U-Trak Trackball, Mini IPAC Opti & MAME - Help Please?

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Rotgut
Gamer
Gamer

U-Trak Trackball, Mini IPAC Opti & MAME - Help Please?

Post by Rotgut » November 10th, 2015, 11:39 am

Hi, everyone! New member here. Looks like a nice place, I like the layout/vibe. Hope there's lots of interaction!

I have everything up and running with a custom control panel I recently built from scratch. I will post pics as soon s I can — but first, I have a problem...

I am using a Mini-Pac Opti, I have assigned the majority of my controls via Winipac v.2. The issue is, I cannot seem to figure out how to get the U-Trak trackball to operate within MAME.

First, the trackball ** does indeed function ** as a mouse in Win 7... it also functions to scroll up and down in HyperSpin menus and even scrolls up and down while in the "Tab" options screen... just can't seem to get it to operate in an actual MAME game...

One thing I ** did ** do was locate two (2) MAME.ini files and change each one's Mouse setting from 0 to . There was one ini file in the "main" MAME emulator/executable folder and another one in a sub folder called "ini". Not sure why there are multiple ini files but okay...

When I go to Tab key settings in MAME and go to Track X Analog and Track Y Analog and I try to program a trackball spin... nothing happens, nothing registers...

Besides that, I'm lost as to what to do.

I have spent hours searching for answers online and I am no better off. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance and ttys : )

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: U-Trak Trackball, Mini IPAC Opti & MAME - Help Please?

Post by PantherUK » November 10th, 2015, 12:35 pm

I don't use Hyperspin, but to get the trackball on my tankstick working in game, I had to enable mouse input in MameUIFX in the game settings...
Ooer... No pictures...

Rotgut
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Rotgut » November 10th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Just noticed this

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2165&start=10

Maybe that will help. Hoping.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » November 10th, 2015, 4:09 pm

Ok, you may need to use the command line to generate a fresh ini, and then set the appropriate values for the track device.
This video here should give you a good starting point. https://youtu.be/t82rG0UMzFs?list=PL0CABFEF11F175A7A

One thing I found was in this manul here. http://www.ultimarc.com/Mini-PAC%20Manual1.pdf
Not sure if this is the same PAC as yours?
The end of the wiring harness that plugs into the Mini-PAC’s 40-pin header. Note the filled-in “key” at the
pin 1 position, on the right. Shown is the “Basic” harness, as it lacks any wiring for spinners & trackballs,
which would be to the left, if present.
The three wiring harness options differ only in the connections for optical devices (trackballs and
spinners). The “Basic” harness has no connections for these controls; the “Opti/Happ” harness has
connectors for easily attaching the harness to an Oscar Controls spinner and a Happ Controls trackball
;
the “Opti/Ultimarc” harness is identical to the ‘Happ’ harness except that the terminations for the
trackball cater to the trackball available form Ultimarc.

Important notes about using optical devices with the Mini-PAC:
• The Mini-PAC is not compatible with the Suzo/Wico trackballs; and,
• Trackball/Spinner functionality only works via a USB connection, not a PS/2 PC connection .
Do you have a "Basic harness"?

Rotgut
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Rotgut » November 10th, 2015, 4:34 pm

Actually, first things first — thank you for the reply : )

I have what is called a USB-powered "Mini-Pac Opti" and this version includes spinner and trackball capability, along with a pre-wired wiring harness:

http://www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html

Hilarious re: that manual. I never received one shred of instruction from Ultimarc with my order — or even a link to an online manual, for that matter. Just the board and the wiring. I did track down some very confusing web pages via Ultimarc's website... lots of information spread all around in pieces and parts... it is so confusing.

Andy at Ultimarc is awesome and he is trying to help me, but I wish his company would provide a clear, concise, step-by-step set of instructions for installing these boards and getting them to at least run in MAME.

I will check into that PDF later tonight. Thank you so much :V:

Rotgut
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Rotgut » November 13th, 2015, 12:45 pm

For anyone interested, I was finally able to solve the problem thanks to help from this board and other places.

I had to create a new ini file using the command line - - the problem was compounded by the fact that I was getting command line errors. And then to make matters worse, I could not figure out where the ini was being generated (to find it.) I did some searching and finally found the new ini file and changed Mouse to "1." That did it.

Thanks again for the help!

Rotgut
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Rotgut » November 16th, 2015, 1:20 pm

FYI, my issue is solved. The problem was my ini file and every time I tried generating a new one... I had trouble.

Thank you to everyone who offered help. Awesome place!

I wish there was more traffic here... I really love the vibe here! Kind of like The Old Computer forums... that place is awesome too but very light traffic. Sadly.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » November 17th, 2015, 8:50 am

Thanks for the compliment.
Yeah, those INI files can be troublesome. I had a feeling that was what it might have been. Glad you sorted it out! :thumbsup:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » November 19th, 2015, 2:15 am

Agreed, theoldcomputer is really nice. They've got ROMs for days! I gladly paid the price for unlimited access and even threw in some extra dollars in appreciation of their fantastic collection.

:SM: