Re: Seraph's Top 100 Arcade Games List Discussion

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » August 23rd, 2016, 5:51 pm

Going through list as I hunt for best game versions of each series. Seriously contemplating Spy Hunter to replace Asteroids. Some of you may say do what now? But I want that top 10 Classic game list to lead to the end of 83 with Galaga, which was the Golden Age at its sharp peak. Now I'm thinking I would play all those games listed but I would likely want to play Spy Hunter more if I was in the mood of a Classic title. Also thought Star Wars, Tempest, and Tron could fill in those shoes. Thoughts?
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » August 23rd, 2016, 6:10 pm

The original Star Wars should certainly be on the list IMHO...
Ooer... No pictures...

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » August 23rd, 2016, 7:22 pm

Yeah Panther think so too. For Asteroids. What would your Top 10 look like Panther for the classics up to end of 83?
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » August 23rd, 2016, 10:40 pm

One thing I wonder about, Seraph, is how some of the selected games apply to MAME? There are a few in the list that are either in the fairly preliminary stages of emulation, or not yet emulated at all; or is that irrelevant since it's Top 100 'Arcades'?

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » August 23rd, 2016, 10:51 pm

I do not mind if the game is still in progress with MAME development. I have not played Tekken Tag Tournament on MAME but if it was still in development it would still make the cut. I did want a side list for games after 1999 and put those in honorable mentions. The sode list would show what would be dropped for the newer titles that made it. Makes sense? Basically aside for the Golden Age games which I cut off after the end of 83 to allow Galaga or possibly Gyruss for instance that Top 10 is the only one with restrictions.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » August 23rd, 2016, 10:54 pm

I would be happy to either learn a new game to swap out with another or to reconsider a game that should be looked at above another. Hiero, I'd especially like to see what your list would look like and some of the other MAME Addicts leaders. I do know you guys favor Neo Geo and I could consider more of those titles. It's been a whole since I've played many of the titles I may not have considered much. I have likely played anything that mattered though.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » August 23rd, 2016, 10:56 pm

I was also trying to give the list some variety. If I cut off some other genres I may have ended with 30 beat em ups haha.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » August 24th, 2016, 12:30 am

I think my top ten classics would probably be...

Code: Select all

Space Invaders
Pac Man
Star Wars
Asteroids
Pole Position
Scramble
Galaxian
Frogger
Missile Command
Defender
The thing is everyone will have a different list dependant on age and what they may have played, I was born in 1972 so my earliest memories of the arcade was when Space Invaders came out and was the new big thing...
Ooer... No pictures...

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » August 24th, 2016, 8:13 am

Wow, Panther I completely forgot about Scramble. That was a great game for the time and still think it has replay even more to me than Asteroids. That is a very underrated game. Galaga for Galaxian and our lists are similar. Just prefer Donkey Kong Mario Bros. And Pong more. Part of the reason may be because I have a twin and we liked 2 player games or games we could be competitive. Also, being born in early 83 made a difference.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » August 24th, 2016, 9:01 am

While I keep looking at different game versions for each title I think I'm going to reevaluate the 20 Beat Em Ups next.