YOUR recommended MAME version...

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
GoBlueMike21
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

YOUR recommended MAME version...

Post by GoBlueMike21 » February 1st, 2013, 10:04 am

and why.

I have read the thread here on which versions are around and what some of the advantages are but I am still confused on some things. I hope the mods can leave this here but if it gets merged I understand.

Ok, here we go:

When I see MAME32 mentioned, which seems to be popular, but is it still a good source?

When going to the MAMEdev page, I don't see 32 anywhere. I see UI, which seems to be the replacement, but then what are all the versions about? Is .148 the newest version of UI? Which used to be 32?

I think right now I'm using the .148u4, is that cool? Shoud I be concerned about a "u" version?

Basically, my thing is this....I want to be able to share this stuff with my kids. Old school 80s stuff that I grew up to some of the 1v1 fighting stuff from the mid 90s. I need to be able to have a version of MAME that will work with a frontend as this will be in a cab that the kids need to be able to navigate when I'm not home (God forbid the wife try to use it :Chainsaw: )

That said, what are the experts here using? Why? What would you recommend to me.

Thanks fellas. Keep up the good work.

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme
Favorite Game: KOF 96

Re: YOUR recommended MAME version...

Post by ChameleonAlpha » February 1st, 2013, 5:22 pm

I'm using MAME Plus. The interface is easy to use and all the games I have work perfectly (although NeoGeo games don't appear as "available" but they still work).
MAME32 has a good interface, so that's also a good choice.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » February 2nd, 2013, 8:38 am

http://www.kaillera.com/download.php

- Mame32 Plus Plus v0.119 (10.9Mb). <----- That one.

Why: Because it runs most if not all the games I play and also works online. P2P is amazing but you or the person you're playing with needs to port forward which can be a hassle.

Romnation is my source for most roms. They usually just work.

Now having said all of that, i'm a bit behind with the latest versions etc but this version works great for me and it's pretty much the only version i've used for the last few years.

GoBlueMike21
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by GoBlueMike21 » February 2nd, 2013, 9:35 am

Hey Nos, do you run a frontend or just use the GUI in Plus?

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

Post by jyarrison » February 2nd, 2013, 10:23 am

Hi GoBlueMike21. First off if you are using a 64 bit operating system, then you'll most definitely want to get mameui64. As the 64 bit version of mame will give you a performance boost over the 32 bit version. As far as what version/number of Mame, there are many different choices but I think it comes down to what games you want to play and what features you're looking for. When I started I went with the newest version of mame at that time which was ver .141. This was about two years ago. I just decided to switch to version .147u1 because there was a new game this version of mame plays that i wanted and also HLSL support. I changed my monitor from a CRT to an LCD and there was a big difference. On the new LCD the jagged edges of the graphics were enhanced and it looked terrible. But with the newer version of mame utilizing hlsl it looks really great. HLSL is just a method to emulate the CRT monitor look on an LCD display. I must admit I found someone else's settings on the net and copied them to my system but it does look pretty amazing. The setting even give the graphics that curvature look that the CRT had. My LCD flat screen actually looks like a curved CRT monitor now when I play mame.

Oh the u after the number is no big deal. It is really just a small update over the previous version. For example when mame.147 came out, something was broken in the code and Mortal Kombat would no longer work. Mame .147u1 ( version .147 update 1) fixed this issue and Mortal Kombat worked again.

Hope this helps a little. As long as it is working for you and the games you really want to play are working for you, then I would say you can't go wrong with whichever version you're using. :V:
JY

GoBlueMike21
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by GoBlueMike21 » February 2nd, 2013, 11:18 am

Good infor there J. I'm using XP, which I'm sure is 32 bit. The info on the LCD vs CRT thing is interesting. I was going to use an LCD to cut down on weight of the cab but haven't decided for sure yet. Thanks again for your input.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » February 2nd, 2013, 7:54 pm

GoBlueMike21 wrote:Hey Nos, do you run a frontend or just use the GUI in Plus?
Just the built-in GUI GoBlue mate.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » February 3rd, 2013, 12:46 am

GoBlueMike21 wrote:I have read the thread here on which versions are around and what some of the advantages are but I am still confused on some things. I hope the mods can leave this here but if it gets merged I understand.

Ok, here we go:

When I see MAME32 mentioned, which seems to be popular, but is it still a good source?
Yes, the standard GUI port of MAME has always been a good build. It's an especially good foundation for new users to easily run the games and start learning MAME's functions with minimal confusion. That's why I've recommended it in the MAME FAQs intro. Once enough proficiency has been gained from using MAMEUI it's up to the individual to decide if they want to move on to a more advanced GUI, like MAMEPlus!.
GoBlueMike21 wrote:When going to the MAMEdev page, I don't see 32 anywhere. I see UI, which seems to be the replacement, but then what are all the versions about? Is .148 the newest version of UI? Which used to be 32?
You won't find any user-friendly GUI type MAME builds at http://mamedev.org/. The MAMEDev site is for source code/command line binary MAME versions.

MAMEUI at http://www.mameui.info/ is the site for the standard GUI port of MAME. This build used to be called MAME32. When they also started making 64 bit versions from 0.126 onwards, the MAME32 name no longer fit so it was simply renamed to MAMEUI.

0.148 is the current version of MAME at the time of writing.
GoBlueMike21 wrote:I think right now I'm using the .148u4, is that cool? Shoud I be concerned about a "u" version?
Update, or "u", versions are a concern because they are development builds meant for bug testing and may incorporate unstable changes. Therefore, I encourage general users to stick with the official stable releases with no "u" in the version number to help avoid any unnecessary problems. I will use an update version if I'm keen to check out any particular games that got added or fixed during an update cycle. However, when the next official release comes around I'll move my stuff onto that and if everything still works I'll dump the update version.
GoBlueMike21 wrote:Basically, my thing is this....I want to be able to share this stuff with my kids. Old school 80s stuff that I grew up to some of the 1v1 fighting stuff from the mid 90s. I need to be able to have a version of MAME that will work with a frontend as this will be in a cab that the kids need to be able to navigate when I'm not home (God forbid the wife try to use it :Chainsaw: )
Staying fairly up to date suits my purposes as a MAME help guy since I'm getting asked all the time about things in current versions. It's not really necessary for someone who wants to stick a handpicked selection of games into a cab to play with their kids. All you need is one good build that plays all of the games you want and you'll be set for life. I don't use any front-ends like Hyperspin, etc, so I'm no help there, but there is a great overview of some of the most popular front-ends here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=501.
GoBlueMike21 wrote:That said, what are the experts here using? Why? What would you recommend to me.
Apart from MAMEUI, which I already covered, I'm also currently using:

MAMEPlus! - http://sourceforge.net/projects/mameplus/
This is my overall favourite build. I like MAMEPlus! because of extra features like hiscore.dat support, video blitters, etc. I don't recommend it for newbies, though. MAMEPlus! can be confusing for them to set up and use because of the way the folder structure is delivered and the different GUI layout. For example, there is no roms folder included and a bunch of other folders besides are also not there. This is no problem for proficient users, but it can confuse the hell out of newbies. Our goal here is to try not to make newbies anymore confused than they already are!

MAMEUIFX - http://mame32fx.altervista.org/home.htm
MAMEUIFX was my original favourite back when I was still in my own newb phase. It's not exactly a huge leap over MAMEUI, but it's just as user-friendly and does have hiscore.dat support. I stopped using MAMEUIFX for ages when MAMEPlus! took over the top spot on my arcade emulation speed dial. My interest in MAMEUIFX 0.148 did get piqued recently, though, when I saw the news that the author had decided to "ban the fruit" - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1897.

Mame32 Plus Plus v0.119 (10.9Mb) - http://www.kaillera.com/download.php
As Nos already pointed out, this is our build of choice for netplay. It's very handy for playing arcades with far away friends, especially when the standard Kaillera client has been swapped out for the superior P2P version (see here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=316 - for more info). The MAMEPlus! GUI has also been made to resemble MAME32. As mentioned in the MAME FAQs intro, I offer help here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=491 - for getting any games that should be working to work in that specific version. However, there's not really much point to Mame32 Plus Plus v0.119 in a cab unless an internet connection is going to be maintained.

Shmupmame - http://shmupmame.wordpress.com/download/
I only stumbled upon this build quite recently, but so far it looks promising. It's built off MAMEPlus!. As the author states in the Readme_shmupmame4.txt:

"The main goal of this fork is to remove the delay caused by frame/sprite buffer emulation in the various mame drivers, the result is that games respond faster by at least one frame. The downside is that the background layer will not be completely synced with the sprite layer. That being said, if you want the game to *feel* like it does in an arcade setting, the benefits of this build far outweights the slight visual downsides."

As the name suggests, this improved response time is mainly focused on shmup games. As with MAMEUIFX, this author has also gone to the trouble of "banning the fruit" in his build.

OK, GoBlueMike21, my recommendation to you for now would be to use MAMEUIFX 0.148 for the benefits of relative ease of setup and use, hiscore.dat support, and no more fruit and junk clogging up the games list.
GoBlueMike21 wrote:Thanks fellas. Keep up the good work.
Thank you for the great questions. :hello:

Starlord
Favorite Game: KOF 99

Post by Starlord » February 4th, 2013, 4:00 pm

I've always enjoyed MAME32/UI for most games. The reason I use this, it helps me understand associated romsets, and I occasionally make use of the associated properties and settings. I'm a PC user infront of a keyboard and mouse, and that is why MAMEUI is best for me.

I use MAME Plus to collect some of my favourite games together. I don't use it as much as MAMEUI, I just keep my best games bundled with MAME Plus.