my computer at work. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.