HLSL recommendations

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

HLSL recommendations

Post by retrofreak90 » July 10th, 2015, 9:52 am

Me again (I can only apologise). :blush:

So, I've taken the plunge into HLSL and have learned a lot about tinkering with its awesomeness (and vector games just look...wow :hooray: ). What I'm looking for is recommendations on a small number of specific games/resolutions.

For example, no matter what I do, I can't get "Paperboy" to look good. The scanlines etc. are messy and the image is blurry. Can anyone recommend good HLSL settings for it? I want it to look as close as possible to the original arcade monitor. I suspect I'll have the same questions regarding Sega's System 24 games so again, any advice is much appreciated.

Secondly, I'm loving the screen curvature effect but the left-hand edge is too defined/sharp, while the rest is convincingly blurred. Any ideas?

Finally (and not HLSL-related but I don't want to fill this lovely place with a million different threads), is it possible to remove "Pong" etc. from the available games list? It's great that it's built into MameUIFX, but I'm probably never gonna play it.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: HLSL recommendations

Post by Hierophant » July 14th, 2015, 3:56 am

My first recommendation would be to peruse this thread from the fine folks at Shmups System 11 for a wealth of knowledge:

MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45026

This post in particular relates to the scanline problem with Paperboy and other medium resolution games:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p979075

One crucial thing I gleaned from that thread is that you can change the scanline texture. The default is aperture.png. Try changing it to this instead for that extra grainy look:

Code: Select all

shadow_mask_texture       shadowmask.png

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 15th, 2015, 4:57 pm

Wow! That looks WAY better, especially on the early-mid 80s stuff. And the thread you linked to...SO much info. I think I'm starting to get the hang of HLSL and I'm loving it (vector games look infinitely better), although the left-hand edge of a curved screen is ever-so-slightly cropped, irrespective of whether I reduce horizintal stretch. It's a minor issue though.

So...thank you! :clapping: :V: :hooray: :thumbsup: (I'll stop with the emoticons now...)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 16th, 2015, 5:33 am

The shadowmask overlay is damn cool. It also seems to make games like Paperboy and Toobin' more acceptable to the eye than what you get with aperture.

Yeah, I'm looking into that sharp left hand screen edge problem in HLSL. I'm starting to think it could be a recent bug. From what I've seen, some people's screenshots have the problem and others don't. I haven't had time to test it yet, but it might be possible to get around it by simply using an older MAME version with HLSL support. The only sensible way I can find to deal with it in recent MAME (currently 0.162 for me) is to just do without any of the curvature effects.

Now that you're familiar with the thread at Shmups System 11, my next recommendation would be to try Ueda's INI Creator:

http://mame-hlsl-gallery.blogspot.pt/p/blog-page.html

Even though it's incomplete, INI Creator has got some great presets to mess with, especially for important drivers like Neo-Geo and CPS.

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 18th, 2015, 7:31 am

Ah...I didn't realise the slight curve clipping was a bug, I though it was caused by a setting. I still prefer slight screen curving, bug and all. Good luck in tracking down the cause, mate.

This is a cool little program, very fun to tinker with. Thanks.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 19th, 2015, 6:31 am

I'm not 100% sure it is a bug, but all evidence points in that direction. No setting I tried had any effect on the clipping.

My other prediction turned out to be true. I tested an older version of MAMEUIFX (0.155) and there is no clipping on the left hand edge when using curvature. The older HLSL is a slight compromise, though. There are no round corners or vignetting. Gonna keep an eye on future versions and hope it all gets sorted out eventually.

cudencuden

Post by cudencuden » November 19th, 2015, 10:51 am

Hierophant wrote:My first recommendation would be to peruse this thread from the fine folks at Shmups System 11 for a wealth of knowledge:

MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45026

This post in particular relates to the scanline problem with Paperboy and other medium resolution games:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p979075

One crucial thing I gleaned from that thread is that you can change the scanline texture. The default is aperture.png. Try changing it to this instead for that extra grainy look:

Code: Select all

shadow_mask_texture       shadowmask.png
will try that setting system11 site..thanks

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » November 20th, 2015, 6:59 am

Just a quick heads-up, chaps. The odd display clipping bug is now fixed in Mame 167! HLSL has also received a revamp, mostly to vector games and it looks sweeeet!

I'm so into HLSL now it's not even funny.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » November 20th, 2015, 11:19 am

I gotta get into that myself.

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » November 20th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Yeah, you really REALLY should! HLSL can seem a little daunting at first, but it really isn't and the effects you can achieve with it are amazing. Vector display emulation is the best it's ever been and CRT is no close to the real thing it's spooky. It doesn't just emulate scanlines, but also colour leakage, screen curvature and raster glow.