HLSL - specs to run?

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
ninjabadger
Gamer
Gamer

HLSL - specs to run?

Post by ninjabadger » March 20th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Hi,

My MAME machine is currently running a Core2Duo 3.3ghz CPU with 4gb RAM.

Plays 99% of games perfectly.

However I've been recently testing out HLSL on my laptop (i7) and I really like it.

I tried to implement it on my cab but it just slows the games to a crawl (onboard graphics).

Does anyone know if I fit an ATI HD 4350 1gb into my MAME PC if I'll be able to use HLSL? I can get one for under £10.

Really like the look HLSL gives.

Thanks,

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: HLSL - specs to run?

Post by Hierophant » March 20th, 2016, 6:59 pm

There are too many variables to fully predict the results, but having a separate graphics card will surely help a lot. If you can at least see the games, albeit running slow, then that's a promising sign. I remember when HLSL first came out and I tried it on my old Pentium 4 with onboard graphics and all I got was a black screen. Of course, it's not a problem for the i7 I have now.

ninjabadger
Gamer
Gamer

Re: HLSL - specs to run?

Post by ninjabadger » March 21st, 2016, 5:05 am

Thanks, thought as much.

Had hoped someone with a similar spec may know.

As it's so cheap I've purchased the card anyway. Fingers crossed it enables me to play HLSL as now I've seen it I don't want to go back to standard mame filtered graphics.

I'm feeling fairly confident as like I say the machine currently plays almost all games at 100% and if the new card can deal with all the D3D stuff the CPU can continue to run the games.

I'm also planning on OC'ing the CPU to 4ghz (just bought a MB which allows this), so hopefully this will help too.