alienware Alpha?

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
eidesign
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

alienware Alpha?

Post by eidesign » September 14th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Can someone tell me what the rage is about these when I thought Mame would run good on a crackerjack of a system?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: alienware Alpha?

Post by Hierophant » September 15th, 2015, 6:06 pm

I dunno, man, since the majority of MAME games will even run fine on an old piece of junk Pentium 4. Newer computers mainly help with performance in some of the 3D games.

eidesign
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by eidesign » September 17th, 2015, 1:40 pm

I was thinking of getting a poop box from wallmart I saw one from $300 unless I get a referb from best buy.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 18th, 2015, 3:19 am

Oh, and a reasonably beefy system is also good if you want to explore the benefits of MAME HLSL.

eidesign
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by eidesign » September 19th, 2015, 11:41 am

I'm sorry noob so I don't know what MAME HLSL is of yet.. :crying: :confused:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 19th, 2015, 6:48 pm

Oh, it's a marvelous thing! :woot:

HLSL stands for High-Level Shading Language. Its implementation in newer versions of MAME allows us to mimic the look of old CRT arcade monitors on modern LCD flat panels. For example:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/us ... ldnaxe.png

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 20th, 2015, 5:05 am

Please file this into 'Incredible stupid noob question' but if you're not interested in the curved screen effect, what's the big catch compared to the simple scanline setting accessible through the in-game tab menu ?

I'm aware this is a very complicated technical matter : I've read the whole thread at the shmups site you've linked elsewhere.
I'm also aware that each game or at list emulated hardware works different and so different settings are needed.

But I mean for someone like me who's ok to have a better looking visual for its game but doesn't necessarily feels the need for a perfect visual emulation as long as the game itself works fine, is it really worth to spend a lot of time on this ?

Finally since what version number of MAME is it considered to work without too much bugs ?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 20th, 2015, 7:53 am

I think it's not only the superior CRT replication effects of HLSL which makes it leaps and bounds ahead of the bog standard old scanlines, it's also the colour control possibilities which make it a far more preferable display method. The post by NUeda about Super Contra is very telling in this regard:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 64#p917964

For the time being, I'm mainly using MAMEUIFX 0.155 for HLSL stuff. As discussed here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2381 - the curvature clipping bug in newer versions is not an issue in 0.155. There are plenty of other versions that would suffice, though. 0.155 just happened to be a version I still had lying around from when Zero Team and Raiden II and Raiden DX got added.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 20th, 2015, 9:57 am

OK thanks !

Well I must have missed something. A few weeks ago I read all the changelog from my version 0.152 to newest version to see if I missed anything interesting without seeing that so many games were promoted to working status in 0.155.

I think I'll have to update anytime... I was waiting for the next 'major' version 1.70

(The following question seems to me to be ok with the forum guidelines but if it is not please suppress it)

BTW does any of you ever used the upgrade packages from emuparadise updating only the modified roms from one MAME version to the next one (set they call MAME 0.155 to 0.156 Update Pack for example) ? Is it reliable and useful or is it better to get a full set somewhere ? And does it handle rom name changes ?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 20th, 2015, 10:33 am

I never used any update packs before because I never bothered to learn clrmamepro. :ouch:

I acquired a 0.119 full set at some point to have the most games for net play, of which I threw out a few large and largely pointless CHD games. Other than that I keep some recent versions to check out new game additions that pique my interest, mess around with HLSL, and test things for people who are having MAME problems.