MameAddicts 2.0 80% done, but back in business

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

MameAddicts 2.0 80% done, but back in business

Post by Incito » November 18th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Here is what is done:
Updated php and forum.
Set up easy to subscribe RSS feeds. All you go to do is click on that RSS icon within the site or URL bar.
Created new images and edited theme.

So what's left?
The home page is going to be a flash based arcade controller that will have all the links like the forum, MA youtube channel, MAME FAQs, links and so on. Plus I wil put the link on here first. The arcade controller may take some time to set up as I have now three jobs. :ohmy:

SO Chris, why the change?
The phpbb has needed the update for some time now, and plus I just got tired of the black look. I hope everyone else is as excited as I am about having a more colorful site. I may decide to change the above logo later, but for now I am going to leave it and work on code for the links on the forum. I will get the chat up again, so hang in there. Oh and posting features too.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: MameAddicts 2.0 80% done, but back in business

Post by Hierophant » November 19th, 2010, 8:20 am

I'm really happy with how things are going. While this forum style is more standard, it also seems more pro after all that time on the black pearl set.

Can't wait to see what you got left in your 20%. :woot:

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » November 19th, 2010, 9:53 am

Hierophant wrote:I'm really happy with how things are going. While this forum style is more standard, it also seems more pro after all that time on the black pearl set.

Can't wait to see what you got left in your 20%. :woot:
Thanks! I want to do away with the black background and white text. Another goal of my was allowing rss feeds on certain forums, and make it easy for anyone to subscribe. I also wanted easier to find navigation and forum controls. I had new members in mind for that. You will notice the buttons are larger and easier to find.

It wasn't easy saying the current database with all of are members and messages and updating the forum phpbb. In fact, I had to do an entirely new install of the forum cause I waited too long to upgrade. There were no conversion pack for my old version. Then getting the existing base to work with it was the hard part. I was a sql freak. I not to keen on sql either, so there was a lot of figuring out stuff.

I plan on making a actual Home page that will be a big arcade controller will all the links.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » November 19th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Glad you sent a private my link was not working nor was try here link on the old main page.

Looks nice man. Good Job!
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » November 19th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Well, I have the flash base arcade controller on the home page now. More will be added to the home page later.
What do you al lthink? Go to mameaddicts.com, not mameaddicts.com/forum.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 20th, 2010, 3:35 am

Might be wise to send out a group mail to let all members know that they need to update their bookmarks. :wink:

The control panel looks mad! Cool idea to have the MA ball as the trackball. Flame girl looks hot, huh hurh. :hehe:

The only things I would suggest are, 1) the white glow on the inside left and top edges don't do justice to how high res and 3D looking the rest of it is, 2) there appear to be some misplaced gfx on the right hand end of the first thin horizontal line directly below the CP.

Ah, I just found the one thing that I thought was missing from before, the "View new posts" etc. links up there under "Options". :smile:

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » November 20th, 2010, 9:57 am

yeah I will send a mass email again.

? white glow ? :confused:

I will admit I am no photoshop wizard.

Which reminds me, Hiero, you want to make the logo up top. The with can be up too 1000px but hieght needs to be no more than 122px. I know thats a bugger, but I like the mamfas logo and I think you can do something cool like that and add your fatboy arcade in too if you want?

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » November 20th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Hierophant wrote:Might be wise to send out a group mail to let all members know that they need to update their bookmarks. :wink:

The control panel looks mad! Cool idea to have the MA ball as the trackball. Flame girl looks hot, huh hurh. :hehe:

The only things I would suggest are, 1) the white glow on the inside left and top edges don't do justice to how high res and 3D looking the rest of it is, 2) there appear to be some misplaced gfx on the right hand end of the first thin horizontal line directly below the CP.

Ah, I just found the one thing that I thought was missing from before, the "View new posts" etc. links up there under "Options". :smile:

So this applies to the home page game controller, or the forum logo?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 21st, 2010, 3:37 am

I marked it out here:

That white glow doesn't sit well. It destroys the illusion of plastic that's happening in the rest of the design. Oh, and see how there are some nice drop shadows appearing below some of the buttons? The trackball plate could use a little drop shadow to anchor it, too, because it seems like it's trying to float away.

For the forum banner, I actually thought the first one you had with the silver metallic look really suited the current board style. That was pro! I mean, it was like saying, "Hey guys, this is MameAddicts. You know why you're here so we don't need any dinky little pictures in our banner to remind you."

Can we have that one back again, please? :smile:

gratzme
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by gratzme » December 2nd, 2010, 4:17 pm

Ahhh Loads better without the black back ground and white text! I could not read it for long as used to give me a head ache. This colour scheme is much better.

Great improvements so far!