MAME Licensing Issue? No downloads!!!

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

MAME Licensing Issue? No downloads!!!

Post by jyarrison » October 28th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Not sure if everyone is aware of the licensing problems going on with MAME, but it is something for concern for sure. I am not perfectly clear on what is actually going on but I have been reading a few of the blogs by MAME devs. Currently all downloads from the official site are disabled! :ohmy: Yes, there are plenty of other sources currently to pick up various versions of MAME but not to be able to download the source from the official site is something that has not happened in a very long time.

Here is a link to dev David Haywood's blog. http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/

On a personal pity party, future development seems to be on hold until this licensing issue gets worked out. I am a huge fan of Golden Tee and as of MAME .149u1, Golden Tee Fore! had been added. It is not working yet but it is at least showing up in MAME and I read that the devs had made some progress on that arcade hardware. I have been waiting for this game for years and now it seems to be getting closer but no!!!! Oh well, I will just wait longer. :arg:
JY

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: MAME Licensing Issue? No downloads!!!

Post by PantherUK » October 28th, 2013, 7:41 pm

That makes for possibly grim reading, I just had a scan through and if this ends up worst case scenario, I'm glad I updated my MAME and romsets to 149 last month, it all works and I guess I'll be leaving it that way... Some one will always try to cash in on a free good thing, way of the world I'm afraid...
Interesting post JY thanks mate... I'm still hoping one day there will be a compiled version with 3D gfx card support, but I won't hold my breath...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: MAME Licensing Issue? No downloads!!!

Post by Hierophant » October 28th, 2013, 8:23 pm

I've been keeping up on the MAME licencing topic, too. There's more to the story here:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... =5&o=&vc=1

Having read through that as well, I wouldn't push the panic button just yet. My feeling is that MAME is in good hands. The fact that the main devs are attempting to sort out the vagaries of the current licence should be a positive sign for the future.