FrontEnd abilities

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Chevron
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

FrontEnd abilities

Post by Chevron » November 21st, 2012, 12:51 pm

So during my quest to get a working street fighter i have come to notice that some front ends preform better than others.

I use mala with latest mame 147u2 this may very well be pulled back to 145 or earlier after some tests.
as usual during tests of roms some work some dont so i tried mame32U901 on the same roms.

not only did it play some roms that didnt play in mala it played some games at a huge amount better framerate like killer instinct.

Has anyone else noticed a better framerate in some front ends compared to others.

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

Re: FrontEnd abilities

Post by jyarrison » November 22nd, 2012, 9:01 pm

Hmmm :confused: ....I don't think this is a result of your front end so much as it is different versions of MAME that is giving you this result. The front ends are simply a fancy way of launching games through MAME and other emulators, they should have no effect on the quality/speed of the game being played once it is launched.

Now different versions of MAME are VERY LIKELY to have this effect. Some ROMS you may have might work with older versions and some might work with newer versions of MAME. As MAME becomes more accurate (with newer versions) some games require better hardware to play on. For Example: I know my laptop runs Cruisn' USA great in MAME .119 but on MAME ver .142 it struggles quite a bit. So if you are running MAME ver .145 or .147 through MALA, you'll be able to play the latest games MAME has to offer but some 3D games will require a powerhouse CPU. You should see what version of MAME is actually running in the MAMEUI. My guess is it is an older version of MAME. Hope this helps.

Good Luck! :smile:
JY

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » December 2nd, 2012, 12:34 am

Only thing a front end will do is lag the preview theme. I don't see how it lags on the game itself.

Chevron
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Chevron » April 9th, 2013, 8:36 am

As this question also falls under frontend abilities i thought id keep the forums clean by posting inhere instead of a new thread.

Does anyone know if ANY of the frontends have the ability to play browser games in.

As in have a link to a browser game in the game title and using the joystick as mouse?
as my next mame bos will more less a a games beast with all emulaters and roms and some great browser games?

or the ability to use an android emulater for apks?

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » April 9th, 2013, 4:54 pm

I know GameEx can be setup to launch a program i.e a shortcut to a website that you can make by draggin a droping from your browser to your desktop. I did it with Dungeon fighter Online.

Also the newer version is compatible with Steam!

Chevron
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Chevron » April 10th, 2013, 7:06 am

I have never tried gameex.

How easy is the setup and how is the front end visually? can it be beautified passed a basic list ? with themes?

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

Post by jyarrison » April 10th, 2013, 7:35 am

I am running GameEx in my cab. I chose to go with it becuase 1) it is very easy to set up and 2) it is still being actively developed and supported. There may be some other front-ends that look a little nicer but are very difficult to set up or are no longer being developed. GameEx does have quite a few different themes to choose from. Then once you choose a theme you change change the view of that theme from in GameEx so it can give you many different looks. The most common one you see though on the web is a more basic list type theme. I have to think the reason for that is this type of navigation through GameEx (while not the most visually impressive) is a really simple and fast way to get through the different menus/emulators.

That said, I am a big fan of GameEx.
JY

Chevron
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Chevron » April 10th, 2013, 7:55 am

Thank jyarrison i shall give it a try.

Chevron
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Chevron » April 11th, 2013, 8:36 am

Although gameex is very good. in fact its awesome - for people who know how to use computers.

I have kids who can read and adults who cant even turn on a pc playing my Mame box so gameex is not right for me.

I use mala at the moment and its very straight forward. turn on and there's your game selection with screenshots.

is there a way to have it like this with gameex?