SF3 Third Strike choppy and lagging on MAME OSX 0.135.

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
illstyle

SF3 Third Strike choppy and lagging on MAME OSX 0.135.

Post by illstyle » June 2nd, 2015, 9:47 am

Hi everyone, first post here. Read the rules, did my research but I still can't figure out my problem.

I'm on a Macbook Pro running 10.10.1 Yosemite.
I have MAME OSX 0.135

What I'm trying to do is get SF3 Third Strike running on my computer. I actually did get it to run but the music and visuals are really choppy. If anyone is on a Mac and is able to play SF3 Third Strike, please help out. It would mean a lot:)

Anyway, I've already followed these instructions from a previous post I found.
http://www.mameaddicts.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=614

I have my sfiii3.zip file in my MAME roms folder along with the cap-33s-2.chd in a subfolder named sfiii3

So yeah, the game works but it's really choppy/laggy. Is there a fix to this?

Maybe it's the version of my MAME? Because in the hyperlink I posted, it says I should use MAME 0.129. But maybe that's a Windows version. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

--incito edit : changed title for better indexing--

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: SF3 Third Strike on MAME OSX 0.135 not working.

Post by Hierophant » June 2nd, 2015, 9:36 pm

G'day :hello:

Yes, all MAME info I post is for Windows versions, although some of it may also apply to other operating systems. I'm not much help with problems specific to Mac.

MAME 0.129 was merely the current version at the time of writing when I was trying to work out how to run Street Fighter III 3rd Strike properly for the first time. SFIII3S was originally made playable in the 0.116 "u" version update cycle, or 0.117 for the first full official version. Using older versions of MAME may make a difference to performance if your machine is on the borderline. Even so, the PC I had back then was a Pentium 4, possibly dating from the last century, yet still able to run SFIII3S just fine.

MAME needs CPU more than anything. Perhaps you can try closing all other non-essential processes and see if that makes a difference. The only other thing I can really suggest for now is to run the game in a Windows emulator to test and compare performance.

illstyle

Post by illstyle » June 2nd, 2015, 10:44 pm

Thanks for the reply!:)

I see. Well, since I'm on a newer version of MAME (0.135) shouldn't it be fine then?
And yes, I've closed all other non-essential processes and it doesn't really make a difference. It's still choppy/laggy..

I've had SFIII3S work on my last computer (Windows) which was about 5 years old and it worked perfectly. My current computer (Macbook Pro 2012) is definitely newer and faster. I am able to play modern games like Starcraft 2 no problem.

You say there's a Windows MAME emulator for Mac? What is it called? I can't seem to find it. Or do you mean I should just get a MAME emulator on a Windows computer?

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » June 3rd, 2015, 12:26 am

I would personally make sure I was running the latest build of MAME... If all else fails a cheap old windows PC would be the way to go...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » June 3rd, 2015, 2:19 am

That's OK! :smile:
illstyle wrote:I see. Well, since I'm on a newer version of MAME (0.135) shouldn't it be fine then?
Not necessarily. Sometimes using an older version of MAME can actually make a game perform better. Performance may decrease over time as MAME development progresses and emulation becomes more accurate. It just depends on the game. More info here:

http://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/FAQ:Performance

So, it might be worth doing a quick check of SFIII3S in MAME OSX 0.119 just to see if it makes any difference.

illstyle wrote:I've had SFIII3S work on my last computer (Windows) which was about 5 years old and it worked perfectly. My current computer (Macbook Pro 2012) is definitely newer and faster. I am able to play modern games like Starcraft 2 no problem.
Yeah, that's the mystery. Apart from the OS itself maybe being a problem, there really doesn't seem to be any good reason why SFIII3S won't run properly for you. Like I said, my old PC was positively ancient and it could play SFIII3S fine while having no hope of running StarCraft 2, (although it could easily handle Brood War).

illstyle wrote:You say there's a Windows MAME emulator for Mac? What is it called? I can't seem to find it. Or do you mean I should just get a MAME emulator on a Windows computer?
No, what I was suggesting is that (short of getting a PC) you can try installing a PC emulator for Mac, then run a Windows version of MAME through that. I have no idea which is the best PC emu to use on Mac, but Wine is one example of such a program:

https://www.winehq.org/

MAMEUIFX is a very nice GUI MAME build for Windows:

http://mame32fx.altervista.org/home.htm

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: SF3 Third Strike choppy and lagging on MAME OSX 0.135.

Post by Incito » June 3rd, 2015, 11:16 am

Mac comes with Bootcamp, which emulates the windows environment. That is what you install your Windows virtual machine on.