Golden Tee 2002

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
boisestate78
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Golden Tee 2002

Post by boisestate78 » February 7th, 2011, 6:01 am

So who decides when Roms become available? The difference between Golden tee 2000 and Golden tee 2002 is night and day, 2002 and up are amazing games. When do you think they will becom :cold: e available?

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Re: Golden Tee 2002

Post by Nostalgia » February 7th, 2011, 6:59 pm

There's no way of knowing when any games are going to be released to the public unless they make an announcement about it, and i'm fairly certain they only make these announcements at the actual time of release.

The MAME devs aren't in a rush to pump these games out whatsoever. They aren't paid for what they do but more importantly their main focus is to be 100% accurate with the emulation.

The MAME devs are only really concerned with preserving the technology behind these games so that they aren't forgotten and left in the past, never to be seen again. The fact that we can play these games has always and will always be simply a very nice bonus for us, despite what some people think.
If these games were purely emulated to be played and not to be 'preserved', then I imagine we would see a lot of copyright issues happening like you see with many popular console roms.

Having said that... As you know, many retail stores make a living from selling old copies of old consoles and games (SNES, N64, Dreamcast, etc), but how many do you see selling arcade machines? To simply forget about arcade classics would be a tragedy when it's not really costing anyone any money... Arcades usually have newer machines, not the old classics, so it's not like we are stealing their business or money from the game companies. If anything, we are helping to keep the reputations of these great companies alive and well.

One thing I will say is that most of the easy work has already been done, and if there's a game that you like that hasn't come out yet, then unfortunately it probably never will. Some games are incredibly complicated and difficult to emulate, and even then, some require outrageous PC specs. The same kind of specs which you need to run brand new, hardware-intensive PC games perfectly.

My PC is quite old and it runs the arcade rom of Tekken 3 like a slideshow. My solution for that? I got a Playstation emulator and it runs perfectly. So always remember to consider different versions, not just the arcade versions.

You might want to read this: http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/FAQ:Development

Sorry for writing an essay to answer your little question...

Cheers.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: MAME Dev whatsnew & WIP

Post by Hierophant » February 7th, 2011, 8:09 pm

:goodpost:

I love a good essay! :hello:

I can add that there are ways to keep abreast of what the MAME Devs are up to, for those who are interested:

1) Go to the official MAME site - http://mamedev.org - and read up on the latest whatsnew.txt files, eg. - http://mamedev.org/releases/whatsnew_0141.txt.

2) Check out the WIP pages of the various MAME Devs, eg. Haze's page - http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/. More Dev WIP pages are listed on MAMEWorld - http://mameworld.info/.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » February 7th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Ah thanks mate. I generally just wait for you to tell everyone about the new stuff since all my favourite games have already been taken care of hehehe. And yeah, also because I didn't know we could pay such close attention to what those guys are working on. Excellent.

Atarix777
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Atarix777 » February 11th, 2011, 2:51 am

@Nostalgia - A real excelent and interesting Post mate, it was a pleasure to read that :hello:

As you know, I started just about one year ago (thx to you and Hierophant) to use- and to know about the whole Idea behind MAME and I think its a real fantastic project that needs our full support. I know my self quite good how it is to invest time and money into projects and dreams. The most of times it didn't worked out as I wished that it would, but from time to time I was able to get something to run as planed - and that are the best moments ever. However, these guy's did a great job and we all have to be thankfull for their work and effort.

@Hierophant - Thx for the links! Now that I slowly start to become more and more interested into the whole Idea behind Mame I'll dev. will take a look on their pages, too... :hello:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » February 11th, 2011, 3:05 am

Thanks Atarix, you're a huge mate :hello:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » February 11th, 2011, 3:15 am

Yeah, the MAME project still amazes me. It started back in 1997 and they're still coming out with some great stuff, especially lately with all those cool shmups.

:woot:

Atarix777
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Atarix777 » February 11th, 2011, 3:18 am

@Nostalgia: I guess u know that I think the same about you guys, too!

Even if I lost a bit to belife into real friendships over the internet in the youngest past, it still seems to be possible...

But hey, thats quite :offtopic: (typical for me) ^^. Better to close this post with the slogan "MAME creates friendships", to save the situation, hehehe...

@Hierophant:
I am not the biggest shooter fan, but to play them from time to time can be really impressive.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » February 11th, 2011, 3:27 am

I'll never forget back in like 2005 when I was a noob and trying to get Mame working, having trouble with it (this is why I am so nice and patient with noobs who post in the forums for help) but eventually getting Mortal Kombat 2 or something working.

Oh, my, god.

I used to pump so much money into these machines back in the day, and the SNES versions etc were never the same. Obviously Neo Geo had arcade perfect stuff, but I never played those consoles then. So it was really great getting these games working, but even better (which was hard to get my head around at the time) was I could play almost ANY of these arcade games at home.

And that's what makes it all worth it.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » February 11th, 2011, 3:29 am

I've been a shooter fan since, oh... Space Invaders. I can even still have fun playing that old classic. :link: