How I automatically created my own MAME Attract Mode Videos

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Baraka

How I automatically created my own MAME Attract Mode Videos

Post by Baraka » November 25th, 2012, 11:11 pm

OK. Now that I have sunk a bit of cash into my MAME Arcade Cabinet, I wanted to find a way to automatically generate a set of MAME Attract mode videos by myself. Simply doing it one by one was not going to work for me, so......

Here are the steps that I took to create my own MAME attract videos (mostly) automatically. I take NO credit for what I am about to share because it was through the HELP OF OTHERS that I was able to make this work on my MAME Cabinet.

Here are the specs of my MAME PC.

Windows XP 64bit Professional SP2-- i3 3.3ghz-- 6Gigs Ram -- ArcadeVGA3000

I am running as of this post MAME.147u2 with the hiscore mod.

NOTE: If used as is, this script will generate 25 second Attract Mode AVI files for ALL working ROMS in your collection with audio (when present) in the attract mode. Some of the videos created will be garbage because of the fact that some ROMS need to be fired up once before they will function correctly. (i.e Robotron needs you to hit F3 before it will go to it's attract mode.) (Thanks Fossil from the 3Darcade site for pointing that out.) For these ROMS, and any others that I wanted to create by hand, I took the suggestion from Jibmums (another friend from the 3Darcade site) and used HyperCam2. HyperCam2 allows me to start recording the AVI at the precise moment compared to the script that just grabs video/audio at a set time.

The Script I used to create the videos scans your working/available ROMS, opens them one by one in MAME and records the first 50 seconds of the ROM running. It then drops off the first 25 seconds of recorded footage so that the video features the real "Meat and Potatoes" of the ROM. The resulting video is a 25 second AVI. (WARNING: This process can a few days if you have a lot of ROMS)

At first, I had trouble getting the script to work, so I want to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Jason who created the script and offered me support on getting it to work.

So lets get started shall we?

FIRST I suggest that you install the Klite Codec Pack found here http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm.
(I installed the Basic and 64bit versions.)

SECOND go over to the "MAME Arcade Machine Configurations" blog to find the script that I used. I am linking to his site because he is the author if this script and all credit is due to him.

http://dosmame.mameworld.info/index.php ... post&id=31

The instructions are built into the top of the script and are fairly easy to follow. They require you to go to another site and download/install the MPlayer/Mencoder software that is used to create the videos. (I used the Pentium 4 version) Once MPlayer/Mencoder is installed you just need to follow the rest of the instructions in the top part of the Script and you are off to the races! Once the script is running, you will see MAME opening and running a ROM, closing and reopening with a new ROM.

TAKE NOTE that if you have to close out the script for any reason, no worries! Once you run it again, it will scan the folder for any created AVI files and skip them basically starting off when you stopped it last. Cool huh?

Enjoy! :V:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: How I automatically created my own MAME Attract Mode Vid

Post by Hierophant » December 2nd, 2012, 8:23 pm

Thanks for the info, Baraka. Sounds like a nice alternative for people who don't wanna buy emumovies for their MAME front ends.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » December 2nd, 2012, 9:00 pm

Wow nicely done. I will check it out.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Baraka

Post by Baraka » December 2nd, 2012, 10:28 pm

Unfortunately the site that I linked is down at the moment due to Mameworld being offline. : ( If anyone needs the script in the meantime just message me.

:wacko:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » December 2nd, 2012, 10:40 pm

Lol yeah, I noticed that, too. It's normally just a matter of time before they get around to paying their annual hosting bill. :wistle:

charliepr

Post by charliepr » January 24th, 2013, 12:05 am

WoW Thanks a lot this is just what I needed to complete the PC part of my MAME Cab. Now my PC will be set and ready to go into the cab.Once more thank you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :goodpost:

charliepr

Post by charliepr » January 24th, 2013, 1:13 am

Tried it, but with no luck. The script opens mame.exe and the games run but no videos show up. :sad: :sad: