MAMEUI64 and HISCORE.DAT Compatibility

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
INTVaddict
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

MAMEUI64 and HISCORE.DAT Compatibility

Post by INTVaddict » December 31st, 2015, 1:01 pm

Hey there and Happy New Year, everybody! :cheers:

You know how the web has a way of catching you as you wind your way down a long tunnel of linked content, like the featured video today (Incito and Neckshedder1 do Alien vs. Predator)? Well, I wound up subscribing to Neckshedder1's Youtube channel and watched a tutorial video about a persistent High-Score data file (HISCORE.DAT) that had been phased out of later official versions of MAME. His video mentions that, apart from being a super genius who can compile your own MAME with whatever feature you can think of, some front-end/MAME versions do not support the HISCORE.DAT file.

I did a board search using the current version I use and didn't find a match, so I thought I'd ask: does anyone know if HISCORE.DAT functionality is supported in MAME64 (M.A.M.E. 0.164) and or the front-end, MAMEUI64?

I realize that most MAME games have a persistent high-score feature that doesn't require this workaround, but I figured if I want the "full MAME experience," I'd see if this was something I could add to shore up any feature deficits my setup currently has.

:: tosses down smoke-bomb and tip-toes out, stage right ::

INTVaddict
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Re: MAMEUI64 and HISCORE.DAT Compatibility

Post by INTVaddict » December 31st, 2015, 1:34 pm

Maybe I shouldn't ask and answer...but I've been looking everywhere in the options screens for default and game-specific menus for MAMEUI and where there would be an option to link to a HISCORE.DAT file, there's just no option. MAMEUI has a way to link to a HISTORY.DAT file, but this is filled with trivia...interesting, but not what I need.

This is the only frustrating thing about MAME is all the hybrids out there...so when I come across something like Neckshedder1's video, it's a toss-up whether I can even use the info.

Oh well...back to the drawing board.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » December 31st, 2015, 4:54 pm

Hey, thanks for subscribing to my neckshredder1 YouTube channel. Heh, that's shredder with an "r", by the way. Not your fault the spelling got messed up in the AVP video on the MAME Addicts channel, though.
:ouch:

Anyway, here's my video:

How to Save High Scores in MAME - https://youtu.be/EBPTiOX3qms

The answer is pretty straightforward and I provide it early on in the tutorial. Basically, use MAMEUIFX:

http://mame32fx.altervista.org/home.htm

Don't use MAMEUI. Just because it's the official GUI port of MAME source doesn't make it better. MAMEUIFX is superior in so many ways, one such being this exact topic; it supports the hiscore.dat file.

INTVaddict
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by INTVaddict » December 31st, 2015, 7:32 pm

Oh, it IS neckshredder1. Thank god, lmao. I was like "what kind of name is..."

Ah, another front-end. Okay.

Next question, if you have the time before the year ends... If you've already applied a different front-end to your installation of MAME...can you just apply a new front-end on top of the existing installation...or do you have to start over, and like move your content to the new installation of MAME. ...if that makes sense.

It's just that I seem to recall that when installing MAMEUI, it did something to the executable for MAME, and is installed within the main MAME installation directory. I'm not sure if that means that it integrated itself INTO the installation or not.

INTVaddict
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by INTVaddict » December 31st, 2015, 7:35 pm

Oh, and also: do I have to upgrade to the newest MAME in order to use the front-end for that version? That's probably an obvious 'yes,' but I'm kind of lazy here.

I mean, will it just fail if I use MAMEUIFX 0.168 on top of my MAME 0.164?

INTVaddict
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by INTVaddict » December 31st, 2015, 7:55 pm

Sorry about all the crap additional posts. I can't believe I can't edit myself after the fact. It's kind of my normal modus operandi.

Anyway, scratch all the previous. It's all working. No issues... Happy New Year, lol..

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » January 1st, 2016, 12:55 am

Haha, yeah. I'm a shredder of guitar necks. :liil:

As I explained to another member, here, there is good reason for us not to have self edits among the regular populace. It doesn't bother me if people rack up some extra posts because of that.

Nice work. Welcome to MAMEUIFX! :hello: