Next Gen Gaming... You Interested?

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
BackForwardPunch
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Next Gen Gaming... You Interested?

Post by BackForwardPunch » December 17th, 2013, 10:32 am

Hey, just wondering what you guys think about this next generation of consoles. Personally, modern gaming has gotten pretty boring to me and I really don't see myself picking up the XBONE or PS4 barring some crazy circumstances. I'll break it down a bit to let you guys know my thoughts, and I'm interested to see what you guys think about it.

XBONE:
Let's ignore the PR disasters and just talk about the system as it is now. They are bundling a kinect with every system. I'm not sure what kind of market research they did to decide that ANYONE wants one, but it really doesn't interest me at all. They are really pushing their integration to live TV and other multimedia functions. Maybe it's because living in a pretty small apartment in NYC I don't have a living room, but I use my computer for all my TV and online video watching, and I don't see how having a less capable machine to do it clumsily would help me out.

PS4:
I have less objections to the PS4 theoretically, but the concerns I do have with it also apply to the XBONE. Modern Gaming as a whole hasn't held much interest with me for a long time. I do play some first person shooters, but it's been a long time that I've much preferred PC controls for those games. Then there are 3rd person action games, like Dead Space, Uncharted, Last of Us, GTA, etc. I've never really been a big fan of these kinds of games, but I think that's more of a personal preference thing. I can acknowledge that these are all well made games, but I get pretty easily bored playing through one of these games. There's a lot more hand-holding in modern gaming, and I really prefer a challenge when playing a single player action game. To be honest, I haven't played games like this since even PS2 days. The thing is, these 2 genres are far an away the most popular on modern consoles, so it makes it a hard sell for me. May want to mention I don't have a 360 or PS3 anymore for the same reasons.

WiiU:
The WiiU is the closest contender for something I MIGHT pick up before this generation is over. Nintendo makes games that look a bit more interesting to me, and while they seem to cater to younger gamers, at least they stick with some of the core gameplay elements from past games, like Mario 64, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong, Zelda etc. In my experience though, the challenge is waaay down on these newer games. I'd like to hear from Hierophant (and anyone else who own a WiiU) about this. Is there a challenge playing the new WiiU titles?

So those are my fairly long winded thought on the modern gaming era. What do you guys think? Are you going next gen? (Or have you already done it?)

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Re: Next Gen Gaming... You Interested?

Post by Nostalgia » December 17th, 2013, 11:20 am

I recently sold my 360 and PS3 (also I still have an old spare 360 i'm trying to sell) because the PC covers my needs.

Half the time I just use emulators like MAME and zsnes. I hate the hand-holding among other things in newer games and for some reason or another I'm really stuck in the past with the games I like. Particularly with fighting games which is one of my favourite genres. I have Mortal Kombat 9 and SSF4:AE on Steam but hardly play them (got into MK9 a bit but PC scene was pretty dead).

In terms of graphics well if you want the best graphics then upgrade your PC. That's my 2c.

In terms of exclusives, nothing really pulls me in anymore. While owning my PS2 and PS3 I never played a God of War game (got a PS2 emulator to the play the first two GoW games), and I really don't like Halo games either.

I played through some decent PS3 games like The Last Of Us and Demon's Souls but it wasn't enough to make me keep the console.

The only new game I'm looking forward to is Dark Souls 2 which is gonna be on PC and isn't out on any system until March 2014.

So you can see I tried, I bought a lot of games for 360 and ps3 that I didn't mention but PC is enough to keep me occupied. I'd rather just put money aside for that in case something stops working or needs upgrading. Plus I love with my computer how I can just switch between youtube etc and back to the game with ease. I don't sit at a computer desk anymore, it's all set up in front of my couch and big TV with my ESP guitar and it rocks.
Gotta be comfy, and that's something consoles have in mind but PC is forever the master race!

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » December 17th, 2013, 12:35 pm

I will get a PS4 eventually, I've had the other 3 but the XBOX One doesn't interest me, I've got a 360 but it has forgotten what electricity is, it's been so long since it was switched on... I totally don't buy into the whole "with XBOX One you can watch TV on your TV" imagine that..! The PS4 will be another multimedia centre and blu ray player that I can play the odd game on, and I will upgrade when the launch bugs have been worked out of it... If I lived on my own then I would be set up the same way as Nos, with my PC on the big TV screen, but having a family it makes more sense to keep my PC away from interfering little hands on it's desk... :hehe:
Ooer... No pictures...

