PS4 / XBox One fail - Your thoughts

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

PS4 / XBox One fail - Your thoughts

Post by Incito » November 28th, 2013, 9:54 am

Any real gamer worth his/her salt knows one thing for sure. Never buy a nex gen on launch day. Wait for the early adopters to find all the bugs for you and let them keep the anger and frustration that goes with it. I will say my heart does go out to these brave few. If not for them, I would not be able to by a running system.

Now I am not sure if this is some sort of mud slinging campaign from Microsoft or not. But it looks like the compulation made below seems to be from legit Gamers.

Warning! As might be expected, some strong language in this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... FwlK-jU8Yg

Then failure already has a name, "The blue light of Death".

Now Sony and some other sources are saying that the Failure rate is < 1%. Not sure what to believe since this is damage control. I do like my PS3 a lot and I do realize that Sony get it right and fix this issues.

http://kotaku.com/ps4-failure-rate-is-l ... 1467673544
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/20/51252 ... -1-percent

You thoughts?????

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme
Favorite Game: KOF 96

Re: PS4 fail - Your thoughts

Post by ChameleonAlpha » November 28th, 2013, 10:55 am

It's not very wise to buy stuff as soon as it comes out, but I'm pretty sure that these factory broken PS4's will get replaced or refunded.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » November 28th, 2013, 1:11 pm

There have been just as many xbox one fails, just the way things are these days...
Ooer... No pictures...

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » November 28th, 2013, 2:21 pm

It's the same with every new system...

If I had to buy one I would go for a PS4... I think sony is better than microsoft at making new hardware, just remember the last generation.
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » November 28th, 2013, 9:22 pm

I hope I don't start a "fan boy" war here, but I too and a Sony guy. I remember PS3 having very little trouble when it launched. I still waited till the Slim came out, cause I knew from the PS2 that it was bound to happen.

I am a Sony fan Myself. Mostly cause the hardware does prove to be superior in the end. If I had to be really critical, I would say the only system that Microsoft had a good foothold with was the Regular XBox. It could compete with the PS2 and it did have far better online gaming.

Can't say the same for the 360 and its red rings though.

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » November 29th, 2013, 12:46 am

Is not about being a fanboy, I have an Xbox 360 myself, but facts are facts, and the Xbox 360 at launch was a disaster... I think we all remember the RRD and the scratched discs... That's why I bought mine just 2 years ago, the Elite edition... I don't see the point in buying consoles on launch dates, you are like a guinea pig!
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » November 29th, 2013, 1:42 am

No wars mate, I have an XBox and a PS3, I was just highlighting the fact that these days electronic gizmo's are flakey at best on release...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » November 29th, 2013, 4:29 am

Wow, it sounds like there's a guy mowing the lawn inside some of those new machines.

Apart from NES, I've bought every Nintendo main home console right at launch, from SNES, to N64, to GameCube, to Wii, to Wii U. I've never had a single major hardware issue with any of them. It was unwise of me to apply the same expectation to PS2. My launch model of that system always had trouble running games properly. Trading it in for a slim PS2 some years later sorted that out, though.

Thanks to being hooked on arcades as a youngster, I was a bit of a latecomer to the original NES. I eventually caught on when I saw some mates playing Mario at home. Back in 1994, I also bought the redesigned NES Top Loader with the dogbone controller. It looks so cool to have it sitting next to the SNES, like a little brother.

The place I was renting at the time had a leaky roof, but I didn't know it until there was a really heavy thunderstorm one night. I woke in the small hours to the sight of blue sparks shooting out of my TV set. My NES Top Loader happened to be in a bad spot, too. Water was pouring directly into the top opening and pooling inside. The TV went in for repairs at the landlord's expense, but still died a few years down the track. The NES Top Loader was left to air out for a few days. To my utter amazement, it worked fine after that, and still does to this day.

How's that for durability? Almost 20 years after being virtually dunked in water, it's running Metroid as I type these words. What a great little grey box of wonderment!

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » November 29th, 2013, 11:53 am

I feel the secret is to not have moving parts like hard drives and CD/DVD Roms.
Older consoles where much like arcade machines. After all, the technology around it was based off the bigger arcades. Hell, arcade machines where the first to introduce a cartridge like system to cut cost on using raw materials for building cabs. I was just a matter of swapping cart and marquee, and whala!

So systems like the NES are just chips. Other the worrying about an electrical short (usually due to it still being wet), letting it dry out was all you needed to do for it run. Can't do that with these systems now a days.

Good example is me repeatedly forgetting to take my USB drive out of my pocket before I throw in the washer / Dryer.
Done it 3 times (Yes 3 :blush: ) and still works.

Plus, these engineers really have some serious heat on deadlines. So add moving parts to a rushed engineer and splinkle not so good QA and you too can build a next gen system.

I can't help to notice all the "Steam" consoles on dormant right now? I hope all of these system devs are learning from Big Brothers' mistakes.

So as not to play favorites, I edited the title too. I want Sony and Microsoft fans to feel like they are talk here.

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme
Favorite Game: KOF 96

Re: PS4 / XBox One fail - Your thoughts

Post by ChameleonAlpha » November 29th, 2013, 8:38 pm

I'm sure this is all a stunt to advertise Predator: Concrete Jungle 2.