KonamiGX/Smexy Parodius performance

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Re: KonamiGX/~Not Here Please~ Parodius performance

Post by retrofreak90 » July 28th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Yep, that 20% was used by a completely unnecessary process - called xbox.exe. - that appeared when I installed XB360 controller drivers (official ones, too). Killing it had no effect on my controller settings whatsoever. Gotta love Microsoft...

"Narc" runs perfectly in GLSL, it's only HLSL that causes it problems. I'll just use GL for that game, it's not quite as pretty as HL but it does the job.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » July 29th, 2015, 12:03 am

Ha ha, naughty Microsoft! :ouch:

That still seems like a strange result, though. The 700 - 900% unthrottled performance I mentioned before was in the oldest version of MAME that I use (0.119). When I apply HLSL or GLSL to Narc in MAME 0.162 there is virtually no difference in unthrottled performance between the two shaders. In that case I get around 600 - 800% above normal. Even just plain Direct3D is barely any different. It's basically around 600% during the gameplay demo and up to about 800% on the title screen no matter which of those settings I use.

I'd be interested to know your approximate unthrottled performance values in Narc for each variable:

1) No shaders, just Direct3D.
2) With GLSL.
3) With HLSL.

The insert key is the default unthrottle button.

Also, can you please post the contents of your mame.ini using the code tags, like so:

[code] your mame.ini contents [/code].

In the meantime, you might also wanna try making a backup of your mame.ini, move it out, and see if restoring baseline has any affect on these performance issues.

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 29th, 2015, 6:39 am

I'll be happy to do that but I think I've found the problem, and it's HLSL pre-scaling (which I use to ensure scanlines are nice and even). I now have Narc running at 100% on HLSL with prescale set at 5. Any higher than that and I get issues. The same also applies to Smexy.

So knowing this, do you still want me to do the other stuff?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » July 30th, 2015, 4:36 am

No, it's all good now, mate. I'm finally satisfied that we've fixed this one properly. :V:

You must've read my mind. It occurred to me that excessive pre-scaling was another likely cause of system stress, so the pre-scale settings were the main thing I wanted to check in your mame.ini, then give the rest of it the once over for good measure. The unthrottled performance stuff was more for own curiosity about testing how our systems compared in a similar situation.

Job well done! :wizard:

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 30th, 2015, 6:34 am

Just to satisfy both our curiosities I ran it unthrottled in direct3d with HLSL disabled and yeah, I also got 600% during the gameplay and up to about 800% on the title screen so all is good.

Thanks again for sticking with this and being so helpful. :thumbsup: