Export a subset from a full romset ?

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Export a subset from a full romset ?

Post by Voljega » September 28th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Hello, here is my problem :

I have a romset for MAME 0.152 with a custom favorites.ini listing games by genre.

I'd like if possible to use a tool which would allow me to export from my roms directory to an external directory :
- games using a certain kind of hardware (neogeo, cps1, etc...) with their drivers
- games from my favorites.ini file with their drivers, possibly from a certain genre

Being able to combine both criterias would be even greater !

(This is for building a working romset from Final Burn Alpha libretto)

Does such a tool exist ?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Export a subset from a full romset ?

Post by Hierophant » September 28th, 2015, 7:08 pm

It looks like it might be possible to do something along those lines with a tool like clrmamepro. See here:

https://code.google.com/p/mame-rr/wiki/ ... r_profiles

However, it would probably be a lot less hassle to just grab a full FBA ROM set from somewhere.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 29th, 2015, 1:25 am

I'm not sure even clrmamepro allows to do that from all i've read

Well the aim is exactly to NOT use a full set, but a fully optimized subset with only working and favorites games

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 29th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Yeah, I doubt clrmamepro can do anything that specific. I was thinking more along the lines of making an FBA profile and using it to grab what it can from the MAME ROMs then whittling it down by hand.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 30th, 2015, 12:29 am

Yeah I thought about that too but i've read pretty complete tutorials and they never mention anythign about suppressing some roms, only fixing or rebuiding them.

Well my set is only 1389 files from wich I've chosen 550-600 games as favorites so I guess I'll have to copy all that on the Rapsberry PIe and delete the ones I never play.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 30th, 2015, 2:44 am

Dunno if it helps, but there is another tool that's like the opposite of clrmamepro. MAME Content Manager (MCM) is designed to get rid of stuff, like delete all mahjong games, etc. See here:

http://mcm.mameworld.info/

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 30th, 2015, 5:52 am

This looks exactly like what I was looking for, I'll try it if needed because I found a custom solution allowing me to keep only files in MAME updates wich I previously owned in my custom set

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 1st, 2015, 3:41 am

I hadn't thought about that program for years. Took a while to figure out what it was called again. Eventually found it in this big list of utilities here:

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Utilities

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » October 1st, 2015, 4:00 am

Yeah I think I will try it with a fullset for a future version.

I've upgraded with a custom method : took all updates packages containing rom files from 0.152 to 0.161 and kept only roms from those packages I already had in the 0.152 version.
I've then copied those roms over the old ones.
Then I upgraded my mame executable.

This went good but not so well :D
In part because of roms renaming but I'm correcting that with the help of progetto rename sets

I'm using a old GUI wich may cause some troubles (for example if I put my CHD directly in the roms folders it doesn't detect the game as available but can launch it)

Well I dit not do a full audit but here's some results :
0.152 : 1289 available games (according to the GUI), 600 favorites
0.161 : 1049 available games (according to the GUI), 599 favorites

So I loosed some 240 games according to the GUI.
While correcting some renaming problems it appears that the GUI maybe runs some kind of checksum / basic verifications to declare the games as available : the file with the right name can be there but it is not enough to declare it as available.

The interesting case is the disappearing favorite : It was the NO-CD version of Red Earth.
In 0.152 it does appear in my favorites, available arcades and all arcades games, and the audit is ok
In 0.161 it doesn't appear in the 'all arcads games' anymore, both other versions are still there.

It's as that specific version is not considered as being part of 0.161 full romset anymore. And it's not in progetto-emma either ?? (the other twos are in progetto-emma)

I will compare the have-list to understand why the 240-some others have disappeared but I think it maybe the same problem (or complex issues of merged set being overwritten by split roms of thing like that)

In the meantine does anyone encountered that disappearing version problem for red earth or other games ??

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » October 1st, 2015, 11:50 am

OK found some clues.

From 0.152 to 0.161 I lost at least three games wich seems to be neo games, for instance :
2020bb.zip 2020 Super Baseball set1 (neogeo.inc-> neogeo_noslot.c)
3countb.zip 3 Count Bout / Fire Suplex NGM-043 NGH-043 (neogeo.inc-> neogeo_noslot.c)

Now the interesting thing is that when I right click them with my GUI, just up from 'Properties' is a line which seem to refer to a driver used by the game :
in 0.152 'Properties for neogeo.inc'
in 0.161 'Properties for neogeo_noslot.c'

And I notice that my favorites list contains games like all Metal Slug for which it says they are not present, with the same ''Properties for neogeo_noslot.c'' on the right click, even if those are playable.

I think I have to find missind drivers or something ...