MAME cab intro movie

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

MAME cab intro movie

Post by jyarrison » October 17th, 2012, 1:12 pm

I have been playing a bit with Windows Live Movie Maker and came up with a little intro movie for my cab. Have a look and tell me what you think. I am open to feedback (whether it is good or not!) so be honest. This is my first time playing with Windows Movie Maker so I'm still learning it, although it does not seem to have a lot of functions so maybe I've got it by now...
JY

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Re: MAME cab intro movie

Post by Thulsa » October 17th, 2012, 1:30 pm

I like it!!!

My only complaint would be that it is all pictures and no video of the attract modes.

Otherwise i like it. Solid music and all.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by jyarrison » October 19th, 2012, 9:26 am

You're absolutely right Thulsa. After having a few days to look over this, it is a bit plain. I think encorporating some videos in the mix would help it have a little more pizazz.

Of course I was trying to take the easy way out and just use the snaps, but you never really win by taking the easy way out. Thanks for the feedback. :hello:
JY

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » October 21st, 2012, 9:08 pm

Windows Movie Maker is a good introduction to video editing techniques because it's so simple that anyone can use it. However, such a basic feature set can quickly become too limiting once you start dreaming up some better ideas. I haven't used WMM for a long time, but having only one video track on the WinXP version puts it in the most primitive class of movie editing software.

When I want to do anything more complicated than stringing material together in a single row, I use Sony Vegas Pro, a vastly more powerful program. For example, Vegas supports unlimited video tracks and 3D track motion. When I think about the possibilities that such features offer my imagination starts running wild!

There's obviously going to be a much steeper learning curve in a full-featured program like Vegas, but it's well worth the effort if you find that your creativity is being confined by the limitations of WMM.

Anyway, I thought you did a good job for your first time, JY. WMM handled the text parts well and the way you synched the music to them was really cool. Thulsa already hit the nail on the head with his criticism about the still shots so I can't add much else there.

It's an interesting topic, too. Even though I'm no MAME cab guy, I do enjoy video editing and graphic design. This might get me inspired to try my hand at making some intros for you cab guys.

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by jyarrison » October 23rd, 2012, 7:17 am

Hierophant wrote: This might get me inspired to try my hand at making some intros for you cab guys.
That would be awesome. I have seen some of your sketches and you definitely have an artistic side. I'm sure you could create something really cool. If you ever make a movie, I would love to see it!
JY

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 24th, 2012, 4:27 am

Thanks for that, mate! :hello:

My brain hatched the germ of an idea while I was thinking about what would make for a cool MAME cab intro. The first step in the process is to do some storyboard work to focus the concepts I have whirling around into a clear progression.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » October 24th, 2012, 10:19 am

DIBS!!! on the intro movie!! lol
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 5th, 2012, 5:32 am

I've done a rough first storyboard of my cab intro idea. The next step will be to gather or create several hundred graphic, audio, and video media assets that I'll need in order to turn the vision into reality. Just for starters, without having done any serious tests in Sony Vegas yet, I estimate that about 150 - 200 unique MAME game captures should do the trick in the main video department. That being said, it will be a while before you hear any further news on the project...