Mortal Kombat 4.

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Dundee

Mortal Kombat 4.

Post by Dundee » January 25th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Hey team, it's a pleasure to be posting here with all of you. I've run MAME perfectly fine in the past, with older style games particularly from the SNES era. After reading the title, a lot of you may know where this thread is going. I've recently re-sparked my interest in MAME, as I am going to build a MAME cabinet to go all the way with this hobby. To start, I wanted to make sure I had all the MAME software down. So I downloaded MAME, several versions actually, along with the MK4 ROM. However, I'm unable to make it populate under my "Available Games" tab. And, I was hoping you guys would be able to shed some light on this monster.

Just some quick info about my gear:

Dell Desktop Tower - Pentium processor (This won't be the computer I'm installing in the cabinet, just the one I use personally and the one I'm using to try to get these ROM's to work).
MAME version .169 (I actually downloaded several versions trying to get this to work, so I've got a few on my computer, but I feel like this one is the latest)
Windows 8 (Haven't upgraded to 8.1) yet.

I got my ROM from Emuparadise, and just to knock down a few of the things I already tried:

-Changed the file name of the ROM
-Verified my ROM directory (I know it's the right one, because I also downloaded the Mortal Kombat 2 ROM and placed it in the same directory as 4. MK2 will show in MAME, but not MK4)
- I also downloaded clrmamepro, but I'm not exactly sure how to use it haha

The last thing I tried was to try to play the ROM in MAME Plus! This didn't correct the problem either. However, in the "All Games" tab, an info message appears for each game, and under the MK4 info page it says "THIS GAME DOESN'T WORK." "You won't be able to make it work correctly. Don't bother." "The game lacks sound."

But, I feel like this isn't true, because I've seen people play it before.

Yeah guys, I'm at a loss. Please forgive a first-time poster for being a help-vampire. Any assistance would be great.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: Mortal Kombat 4.

Post by PantherUK » January 25th, 2016, 5:46 pm

I can confirm that MK4 does work in MAME, albeit a bit slowly on this PC which isn't my cabinet... This one has MAME 0.149 on it... Audit the R0M and get back to us with the results...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » January 25th, 2016, 7:13 pm

I would say Mortal Kombat 4 kinda works. It was in pretty rough shape last time I looked, though.

Here's a test I did on 4 Oct 2014 for MAME 0.152. Note the square fireballs and white shadows and choppy sound. The MAME performance counter is also included at the top right to show how much the emulation struggles throughout:

Dundee

Post by Dundee » January 25th, 2016, 8:09 pm

Wow guys thanks for the speedy replies!

Yeah, when I audit it in MamePlus! I get this message:

ROM Check: Failed
Sample check: None required

In the details box, it just says the ROM is not found.

In MAME version .169 I get this message after the audit:

mk4 : c32boot.bin (16384 bytes) - NOT FOUND (tms32032)

Hope that helps!

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » January 26th, 2016, 1:25 am

Due to romsets changing sometimes as MAME is improved and updated it could simply be that you have the wrong version of the set for the versions of MAME you are using... I personally would google MAME 0.169 roms and try to get the set that matches the version of MAME you have there...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » January 26th, 2016, 6:37 am

OK, tms32032.zip, which contains c32boot.bin, is a sound device ROM. It's not part of mk4.zip. Sound device ROMs are normally common to a suite of games, therefore, they are treated separately in MAME, similar to a BIOS. One copy of a sound device ROM placed in the ROMs folder will do for any dependent games.

Dundee

Post by Dundee » January 29th, 2016, 11:27 pm

Excellent guys, I took your advice and now the game works. It's actually quite smooth. No input lag at all. I do notice that some artifacts get removed from the characters though, as if I can see right through them in some places. But it's live with-able.

Thank you so much!

You guys were great.

ninjabadger
Gamer
Gamer

Post by ninjabadger » March 10th, 2016, 4:47 am

Yeah it's playable for sure.

Only thing is you'll need to set per game controls for this as they are all messed up by default. I.e the moves don't match the buttons you would expect them to as per the normal MK layout.