Mame plus? Mame plus plus? plus plus plus plus?

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
SpecialK

Mame plus? Mame plus plus? plus plus plus plus?

Post by SpecialK » April 18th, 2014, 7:05 am

I am looking for the best MAME version to use, as I am sure you all are.

From the researching I have done V119 I think it is, will be the best. It has a ton of games and seems it was the last to offer online play. So I will be using it for the most part. But the problem obviously comes in with the games it doesn't play. I dont know what those games are and I wont be looking to find out unless I get one of them and have to fix the problem.

My question I now have about all this is how can I run more than one version within a front end. Is GameEX the only one that does this.

On top of that, what would the better operating system choice be. I use XP purely because I like the feel of it. Buy is it better to upgrade my OS. The system will be run in a cabinet and with a front end so at the end of the day the feel of the OS is null and void.

Thanks for the help.

P.S, just thought of one more. When using the online game play of V119, can I go online through the front end or will I have to exit it and set things up through the normal desktop.

Thanks again.

SpecialK

Re: Mame plus? Mame plus plus? plus plus plus plus?

Post by SpecialK » April 19th, 2014, 12:09 pm

My bad. Found the Frontend post.

So I'm good from that respect. I would still like to know about how the online play is managed, if it can be run through the frontend. Dam I will feel stupid if I missed that point as well.

On a side note, I went with MAME 32 Plus Plus 119.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » April 20th, 2014, 7:15 am

That is the version I use as well for online and for the Random Mame Videos I do. I am glad that you were able to find the answers.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » April 20th, 2014, 11:28 am

Yeah 119 works for most games and I use it the most. There are newer versions of MAME that you will need however to run games that were released to the MAME public more recently. An example would be one of my favourite bullet hell games Mushihimesama Futari.

I can't be certain in my answer to your cabinet question as I don't know about that stuff, but if I had to take a guess I would say you need to be in the desktop to be able to select the Kaillera (online) option and look for servers/input IP addresses, etc. Also, if you want to play online then the best experience is through P2P rather than using a server. To do this, either yourself or the friend you're playing with will need to configure their modem to have a static IP if it doesn't already (quick heads up, this can be a huge pain... just playing on servers is sometimes the best way to go).

Sometimes Kaillera will screw up and you need to restart MAME altogether for it to work, so that's something else to consider (I really don't know much about what you're doing as I just use MAME on my desktop computer). It's just that I can see quite a lot of keyboard access having to happen, mainly with typing in IP addresses and stuff like that, especially after having to restart Kaillera and do it again repeatedly.

Good luck with it.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » April 20th, 2014, 8:22 pm

Nostalgia wrote:Also, if you want to play online then the best experience is through P2P rather than using a server. To do this, either yourself or the friend you're playing with will need to configure their modem to have a static IP if it doesn't already (quick heads up, this can be a huge pain... just playing on servers is sometimes the best way to go).
Requiring a static IP only applies to particular modems. My modem, for example, does not need a static IP for port forwarding. Since my IP changes regularly, I just let the other player know what my current IP is.

Open Kaillera P2P - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=316
Hierophant wrote:Some routers require a static IP for port forwarding, which will be indicated on your router's page at PortForward.com. Here's the index page of Static IP guides for various OS:

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » April 20th, 2014, 8:59 pm

Ah my bad, good to know though!