Results of Using GLSL

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Results of Using GLSL

Post by PantherUK » October 17th, 2015, 6:06 pm

Hey all, after doing my yearly MAME update I've been toying with GLSL with fairly good results... The banding on the first two full screens is due to the camera and screen, so I've put up some smaller close ups so the shader effects can be seen better...

Vertical...

Image Image

Horizontal...

Image Image

The only real issues I've had have been with some of the higher resolution games, namely Atari Paperboy and Super Sprint etc... The scanlines are uneven and there seems to be the same sort of banding you get when photographing an LCD screen with a phone camera...

Image Image

On the whole though I am well impressed, having a monitor which is permanently in portrait mode, I was getting uneven and ugly scanlines on almost everything, but now almost everything is very good... I have been using the CRT Geom HQ for horizontal and the vertical version for, well you know, vertical... Highly recommended for anyone wanting to recreate a CRT look, so much better than HLSL in my opinion for achieving this, at least on my set up... Just need to look into how to making higher res games look a bit better...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Results of Using GLSL

Post by Hierophant » October 19th, 2015, 12:14 am

Thanks for posting those screens. Yeah, the CRT Geom shader seems to be the way to go at the moment in MAMEUIFX 0.166. I can get pretty similar results with HLSL in older versions by changing the "shadow_mask_texture" setting in mame.ini, amongst other things. Here's an example of Street Fighter II looking quite nice with HLSL in MAMEUIFX 0.155:

Ken & Ryu - https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cxVS ... -02-89.jpg

I dunno if something changed with HLSL recently, though, because nothing I've tried with the "shadow_mask_texture" setting has had any effect in 0.166, which is a bit frustrating. It just stays stuck on the same old chunky scanlines for some reason, instead of letting me change it to that suitably grainy look.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » October 19th, 2015, 12:28 am

I was finding with HLSL I was having to tweak each game individually to get the effect I wanted... With GLSL every game, barring the ones I've highlighted, looks like a perfectly tuned CRT without having to mess about... Sure with HLSL there are plenty of options to tweak, but I didn't really use them other than the scanlines...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » October 19th, 2015, 1:50 am

Everything has its good points and bad points. OpenGL is good for easy set and forget. HLSL is good for easy experimentation.

Here's a cool tip for people going with OpenGL. With the Horizontal and Vertical folders, go right click > Properties > OpenGL and adjust the Main MAME Shader accordingly; CRT Geom HQ for the Horizontal folder and CRT Geom HQ Vertical for the Vertical folder. A horizont.ini and a vertical.ini will get created. That's a very quick way to apply the appropriate version of the shader to all games.