Mame32 Scanlines issue

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Mame32 Scanlines issue

Post by retrofreak90 » June 22nd, 2015, 12:11 pm

Hey guys

So, I use Mame32 v106 (cos it's fast, lightweight and does everything I need) but, since upgrading my PC, the scanlines are uneven.

I've upgraded my GPU from a Radeon HD to a Geforce 750 TI, my monitor hasn't changed. I've tried changing game resolution from "Auto" to my Monitor's native resolution
but the problem persists. I've tried other resolutions as well. All of this is using Direct Draw.

Any ideas, guys?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Mame32 Scanlines issue

Post by Hierophant » June 23rd, 2015, 5:53 am

G'day :hello:

Why not use Direct3D?

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » June 23rd, 2015, 7:04 am

Yeah, I've tried tinkering with Direct3D but I can't get it to go fullscreen or have a nice blurry bilinear thing going on (despite 'bilinear' being ticked). Do you have direct3D settings you can recommend that would achieve the same look I USED to get with directdraw? I have no idea what 'Prescale' does, I must admit.

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » June 23rd, 2015, 12:00 pm

I HAVE messed around with Direct3D but I can't seem to get it to do what I want. Basically, I want the image stretch to full height (but not width, so it's still 4:3, apart from vertical games, of course), with nice scan-lines and a bit of blurring. I can't get full-screen in direct3D. I've messed around with 'Prescale' also but have no idea what it does.

I have no idea why Directdraw now doesn't behave as it once did.

Yes, I'm useless. :blush:

All help greatly appreciated.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » June 24th, 2015, 2:11 am

As a scanline enthusiast, I can sympathize with your dilemma. :friends:

Prescale makes the graphics sharper by upscaling them before handing them off to DirectX. I normally leave it on default - 1 (no upscaling).

The main video settings I use with Direct3D are:

1) Display > "Enforce aspect ratio" (on).
2) Screen > View > set to "Pixel Aspect".

This keeps the proportions true to the original games. More info on my settings here:

viewtopic.php?p=9235#p9235

One thing you could try with DirectDraw is to turn off "Stretch using hardware". You'll probably lose fullscreen by doing so, but it's just a test to see if it will actually make the scanlines align properly.

Another thing worth checking would be to grab a new version of MAME and two roms (one horizontal game and one vertical) and see if that makes any difference to the problem. I know you might be reluctant to change versions, but MAME 0.106 is not only pretty old now, I believe it also predates a major overhaul of MAME's video system. Although this could end up being purely a problem with the new graphics card, it would be good to try and check MAME's options off the list of possible causes.

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » June 24th, 2015, 7:55 pm

I'm kinda reluctant to use a newer Mame version cos I understand that a few games that work perfectly in 106 DON'T in new versions. What version do you recommend? I'd LOVE to be able to get 106 sorted if possible, though.

Okay, when I turn off " Stretch..." the scanlines ARE properly aligned. Any idea why Stretch is suddenly buggering up now?

As to D3D, I can get scanlines and bilinear filtering, but I can't get a full-screen display (all games have black borders) and the scanlines are too, um, "liney" (definied?)

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » June 25th, 2015, 1:02 am

The HLSL effects, which I believe started with MAMEUIFX 0.149, do an outstanding job... I do however have a few problems with uneven lines on some games that I have to change manually in game, but this is due mainly to having a monitor which is permanently in portrait/vertical position... The version of MAME I currently use in my cabinet is MAMEUIFX 0.156...
Ooer... No pictures...

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 7th, 2015, 10:33 am

Okay, so I've taken the plunge and am now using the latest build of MameUIFX in conjunction with OpenGl and LOTTS shaders. Here's the thing, I now have awesome looking scanlines, slight screen curvature etc. but for some reason, "Outrun" runs at exactly 50% with them enabled, despite the fact that YESTERDAY it ran at 100% with the exact same settings! Other games are running fine at 100%.

I deleted the ini file for the game and tried again, but still I get 50%. My PC is 64but with 8 gig of ram and a 2 gig Gefore750 TI so my rig isn't to blame. What could have changed between yesterday and today to cause this?

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 7th, 2015, 11:15 am

Another update regarding the "Outrun" issue. If I uncheck 'Throttle' the game runs at over 600%, with throttle checked it runs at 50%. Either way I can't seem to get 100%.

Also, while I'm here, I use a Xbox 360 controller. I want to use right trigger for accelerate and left trigger for brake. I can set these no problem but they don't work in-game.

retrofreak90
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by retrofreak90 » July 7th, 2015, 4:13 pm

And a THIRD update (sorry, I couldn't see an option to edit my previous post). So, I deleted the nvram for outrun and it suddenly started running at 100% AND the shoulder buttons of my 360 controller worked. Then, MID-GAME, the shoulder buttons stopped responding! The controller works in other windows programs.

Shinobi ALSO seems to randomly switch between running at exactly 50% and 100%. I am at a total loss.