Rest in peace my dear arcade

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme
Favorite Game: KOF 96

Re: Rest in peace my dear arcade

Post by ChameleonAlpha » August 8th, 2013, 9:22 pm

I remember that last year, I beat Metal Slug and Street Fighter 2 (without losing rounds) for the first time ever there before it closed in november.
Oh, and don't be so sure. Younger generations love them arcades. I tell ya' boy, the thrill that putting that quarter in and pressing start causes will never die. It's like gambling, but based on actual skill (and a little bit of luck).

ebarlow99

Post by ebarlow99 » August 9th, 2013, 10:20 am

yeah it sucks to see.. the kids nowadays don't have a clue what a real arcade was! those were the days......

:sad:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » August 9th, 2013, 6:40 pm

I used to be so obsessed with my two local arcades that I even worked at one of them (just when they needed a hand from time to time behind the counter etc) when I was like 15. They usually paid me in lots of machine credits which worked in my favour because that's all I spent my money on anyway.

This arcade was better than the other one because it had all the blood on Mortal Kombat and stuff like that. Everyone knew everyone and we all basically lived there so we were all pretty damn good at games like Tekken 2, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct, etc. I spent almost all my free time there... After school, school holidays, you name it.

When we wanted to own casual gamers and have little crowds watch us dominate we would head over to the other more family-friendly arcade.

I'd love to find an arcade down here again where I could actually pump a $1 coin in a Mortal Kombat 2 machine and just dominate it and put my high score in. MAME has been a great training tool over the years!

Unfortunately though, among all the ticket machines and Daytona-like games I haven't seen an arcade with any of the above-mentioned games since I was a kid. I can understand why... Most my friends think games like Mortal Kombat 2 etc are too dated and won't go near them. Usually because they are a lot younger than me. But it still sucks.

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme

Post by ChameleonAlpha » August 10th, 2013, 7:44 am

To be honest, the original MK trilogy (as well as Street Fighter Alpha 1 and 2, KOF '94 and '95, etc. ) are pretty outdated. The controls in those games are clunky, specially if you're used to modern fighting games. However, they're fun to play casually.
Also, I forgot about that. Arcades now are filled with ticket machines and Daytonas. I mean, they're fun to play, but come on, give me at least a KOF.

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » August 10th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Sorry Chameleon for going a little off topic here but, Street Fighter Alpha 1 & 2 are not outdated at all, and I'm not being a fan boy here, the playability of those games is excelent, the mechanichs are almost the same as in any SF to date, the versus experience is as good as you would expect from any other SF... The controlls are not clunky, in fact, the combo input of Alpha is almost as good as in SF 4 and it only requires some practice, did you tried the combo trials on SSF 4? well, I completed the whole thing and some combos require even more practice than any other SF in the series, some may consider also that the way you input your combos here is clunky because it requires PERFECT timing, but that's just a way to add dificulty to the playing sistem. Finally, the only bad thing about the games you mentioned is the cheap AI that reads your input all the time, mostly with MK and KoF.
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme

Post by ChameleonAlpha » August 10th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Thanks for making me come back to those games. I suppose I was a scrublord back then. Alpha 2 is great except for the fact that the Shoryuken motion and similar inputs sometimes don't work if you pick Normal Speed. If you pick Turbo you pretty much get curbstomped in the fifth fight. Street Fighter 4 is faster, which is great for today's anti-combo scrub like me.
I also came back to MK 2 and 3. 3 holds up surprisingly well compared to 2. At least for people like me, that are heavily confused by the game's mechanichs.

Lershy
Mame Addict
Mame Addict
Favorite Game: Space Harrier

Post by Lershy » August 16th, 2013, 5:14 pm

MK3 was great and all, but I played the hell out of MK2 in the arcades and on the Genesis growing up. That game for me is such a nostalgia fest and will always stand the test of time. That and Galaga..

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme

Post by ChameleonAlpha » August 16th, 2013, 9:42 pm

Oh yes, I think it's because it improved so much after the first one. It's kinda like how I love KOF '96 even though the next games are superior.

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » August 16th, 2013, 10:59 pm

Lershy wrote:MK3 was great and all, but I played the hell out of MK2 in the arcades and on the Genesis growing up. That game for me is such a nostalgia fest and will always stand the test of time. That and Galaga..
ChameleonAlpha wrote:Oh yes, I think it's because it improved so much after the first one. It's kinda like how I love KOF '96 even though the next games are superior.
I totally agree with you guys, everybody seems to like MK3 better, but for me, MK2 was much more of a revolution when it came out, as chameleon says, the improvements from MK1 to MK2 were far greater than the ones from MK2 to MK3
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

nightshade
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by nightshade » October 3rd, 2013, 2:50 am

we had 4 arcades in my area owned all by the same people they rotated the games to the marquee one down to the slum location and luckily the one I frequented I was friends with the owners son in law so let me in on all the sleaze ball (in my opinion)tactics that was considered acceptable for the business (and warned me of them when his location used them )

like for starters when they had a new game it was ok to make the price 50-1.00 for one play and the game was set on the hardest lvl possible the same for pinball but you'd only get 2 balls instead of 3 theyed also turn off extra lives/balls in games that had them and other ways owners could @!#?@! with the games I always attritube those tactics to part of the reason why arcades disappeared again

other reasons were is the huge amounts of money the blew on big screens for some games .....they were projection screens and had to be replaced every month or so at 200-300 a pop if they'ed had todays big screen tech the savings would of been huge

but I knew something was up when tthey hadn't had anything new in almost 6 months and was told that all the new games had like motion things attached to them (like skate boards and rafts with oars to row) and they couldn't afford them and the games were too expensive for the customers to play a month or so after than all of em were gone now they just rent them ot the movie theatres