Next Gen Gaming... You Interested?

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
BackForwardPunch
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Re: Next Gen Gaming... You Interested?

Post by BackForwardPunch » December 30th, 2013, 2:19 pm

While I agree graphics are definitely not the most important, something like NES, SNES etc is not 3D based visuals. I feel like 3d has ONLY gotten better, rather than 2d changing styles as it goes. Having framerates above 30FPS, which is generally what you are getting on consoles, (this gen looks like it MIGHT be 60, but so far not all games are running that), and having smoother textures can only be a good thing in 3d games.
But putting that aside, it's definitely about gameplay. There's not much more to say for either, with the exception of console exclusives, you can have a very similar experience on PC, but you may have to tweak some settings or set up a controller. Otherwise I don't really see a benefit to consoles, at least for multiplats.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Next Gen Gaming... You Interested?

Post by Hierophant » December 31st, 2013, 7:46 pm

Letting you know how I'm finding the difficulty in Super Mario 3D World after the first couple of play sessions, BFP. So far, it doesn't seem as difficult as New Super Mario Bros. U. I got up to World 4 without too much trouble. That's not to say it's been a total cakewalk, though. The difficulty has been steadily increasing, just more gently than in NSMBU.

However, there is another aspect to the difficulty in SM3W. There are optional challenges and some of them are very hard. For example, there are three stars to collect in each stage and they may be quite well hidden or super hard to obtain even if you do know their location. At certain points in the game you must meet a minimum requirement of stars to progress. You can always go back and try for any that you missed if you have a shortfall. I'm also reminded of the reward for collecting all 120 stars in Super Mario 64, so at some point I'll likely be going back to try and get them all in SM3W.

So, from what I've seen thus far, I would say that the difficulty in SM3W is split nicely between allowing reasonable progression for youngsters and casuals, while still offering plenty of good challenges on the side for hardcore Mario players.

Apart from all that, SM3W is an incredibly fun game. The audiovisuals are extremely charming and there is so much variety in the gameplay. If I didn't already own a Wii U, I probably would've bought one on the strength of SM3W alone and still be rejoicing triumphantly over this awesome game!

:mario: