Recommended Games Discussion

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Re: Recommended Games Discussion

Post by eliaskeme » August 5th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Sorry if I havent added any reviews recenlty. It is the fact that I started pre-school lessons because this is my final year at school. I will post another WWF game soon, though so get ready for the show of shows, the WRESTLEMANIA !!!

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » August 6th, 2009, 2:33 am

No worries elias, you work hard on your contributions and deserve a break whenever you feel like it.
:SM:

I just added Alien3: The Gun, so check out this great game. Unfortunately at this time the Index is full (max URL limit) and I can't add any more entries to it. Chris and I are trying to figure out some solutions.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Post by eliaskeme » August 6th, 2009, 5:10 am

That's really bad. Nice work with Alien3: The Gun by the way. Anyway should I keep the "Jump to Index" in my posts ??

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » August 6th, 2009, 11:51 am

Yes, I bumped it up to 100 links now.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » August 7th, 2009, 12:57 am

Yes that fixed it for now. Thanks, Chris. :bow:

I'm thinking though that at some stage down the line the Index is gonna grow to such ridiculous proportions that it would become preferable to split it off into it's own area. I could make it so that there is an initial post with the alphabet. Each letter would then link to it's own post containing the further links to that letter's games. That way instead of ending up with one humongous Index post it would hopefully be more user-friendly for readers.

Guys, lemme know what you think because the longer I leave it the more work it's gonna make in the long run to re-establish all the cross-referencing links for what's already there.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » August 7th, 2009, 11:49 am

Yes, that is a good idea!
A separate thread for each letter and one for the index?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » August 8th, 2009, 12:57 am

Yeah, although I'm thinking it would be better to keep the whole Index in one locked thread, not a separate thread for each letter if you know what I mean. For example, the first post in the Index thread would just have the letters:

0-9, A, B, C... etc.

Each letter would then link to it's own separate post within the thread containing the Game Index for that letter:

A

Alien3: The Gun
Alien vs. Predator

...and so on.

Then each Indexed Game links to it's full entry in the Recommended Games main thread.

I'm also looking into the possibility of splitting down certain letters, like 'S' for example, to avoid massive amounts of list scrolling sometime in the future. What I mean is instead of just 'S' it might be better to split it and others like it down into 2 or more parts, something like this:

S-Sm, So-Sy

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » August 8th, 2009, 1:21 am

That sounds pretty good Hiero, but only if you think that such a huge amount of games will become 'recommended' games, or maybe the index could just be a list for game reviews in general, and let the readers know that the ones highlighted in red (or whatever colour) are 'recommended' games.

It wouldn't bother me if people started to doing reviews of games that they know are terrible or average and whatever else, but those games don't really belong in the 'recommended' games thread if you know what I mean.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » August 8th, 2009, 1:36 am

Good point, Nos. It sounds crazy I know, but I'm trying to think hypothetically to avoid the future possibility of a gigantic administrative stuff-up on my part.

You're right though. 'Recommended' is definitely the operative word here. If someone starts 'recommending' Pit Fighter or whatever it kind of defeats the purpose and original intent of the main thread. I would laugh at them scornfully for being foolish enough to even consider it in the first place.
:hehe:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » August 8th, 2009, 4:27 am

You know what, Nos, you've given me a different idea to make some kinda worst games ever thread in Just for Fun. Then if any dork did try to put Pit Fighter or suchlike in Recommended Games, instead of deleting it I can simply transfer it over to the bad games dumping ground and the joke would be on them.
:tongue: