Rest in peace my dear arcade

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme
Favorite Game: KOF 96

Rest in peace my dear arcade

Post by ChameleonAlpha » January 24th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Founded in 1978, the arcade hall Dinos brought joy to all the gamers in the city. A few weeks ago, it closed down. I thought it was because of some difficulties and that it would be up again, but I stumbled upon a YouTube video when I looked it up on the internet.

I cried a little bit while I was watching this video, but at least I got some footage of it as I promised. You can clearly see Capcom VS SNK 1 at some point.
So to all of you that have an arcade hall that you frequent, I hope it lasts as long as this one did.
DINOS FOREVER! :cheers:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Rest in peace my dear arcade

Post by Hierophant » January 26th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Oh man, it's sad to see when places like this go down. The last dedicated arcade in my city shut down a few years ago now. I guess it can't be helped with everyone mostly playing games at home these days.

I take it the gentleman that the cameraman spoke to in the middle was the owner. Right? He seems like a really nice fellow.

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme

Post by ChameleonAlpha » January 26th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Yes, that was the owner. It seems he knows about videogames since he didn't have anything hacked.
There is an arcade across that street that has around 20 games and 4 of them are the Plus version of KOF 2002.

CaptainNeo
Favorite Game: Tutankam

Post by CaptainNeo » February 11th, 2013, 6:16 pm

sucks to hear about any arcade closing. Around chicago, there actually has been quite a few opening up with vintage games and pinball. Maybe we will get a rebirth of arcades? Hard to compete when you can play everything at home now. :(
Pinball collector, restorer and player.

drterror666
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme
Favorite Game: Wardner

Post by drterror666 » February 15th, 2013, 10:13 am

I grew up with arcades (as did probably most of the people on this forum!!!) and it was amazing when me and my brother uncovered cabinets playing Paperboy, Double Dragon, etc. But, as Hierophant mentioned, gaming is real home based thing these days. The arcades near me were becoming hives for dealers and scumbags anyway!

Long live MAME!!! :thumbsup:

midniteSamurai
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme
Favorite Game: Samurai Shodown 2

Post by midniteSamurai » July 25th, 2013, 8:42 am

There is a arcade in my town that at one time in the 90s and early 2000s was booming with people now many years till date the arcade is all abandoned with old arcade cabinets slowly glowing with the monitors all losing power yet still running. From games like revolution x to terminator 2 to street fighter 3 all empty while the demos play its so sad to see that around as advanced consoles are running the show. Looking at a empty running arcade is like watching yesterday's dreams that still have a place in our heart. LONG LIVE MAME indeed. :thumbsup:
ӨПΣ ᄃΛППӨƬ ЯΣFᄂΣᄃƬ IП ƧƬЯΣΛMIПG ЩΛƬΣЯ. ӨПᄂΥ ƬΉӨƧΣ ЩΉӨ ΚПӨЩ IПƬΣЯПΛᄂ PΣΛᄃΣ ᄃΛП GIVΣ IƬ ƬӨ ӨƬΉΣЯƧ.

Lershy
Mame Addict
Mame Addict
Favorite Game: Space Harrier

Post by Lershy » August 7th, 2013, 7:02 pm

There's an arcade about twenty minutes from my house but it's full of some pretty nasty people. Used to be one in the local mall, but sadly it closed over 15 years ago.

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme

Post by ChameleonAlpha » August 7th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Yes, they're dying off, but we can keep the dream alive. I hope that, someday, I can own one. Arcades are VERY popular around here, so once you settle one, you're pretty much guaranteed to make some profit. The bad thing is that you need to have the cash to build one first. Those machines are expensive, but I suppose that as long as one cab is a MAME cab, your arcade is pretty much filled.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » August 8th, 2013, 6:15 pm

The only arcades I've walked into in the last few years have been gargabe and I couldn't care less if they closed down. No retro games whatsoever (except for maybe a Point Blank and things like that).

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » August 8th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Whooooow!!! Man, I've been missing this thread! Chameleon... I played in that arcade center (Dinos) since first year of highschool... I have so many memories of that place, with my friends used to go that place all the time! In that place I beated wonderboy II for the first time, The simpsons... Also in that place we used to play KoF a LOT, we spent lots of hours from night until the morning (That place was open 24/7) beating each other and having a great time... One time in 1997 I reached 27 wins in a row playing "x-men vs street fighter" and then another 15 wins in a row (heheh I remember Antonio, the man who speaks in the video, telling me to keep winnig so he could sell more coins :tongue: ), my friends were there cheering for me and they always bring back that moment when we reunite for a birthday or something... We are dinosaurs man, a dying breed, we have to carry on our legacy no matter what, MAME FOREVER! :link: :viking:
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...