Donkey Kong ROM problem

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
tanookitoad979

Donkey Kong ROM problem

Post by tanookitoad979 » May 30th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Hi everyone, I'm sort of new to Mame but I only have one problem, I downloaded a ROM for Donkey Kong titled US set 1, but when I loaded the ROM it only had the first and last stages available, I checked online and there was another file someone used titled JP set 1 and they said in the description it had the other stages. I downloaded it, opened Mame but it didn't recognise the Jp set1 ROM folder. the website I downloaded it from said I need to have the parrent ROM to run the JP set 1 ROM... that parrent ROM being listed as US set 1, now I'm stuck because I have both ROMs but I have no clue how to add JP set 1 to the "parrent ROM" if that's even what you're supposed to do, please help...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Donkey Kong ROM problem

Post by Hierophant » June 2nd, 2015, 10:06 pm

G'day :hello:

The US version of Donkey Kong does have all four stages, the order is just more jumbled up than it is in the Japan version. MAMEInfo explains it nicely:
MAMEInfo wrote:
The Japanese version has all 4 stages displayed in their original, logical order 1-2-3-4.
For the US version they changed it to match the 'How high can you try/get?' theme. With the stage order as follows :
L-01 : 1-4
L-02 : 1-3-4
L-03 : 1-2-3-4.
L-04 : 1-2-1-3-4
L-05 : 1-2-1-3-1-4
L-06 through L-21 all remain the same as L- 05
L-22 : 1 (Kill screen).
MAME associates the parent and clone ROMs by itself. You don't need to do anything other than add compatible ROM zips to the MAME ROMs folder then open the GUI and refresh the game list with F5.