Wanting to Upgrade my MAME

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Rotgut
Gamer
Gamer

Wanting to Upgrade my MAME

Post by Rotgut » December 2nd, 2015, 11:05 am

Hey, hope all is well everyone! Thanks for all you do, admins!

So I have a couple of quick questions. I have been running MAME v.0.128 for nearly 5 years and would like to do a re-install using a much newer version. Someone suggested v.0.167 ? What do you recommend? I want to be able to start taking advantage of all the HLSL stuff.

Secondly, when I go to obtain roms, is there a "Full Set" that exists that will run on v.0.167 ? I'm confused as to what roms I should be downloading for a specific version of MAME. I'm trying to avoid an eternal easter egg hunt, so I'd prefer a full set? I am extremely lost, I'm not going to lie.

Not asking for any particular rom links, I realize that is a no-no, just some helpful advice.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Wanting to Upgrade my MAME

Post by Hierophant » December 3rd, 2015, 3:10 am

Hey, mate. What you're asking is kinda complicated. Here's my perspective. :hello:

HLSL is a relatively recent addition to MAME and still seems to be under a fair bit of development. That makes it hard to settle on a specific MAME version while things are progressing. I'm mostly using the latest MAMEUIFX for now:

http://mame32fx.altervista.org/home.htm

The MAMEUIFX guy (Mamesick) is always keeping up to date with the latest improvements for the new shaders. Besides HLSL, that also includes support for the OpenGL shaders, Lottes and CRT Geom. Naturally, though, bugs can sometimes crop up, so I keep an older stable version on hand as a backup if anything goes awry in the latest version.

As such, I can't say definitively, "Use version X." To me, the situation seems too fluid for the time being.

For full set ROMs, I use theoldcomputer; a truly fantastic site, but full access will cost ya! When I joined the minimum donation was $10. I was so impressed with their collection I threw in a little more than that!
:woot:

Currently, their MAME section has a full set at v0.155 and update ROMs for every version after that.

I guess another option would be retroroms. I'm not a member there, but as far as I know they're always keeping their MAME stuff up to date.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » December 3rd, 2015, 5:33 am

or there's a pretty complete subset containing all the good games for MAME 0.152 to be found on thepiratebay or torrentz, and with custom configuration files for the most hard to configure games !

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » December 3rd, 2015, 6:24 am

I will not recommend or discuss torrents here. That's for the individual to figure out for themselves whether or not they wish to take that course of action.