Kong Off 2

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Kong Off 2

Post by Thulsa » October 19th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Coming soon to a bar near me.

http://the-1up.com/kongoff/

I am going to try and check this out next month. I am hoping to meet either Steve Wiebe or Billy mitchell. Who knows if they will actually show.

I need an MA shirt stat! Gotta represent!! lol

I wonder if they offer press passes I could try and score an interview!
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: Kong Off 2

Post by Incito » October 19th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Dude, it you wear a MA shirt and get a picture with one of the player, I will burst with joy forever! :hooray:

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » October 19th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Well here is the deal.

I have already purchased my VIP ticket so I will be there for sure. I got so excited I had to take a Nitro pill or suffer another heart attack.

My plan is is to attend the meet and greet and all days of the competition. I need an X large XX large depending on the shrink after wash. MA addicts shirt and large as well. My friend that is going with me has agreed to wear the shirt with me all three days. Do we even have shirts? If so can can I get hooked up with the two sizes I need for some MAME Addicts advertising.

I can't guarantee that I can get a picture with anyone and include the shirt. I will certainly try to do my best. the last thing I want to happen is I get kicked out because I am trying to snag some unsolicited advertisement. I don't think they will care if I am walking around in a MA shirt. Might be different if I am trying to get pictures in it. I am very respectful of people and the rules that may be set up at this event.

Also while the stars are listed on the venue there is no guarantee that they will show up.

Chris I am also interested in using our twitter for posting some live score feeds while I am at the event. Let me know what you think.

I am all excited again. With Twin Galaxies moving to my neighborhood hopefully there will be many more events like this. In the past Colorado has been a wasteland for arcades. 1up is about the only place that is like a real arcade. It is a bar stocked with about 40 machines and a few pinball tables.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » October 21st, 2012, 7:23 pm

Billy will probably just send in a tape of his gameplay and be declared the winner while he's chilling back at the Hot Sauce Rancho Relaxo.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » October 22nd, 2012, 10:23 pm

Hah Hiero. Ahh Billy Mitchel I wonder if he is as bad as he seems on film.

Here is a video about the first Kong Off. I found it pretty interesting what people said about the movie King of Kong. Check it out.

~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » October 24th, 2012, 4:02 am

That is actually very interesting. My only frame of reference for Billy prior to watching that Kong Off vid was, of course, The King of Kong. It could be like they said about King of Kong spinning the whole Hollywood style good guy vs. bad guy thing as much as possible to make a more interesting movie. Who knows, maybe Billy enjoys playing up to the image of the villain and King of Kong is just a gigantic manipulation.

Thanks for sharing that, Thulsa. I feel much more circumspect about the whole affair now than when I wrote my little joke. That's probably as it should be, too. Con job or not, King of Kong has a caused a bit of a classic arcade gaming revival. In the face of the relentless waves of mindless FPS clones that constitute so much the gaming industry today, it seems that people increasingly seek to escape to a better time.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » October 24th, 2012, 10:24 am

Well put Hiero. For better or worse the King of Kong put arcades back in the spotlight. For that I am forever grateful!
~Thulsa Doom~