BackForwardPunch
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by BackForwardPunch » December 17th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Yeah, so I guess it's not just me... Maybe it's age? Are these systems even made for us, or are they for the younger generation. PC is far and away my choice for gaming, just because I have a lot more control over everything and it can do ten million other things infinitely better than the console. Just sort of interesting to me on every console launch how much less and less interested or excited I get. Last one I was excited fro was PS2, and when I actually played it, I wasn't that blown away by it, I basically only bought ports of 2d fighters like I had back on Dreamcast.
Dunno, just kinda lame to me that gaming graphically moved forward, but basically went no where as far as innovation and interesting gameplay.

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » December 17th, 2013, 9:26 pm

There's a great advantage a console has over a PC and that's why I like consoles better.
When you have an average PC you never know if the next game that comes out is going to run on your PC, but on consoles you never have that problem, you know that any game you play is going to run smoothly. For the price of a console you cannot buy a high end computer... But off course, if you have enough money and you don't mind about exclusive games, a PC is better for you than a console.
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » December 18th, 2013, 5:26 am

BackForwardPunch wrote:
WiiU:
The WiiU is the closest contender for something I MIGHT pick up before this generation is over. Nintendo makes games that look a bit more interesting to me, and while they seem to cater to younger gamers, at least they stick with some of the core gameplay elements from past games, like Mario 64, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong, Zelda etc. In my experience though, the challenge is waaay down on these newer games. I'd like to hear from Hierophant (and anyone else who own a WiiU) about this. Is there a challenge playing the new WiiU titles?
I'll put it this way, BFP: I've probably died as many times playing New Super Mario Bros. U as I have playing Dark Souls. While Dark Souls is notoriously difficult, I have beaten it. However, I've yet to beat New Super Mario Bros. U. Obviously, having an adorable exterior doesn't mean it's kid's stuff. The gameplay is as hardcore as ever from what I've experienced. New Super Mario Bros. U and Dark Souls may seem like strange bedfellows, but they both give me similar feelings of despair and elation in the gameplay department.

The difficulty in New Super Mario Bros. U is really well designed. The first stage of World 1 is so easy that a small child should be able to handle it. It's great for getting the hang of the controls and soaking in the beauty of the HD Mario graphics. By World 2, though, the difficulty starts kicking in. From then on, I've died pretty much constantly while trying to progress. I feel I'm getting close to the end, but for the time being the stage I'm stuck on now seems ridiculously hard.

Super Mario 3D World looks like an ideal Christmas present to give myself. I'll let you know what the challenge is like in that one.

BackForwardPunch
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by BackForwardPunch » December 18th, 2013, 10:29 am

@starlingmax I'll agree that the entry price for a PC is higher than a console, but it does last quite a while if you get a good build and it has the added benefit of you being able to use it for all the rest of the things you'd want a computer for. Just out of curiosity, what kind of games do you play?

@Hierophant I am definitely interested in trying those games out. I'm glad to hear they aren't skimping on challenge on the newer games. I'll probably pick up a Wii U on the next big price drop.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » December 19th, 2013, 8:06 am

BackForwardPunch wrote:@starlingmax I'll agree that the entry price for a PC is higher than a console, but it does last quite a while if you get a good build and it has the added benefit of you being able to use it for all the rest of the things you'd want a computer for.
Lets not forget that you can upgrade them too. Consoles, you're stuck with the hardware.

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme
Favorite Game: KOF 96

Post by ChameleonAlpha » December 20th, 2013, 6:22 am

I think consoles are the best for playing those fancy new games. However, for overall gaming, I prefer a PC (emulators are a gift from the Heavens).

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » December 21st, 2013, 3:18 am

@BFP, I play any kind of games as long as they are challenging and fun to play. For example, I've been playing the crysis series and I found it to be extremely boring... On the other hand I started playing Half Life 2 and this far I can say it is the best FPS I've ever played, the major difference between the two is that HL2 has clever level design and puzzle solving... Crysis is so straightforward that even a 5 years old kid can beat it, when games are not challenging is not fun anymore... That's one of the reasons why I hated Diablo 3 so much, I even dropped it.
Incito wrote: Lets not forget that you can upgrade them too. Consoles, you're stuck with the hardware.
The fact is that you are really not stuck with the hardware because you know that any single game that comes out is going to run smoothly on your console, yeah sure, the graphics are not going to be so flashy as the ones on the PC version of the game but I'm the kind of person who can play NES games even to this day (I think we all are in this forum) so, I'm not really interested in getting the best on the graphics department...
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...