So I heard this story from this forum.

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Aleks55
Mame Addict
Mame Addict
Favorite Game: Earthworm Jim

So I heard this story from this forum.

Post by Aleks55 » March 8th, 2010, 11:27 pm

"A mother in Tennessee is claiming that her daughter fatally shot herself in the stomach with a handgun she mistakenly believed to a Wii controller. At least, that's her only explanation for what could have happened.

The gun was left lying around by the victim's stepfather, who claims he produced the .380 caliber pistol to deal with a potential prowler, then left it on a table and promptly forgot all about it. Even more astoundingly, the mother was in the same room as the three-year-old girl when she picked the gun up and managed to shoot herself with it.

This story is all kinds of f*cked up. A man leaving a gun -- safety off -- in easy reach of a three-year-old, and a mother who is in the same room as a kid playing with the deadly weapon and somehow not noticing. That's before we even get into the fanciful notion of a child, however young, somehow confusing a gun with a controller."

Quote frome OANST of the oddworld forums.

Well lets discuss this horrible story.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Re: So I heard this story from this forum.

Post by Nostalgia » March 9th, 2010, 4:20 am

Tragic.

Not the first time something like this has happened and probably won't be the last.

I'm always a very careful person with everything I do, which sucks sometimes (ignorance is bliss), but on the other hand I doubt I would ever leave a loaded gun out where a kid could find it.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » March 9th, 2010, 5:58 pm

See a picture of why a 3 year old could not tell the difference between a wii remote and the real thing.

http://kotaku.com/5489137/wii-gun-invol ... y-lifelike

I put the blame solely on the parents. Under no circumstances should you ever leave a loaded weapon laying around where any child can get to it. I grew up in an environment where guns were an every day occurrence. My Father was a police officer for more than 20 years. I was taught at a very early age what a real gun was and the damage that it could do. While I understand it's hard to press that point home to a 3 year old it still falls on the parents protect their children. Never leave a weapon of any kind within the reach of someone so young. It's a sad fact in America we have so many irresponsible adults that know nothing of how to protect a child. I am sure either the Wii, the Gun itself, or the Chinese manufacture will get the blame instead of where it solely deserves to be placed. With the parents!
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Aleks55
Mame Addict
Mame Addict
Favorite Game: Earthworm Jim

Post by Aleks55 » March 9th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Well I took a look at that picture and I have to ask.....why would you make a toy fro the Wii look like an actual real life gun!!!! What the hell is wrong with you!?

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » March 13th, 2010, 5:28 am

^ I have to agree. A game controller modelled on a REAL gun...

A bad idea overall, but that hasn't stopped game controller companies from making such controllers for about as long as video games have existed.

And some awesome games have came out of it! (T2, Lethal Enforcers, Point Blank, Time Crisis, Virtua Cop, etc)

I prefer using a mouse to aim/shoot/etc in video games, but nothing is COOLER than using a real gun look-a-alike!!!

The bottom line is that the parent(s) made a mistake, a mistake similar to dropping a child who can't swim into the family pool and walking back to the bbq. You can't just blame video games for something like this.