KonamiGX/Smexy Parodius performance

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

KonamiGX/Smexy Parodius performance

Post by retrofreak90 » July 18th, 2015, 7:39 am

Hello chaps (and chapesses), :hello:

I have a question; is the KonamiGX driver especially performance-hungry? I have a reasonable PC (3.2 Ghz Quadcore, 2 GB Geforce 750TI) but I can't get "~Not Here Please~ Parodius" to run well at all.

When things get busy. I get stuttering, sound skips, framerate drops etc. I've messed around with the usual suspects (lowered sound quality, skipped a couple of frames, disabled bilinear filtering etc.) If I switch from HLSL to GLSL to problem a SLIGHTLY improved, but it's still not great. Is this a known thing of KonamiGX games? Is there anything I can do to run SP better?

As always, all help much appreciated.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: KonamiGX/~Not Here Please~ Parodius performance

Post by Hierophant » July 19th, 2015, 9:23 am

Hey, retrofreak90, sorry about the auto-word censor interfering with your post! I'll refer to the game as Smexy Parodius for convenience. :wink:

Well, I tested Smexy Parodius and didn't get any performance drops. That was with HLSL settings active. Going by the system specs you've told us so far, you shouldn't have any problems. Maybe there is some underlying problem with the drivers of your new GPU.

First of all, please answer the following questions and then I'll try to help you out:
  • Is it a desktop or a laptop (on-board or plugin graphics adapter)?
  • What is the OS (XP/Vista/7/8/8.1)? Is it 32 or 64 bit?
  • Was the graphics adapter that you used before your current one an AMD/ATI or NVidia?
  • Before you unplugged your old graphics adapter and plugged in your new one, did you completely uninstall all of your old graphic adapter's software and drivers?

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 19th, 2015, 10:51 am

Hi Hierophant (easily the most helpful board member of anywhere, ever! :yes: )

I DID wonder about that "not here please" business, so smexy it is.

Okay, to answer your questions:

1) It's a desktop PC (a brand new one at that) with a plug-in GPU.
2) It's 64-bit, running Windows 7 SP1.
3) The last time I played Smexy was on my OLD 32-bit PC, with an AMD card. There were no issues, but this was using an OLD version of Mame; Mame32 v106
4) Not an issue, due to the 'new PC' thing. My GPU drivers and Direct X are also up-to-date (or they were as of a week ago).

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 19th, 2015, 11:39 am

Ah, OK. I had a different assumption from your first post on the forums:
retrofreak90 wrote:
I've upgraded my GPU from a Radeon HD to a Geforce 750 TI, my monitor hasn't changed.
I thought you put a new card into an existing PC. I figured that there may have been a conflict being caused by an incomplete removal of previous drivers. In light of it being whole a new rig, though, that seems erroneous now. I do still wonder if it's a driver problem. There was a recent query here that has some similarities:

Cannot display in full screen on mame 0.152 - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2354

Unfortunately, he never replied back after my research regarding a recent Nvidia driver bug causing MAME display problems. Here's the thread from Arcade Controls again:

Constant reboot when starting MAME...FIXED! - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=111834.0

Doing a driver rollback is not ideal, since it may affect installed PC games, but I think it's worth checking out. You can always revert back to the new drivers if it doesn't fix the problem.

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 19th, 2015, 12:58 pm

I checked out those links and the problem those guys were having is very different to mine. Everything displays fine, fullscreen, all effects etc. but the framerate is the thing.

I overclocked my CPU from 3.2ghz to 3.4 and Smexy Parodius (I shall forever think of it as this now!) runs perfectly. The thing is, I'm not really keen on overclocking due to heat etc. I was hoping there was some kind of game-specific setting - other than the obvious ones - that would sort it. Certainly every other sprite-based game runs perfectly no matter what settings I throw at them.

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 19th, 2015, 1:34 pm

SOLVED IT! I set the game's "Thread Priority" to real-time and it now runs perfectly! I'm not someone who has a million processes running in the background but clearly something was eating up valuable processor time.

So yeah, worth remembering for anyone else who might experience a similar problem.

Thanks for taking the time to help me mate.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 19th, 2015, 10:09 pm

I'm glad it wasn't the Nvidia driver bug, but I'm still not entirely happy with the outcome.

Ideally, MAME's "Thread priority" slider should never need to be used. While changing the setting from 0 (default) to 1 allows MAME to run uninterrupted by other processes, it can also slow down MAME's ability to read control input. The fact that increasing "Thread priority" fixed the problem points to another issue. As you surmised, it seems that something is taking up too much of your system's resources. I would recommend looking into how you can optimize Windows 7 performance.

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 20th, 2015, 7:12 am

Ah. I didn't realise that 'Thread Priority' had a knock-on effect regarding input etc. Time to do some research into my Windows processes....

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 22nd, 2015, 6:45 am

Okay, I've disabled a couple of needless processes (including one that was using up to 20% of my CPU) and the game now runs great without faffing with thread priority, so THANK YOU!

Thing is, I've just downloaded "Narc" and THAT'S running a bit crappy (as are the 'Cruisin' games). I'm guessing they're just power-hungry?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 27th, 2015, 8:58 pm

Whoa.... 20%. That is some greedy process. :ohmy:

I would expect performance drops with any reasonably complex 3D game in MAME. Narc shouldn't be a problem, though. Granted, there is a bit more to it than most arcade games. It's medium resolution and it's the first 32 bit arcade game. Still, both of our PC's are of similar power and I can run Narc's attract mode unthrottled at about 700 - 900% above normal.